New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Token problem  (Read 6626 times)

Offline hornetgod13

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • hornetgod13 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Token problem
« on: September 17, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
Hello all. New to the forum so please so mercy.

I own a 1988 IGT Double Diamond Deluxe S2000. I takes both tokens and quarters. It came with a limited number of mismatched tokens and I wanted to purchase more.

I went on ebay and purchased what I thought would work as per the listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281798013117?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They cash out perfectly but, drop right through the insert coin slot. They are magnetic and my other token I have are not. Will these not work? Is there something I need to do to the machine to have them work?

If these are incompatible, is there a token I can use? Also, I can't find where to convert the machine to just quarters.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Token problem
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
1988 would not be an S2000, it would probably be an S+.  If you open the door, you will see the coin-in handling equipment.  One of those pieces is the comparitor, which should have a sample token inserted on it.  If you change this coin to a quarter, it will work with quarters only.  The comparitor matches the metallic content with the sample coin, if it doesn't match the incoming coin, it will reject it.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline hornetgod13

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
I went and double checked and you are right about it being an S+ Model # B 4033D

I have looked at the coin comparitor and see no where to swap out coins. I've attached a picture.

I have viewed videos on you tube and the IGT coin comparitors shown does not match the one in my machine.

I think the new tokens being magnetic make them non-compatible.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
It's a little hard to tell from your photo but maybe you have a mechanical coin acceptor that is made to only accept non-magnetic coins/tokens. If all of the tokens that came with the machine are non-magnetic then I'd guess those are the types of tokens your machine is setup for. As you've found out you can buy tokens that are magnetic or non-magnetic.

Originally your slot machine had an electronic coin comparator and later someone converted it to using the mechanical coin acceptor. If you want to convert it back the electronic coin comparators are available for low cost. With them you simply insert a sample coin or token into it and then that is what the machine accepts. Attached below is an example of a coin comparator. They come in different models depending on the slot machine they work with. This way you can easily set the machine to accept quarters or tokens, depending on the sample coin you install into the comparator.

Keep in mind that if you convert your machine to only accepting quarters you'll be tying up a good chunk of money with a bunch of quarters in the hopper. And as friends & family play the machine you'll have some "leakage" with quarters they take away. Many homeowners prefer using tokens for these reasons. If you decide to use tokens it is best to get a bunch of them at one time so they are identical, they will need to match the sample token in the comparator to work.

Another idea is to play using credits. If the machine has a bill acceptor you can insert paper money, put a bunch of credits on the machine and then play by using the credits. This way you can get away from having to use coins/tokens.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:29:29 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »
Yes, you have a coin acceptor, so you are limited to the token type you have unless you change to a comparitor.  The issue is that you have to get the exact same tokens that work, which you may not be able to find.   So unless they can send you a sample coin to test, you are going to be buying all kinds of tokens blind.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline hornetgod13

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
Can I install a coin comparitor like pictured above in my machine? Is it plug and play or are there modification required? Will my magnetic cherry tokens work in it?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
I think your cherry tokens will work fine with the correct comparator, and the ebay ad says they work in IGT machines so you have that as further info. I suppose if they don't you'd have a valid reason to return them to the ebay seller for a refund.

The comparator does plug in easily, but there may be other parts removed from your machine when the mechanical coin acceptor was installed. You'll need to take some clear well-lighted photos showing the inside of the door so the folks here can see if the comparator mount, cables, etc are still present. It does look like the optics boards are still there.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
you have a IMONEX coin ACCEPTOR - which means the coin optic board has been modifed (Q2 or Q4) was cut - with the imonex it will accept tokens and quarters HOWEVER there is usually a small magnet in the Imonex which would reject magnetic tokens - remove the magnet and all your tokens will work. You CANNOT use a compartor without replacing the OPTIC BOARD as well. 

Offline hornetgod13

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
I dug into on my own and discovered the magnetic sensor (small round magnet). I carefully removed it and now my tokens work. Thanks for the assistance and education.

Side note... Can my optics board/coin acceptor be repaired or will the coin comparitor in the eBay link work? It states its for a S2000. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comparitor-holster-coin-optics-etc-for-I-Game-S-2000-Vision-Game-King-TESTED-/252092024838?hash=item3ab1db0806

I only ask if I ever want to go back to accepting just quarters.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
The coin-in optics are cheap enough that you are just better of buying a known working set instead of trying to fix one.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »
yea ,  you have a S+,  just by virtue of the game installed, no deluxe game can run in a S model.  you can install a cc-16  as long as you can find the pigtail where the connector  will plug into that will power the cc-16. 

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE OPTIC BOARD, EVEN IF Q-2 OR Q-4 HAVE BEEN CUT. EVERYTHING WILL OPERATE THE SAME WAY, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THAT MODIFICATION WAS EVER MADE.

HOWEVER YOU have an old 5 pin optic, they are harder to find.    the IMONEX is a great acceptor, some models will accept American quarters, and tokens sized .900 through .984

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline buybestslots

• Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 06:04:17 AM »
easiest  way is to buy a coin op 25 cent rejector that that's  quarters only    , found on ebay  and replace your black  one no wire to play with  just snap it in

Offline hornetgod13

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 07:13:10 AM »
The coin acceptor in it now does not require power. I see the coin comparator several have mentioned has an electrical connector. I'm not sure, as mentioned previously, where to source the proper power pigtail and if the current wiring would accommodate it.

Offline buybestslots

• buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
that why  I say  stick with non power like you have, but one for 25 cents if that's what you want they are cheap and no chance of burning something out by  hooking up old wires

Offline hornetgod13

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:08 AM »
O.K. I'll stick with what I have installed. It seems reliable and I'm happy with it accepting quarters and the 1,000 magnetic cherry tokens. Thanks for the advice. You gave me the courage to dive in and modify the current coin acceptor rather than send the tokens back or buy a coin comparator.

Offline buybestslots

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »
 :I_agree_1:
O.K. I'll stick with what I have installed. It seems reliable and I'm happy with it accepting quarters and the 1,000 magnetic cherry tokens. Thanks for the advice. You gave me the courage to dive in and modify the current coin acceptor rather than send the tokens back or buy a coin comparator.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal