New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Arduino Based TITO System  (Read 30143 times)

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • foster New User barely matters.foster New User barely matters.
Arduino Based TITO System
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:01:17 AM »
This would not have been possible without some help from TZTech and parts from a Bally MasterCom 250 system
Parts from MasterCom 250 are the VFD display parallel and serial versions, and keypad
Other parts required Max232 or other EIA232 or RS232 driver/receiver chip
Your machines must support SAS and TITO fully.

I have developed a TITO and Legacy bonus System using a Arduino Leonardo, Uno and others that use the ATMega328 or ATMega32u4

Features:
Custom scrolling message on the Bally MasterCom display on top line of display and Good Luck flashing on bottom line. bottom line used for machine status messages: Tilts, errors, tickets, etc
TITO - Ticket-In, Ticket-Out using system validation
Legacy Bonus I have 5 values triggered by the keypad and one value for the change or service light player switch.
read machine Coin in and out meters with out using the jackpot key or opening the door.
Major machine event are displayed on the VFD
  Examples: Main Door opened/closed, reel tilts, ticket inserted, redeemed, legacy bonus amounts awarded, etc, etc.
Hand pay reset without the jackpot key.

Features I had originally added to it but removed due to ruining the 1K or so EEPROM that can accessed via the EEPROM library
  SAS progressive was easier to change the value via the keypad than using the key chip.
  Player tracking  amount wagered and won with names no cards needed (easily handed 20 players)

I will help any that are willing to pursue their own Arduino TITO setup.
You must do the coding I will help with minor issues and hints I want to keep most of my code for my use. and I may not code the same as you.
Also You may want to search for the SAS Implementation  on the Montana government gaming site.

You will need to watch how often you send gen poll then poll that machine
20 ms delay between the 0x80 and 0x81 bytes is required or repeated replies from the machine will occur
Thanks to TZTech for pointing this out to me

A reasonable donation to NLG for site costs will get some serious help in the coding area.

A big hint: The protocol is serial 19,200 bps, 9 data bits 1 start and 1 stop.

Here is a YouTube video of my system displaying machine status messages.

VFD Demo 1

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:29:25 AM by foster »
Coca-Cola and Slot Machine Addict

If you find this site helpful
Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Topic Moderator
Re: Arduino Based TITO System
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »
I just got done designing schematics and PC boards 2 versiions of a Arduino TITO system

Basic System with no Keypad or LCD/VFD connectivity Single Sided Printed Circuit board with through hole components
  Either 5V input via the machine interface header or 7-14V via DC power jack (5v regulator on board)

Full version Display VFD or LCD and keypad - supports both Bally MasterComm 250 Displays and has enough extra pins to handle any keypad matrix every pin(except D0, D1 used by the UART) from the ATMega328 is connected to the 26 pin header for the display and keypad
One end of the header is wired the same way  the 14 pin(2x7) header is on the Hitachi 44780 driven LCD including the Noritake CU20025 series of VFD's, Serial LCD or VFD will only use 3 of the pins.

I would order up some boards but they are very expensive per board unless I order over 50 boards. I have only checked one or two PC board makers.
$500-$700 for 100 boards depending on which version etc

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:52:56 AM by foster »

Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:12 AM »
Here are my PC Board designs
Version 1.0 only supports basic TITO and legacy bonus via change light on/off sequence
Version 2.0 has provision to handle keypad and display as noted above the 3 pin device in the middle is the optional potentiometer for LCD contrast use only.
Most LCD's in player tracking have a decent back light setting so its left alone.
The Display D4-D7 are the D4-D7 designations on the Hitachi 44780 driver I use the Arduino A0-A5 pins to drive the display and the keypad D4-D7 are the Arduino Digtal pins

I had to fix a missing capacitor I didn't change version numbers because it was an design error on my part and not a true update.
I goofed while rearranging a cap and it was auto connected to a pin was supposed to have its own cap.
I didn't miss it until I was double checking max232 cap requirements and looking at the correct schematic for a max232 circuit.
for those that are curious it was a cap that auto connected to pin 2 or 6 and was already connected to either 2 or 6
so my first 3 boards will either be hand drilled to allow the 2 caps to both be on top or I will just putt on solder side between VCC and Pin 2 , and 6 and GND.

It is the programming that was tricky.

I added some details to this post.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:04:23 PM by foster »

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
Nice work!  I'm going to share this thread with a friend who has done some Arduino programming -- I'm sure he'll find it interesting.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »
I'm still waiting for my first batch of 3 boards.
12 days is a long time.
It was assigned to a full panel with other boards by Osh Park on the 21st.
I suspect they will get either the full panel back or the loose boards Thursday or Friday.
Since the Osh Park staff do a lot of the checks before they add it to a full PCB Panel of other boards to be sent to the PC Board maker.
I get to do the Board Assembly. glad I have a decent Soldering Station.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
Here is one of the fully assembled boards.

I had to put 2 of the Max232 caps on the solder side since I messed up the layout on these
the final version will have all 4 caps correctly placed.

I also found out I didnt leave enough room for the caps as well.
I had to adjust the schematics and board layouts to allow for small electrolytic capacitors
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:19:46 AM by foster »

Offline 747builder

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • 747builder New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:29:51 AM »
Foster,

Very nice. hope you socket the IC's in case they go bad or are bad before soldering into the board, be easy to change out later.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
The ATMega328 is in a socket
So I can change someones message if they like.

I do not want a firmware snafu ruining a board either.

Offline DocPaul1

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • DocPaul1 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:58:15 AM »
Mr. Foster:
  I saw the Utube video of your scrolling "Welcome" message.  Is that public domain or is it your propriety sketch ??  If public, could you send me a copy for my 1602 Arduino system ?  Thank you in advance.
Doc.

Offline MartinS

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MartinS New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »
Hello guys

I know this is an old topic but pardon me. I am looking for some pointers to making a physical connection between an IGT S+ machine and an Arduino for serial comms. Thanx in advance.

Offline DocPaul1

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:47:34 AM »
Hi Martin.
  Let me get back to you on this subject after Easter.  I have pics to show what I've done and also an Adruino sketch using various LCD displays.
 I also have wiring diagrams to make any install very easy.
 Doc.

Offline MartinS

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »
Thank you. I will appreciate that very much!!

Offline nippit

• nippit New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 07:13:41 AM »
Hi Guys,

I know this is an old tread,

@foster @doc, so is the sketch public?

or where can i get it?

I would like to get this working on my machine

any help is appreciated

cheers
ZoTaR

Offline DocPaul1

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
The one that I have I will declare as Public Domain.  You can adapt, adjust, add or subtract from it as you please.
I will put the sketch and a video (if i can figure out how to link it to this site) here and you can work from there.
I won't be able to get to it until mid next week or there about.

I had a lot of fun writing and playing with it and I hope that you will have fun with it also.

Doc.

Offline DocPaul1

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 04:52:36 AM »
This is to Nippit:
  I finally got my act together and I have the sketch info you wanted.  If you PM me I will send you the info so as not to bother any other users with my junk.
Doc.

Offline MartinS

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 02:21:42 AM »
Kindly, may I also PM you. I also requested for similar help. Thanx

Offline DocPaul1

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 02:29:20 AM »
MartinS: absolutely, PM me anytime.
Doc.

Offline MartinS

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 03:57:27 AM »
Hi guys,
First of all I want to thank @Doc for sharing info on his IGT S+ Arduino project. While I was fascinated by it, and might eventually incorporate ideas from it into my project, I am really interested in something different. I, particularly, want to establish SAS communication between an Arduino micro-controller and my IGT S+ machine. I am seeking help with:
(i)                  The physical (pin to pin) connection between the Arduino and the machine, and
(ii)                A basic sketch for, say, sending a General Poll to the machine and receiving a response from the machine.
I have, based on various posts here, done some work on the above 2 but without success. That’s why I decided to stop pulling out my hair, and seek help from you all. Perhaps if I describe what I have so far, someone will kindly give me a much needed push. Here goes

1.       Arduino Sketch
I have attempted to write a sketch to send a General Poll command, receive the response and display it on an LCD. This uses 11 bits serial communication (1 Start bit, 9 Data bits, 1 stop bit) at 19,200 baud rate (per SAS protocol). I even put a 20ms delay between the 0x80 and 0x81 transmissions, as suggested by Forster and others here. I have tested this between two Arduino Megas and it seems to work, but doesn’t work between Arduino and machine.

Please see attachment  - Sketch "Arduino_SAS_Host".

2.        The Circuit
I have a breadboard for the power supply and 74H04 IC setup as follows:

a.       5V+ power comes from J9 of machine : J9-1 to GND rail and J9-2 to VCC rail of breadboard, and goes into
b.      7805 IC with 1000uf and 100uf caps, which gives
c.       5V+ and GND to lower power rails of the breadboard
d.      Chassis ground connected to lower GND power rail of bread board[size=78%] [/size]

I then have J4 of the machine and 74H04IC setup as follows:

e.      J4-2 to lower GND rail of breadboard
f.        J4 -7 to lower 5V+ rail of breadboard
g.       J4-5 to pin 1 of 74H04
h.      4-9 to pin 12 of 74H04
i.         Pin 7 of 74H04 to lower GND rail of breadboard, and
j.        Pin 14 of 74H04 to lower 5V+ rail of breadboard

Then, I have the Arduino, 74H04 and LCD setup as follows:

k.       Arduino GND to lower GND power rail of breadboard
l.         Arduino 5V+ to lower 5V+ power rail of breadboard
m.    Arduino RX1 to Pin 2 of 74H04
n.      Arduino TX1 to Pin 13 of 74H04
o.      Arduino SDA to LCD SDA
p.      Arduino SCL to LCD SCL[/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size]
Guys I am just a bean counter by occupation and have reached my wits’ end. I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanx in advance.

Offline iwalker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • iwalker New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
Hello MartinS

There is tons of information on the old NLG Site - http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?PHPSESSID=50363d01032867fb14aa35aab67bb5ea&board
Specifically releted to S+/PE+ comms - http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=11773.25

Offline MartinS

• NLG
Succesdes with Arduino SAS Host
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 07:13:39 AM »
Hello guys.
I pressed on with my Arduino Host project  and I am delighted to report success :dancing_2: :dancing_2: . I am now able to send general polls to my IGT  S+ from my Arduino and receve Event Exception responses. For instance, I can get 11 (Slot door closed) and 12 (Slot door open) as well as a couple of others I have coded.

I àm now struggling with long polls. For the last week I have been trying to read coin-in-meter, for instance, without any success. I have tried innumerable ways to no avail. I only get back the machine address. I've read in various places that this means the machine is not receiving a valid SAS poll.
Would someone PLEASE  give me some hints on how to implement the correct long poll.
Thanx in advance.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal