New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Not a slot, but it's my Western Electric model 304 desk phone, from 1949.  (Read 4609 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I've has this phone for well over 40 years, sitting in my room in various places. About a month ago, I "noticed" it, even though it had sat in its current location for 30 of those 40 years!
My uncle had given me this phone all those years ago. I remember fussing with it, using a D cell battery, hooking it up to the frayed wires coming out the back and hearing some clicking/static sounds on the receiver.  I must have been around 11 years old or so. No one told me how phones worked or that they had to be physically wired into the wall to work! I never looked. We had a wall phone so I never saw wires...duh! Well I was 11, and didn't have much of any father figure to show me stuff. I must have thought that the phone was more like a radio transmitter, who knows.
Fast forward to Jan 2015, when I notice that this phone has sat all this time.
I pick it up, and just make a statement: "I'm going to make you work."
I open the phone and actually LOOK at the inside. It's missing something on the dial... there's just a dial there and no wires to anything! Also the cord to the wall had been tossed out since it was so rotted and frayed. The receiver cord was also rotted. I tried to strip the cloth back. When I exposed the three wires, the insulation just crumbled off!
Next step... internet!
I found some great pictures and diagrams and ... a forum! A forum much like our old NLG! As nice as the new one is, and all the work to move over here, I still think the old site was easier to navigate. But that's another story...er...rant, for another day.
Through that forum and diagrams and help from some people there, I was able to figure out that I had a WE 304. I originally thought it was the more common 302, which looks identical other than the insides. I learned about two wire and four wire ringers, party line wiring and all sorts of fun phone stuff!
As the few weeks passed, I eventually got all the stuff I needed. I got a new dial switch thingy (looks like a set of contacts that attaches to the dial clock mechanism), the hang up switch (which was gone... just had the buttons), a new set of repo cloth wiring and the cute little round plate that clips on the dial face.
After some wrong wiring attempts (this was when I thought it was a 302) I got it corrected, plugged the phone in and got a dial tone!
The audio was great in talking and listening. And it's kind of fun to actually DIAL a number.
I feel great that it's working again and I think my uncle (who passed away years ago) would have been happy that I gave new life to an old phone.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Anyone ever read this?   :Scratch-Head: 
Makes me not want to bother posting another story, when there's no one here.
If a tree falls down in the forest...
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
Don't be discouraged, 73 people read it

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I read it. That's very nice. I have a 57 western electric payphone I'll have to post a pic of. I like those old phones too.  :cool_thumb_up:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline IFFV68

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • IFFV68 Is working their way up.IFFV68 Is working their way up.IFFV68 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
I read it,
I have one of those old phones with the leather feet. . Mine is dated 1936 inside,yes it still works.

To bad the Quality of plastic phones today only last a few years. These old phones will be working long after we are all gone.

It's not what you can afford to Buy?
It's what you can afford to keep!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Thanks everyone! I feel better now. I was having an abandonment issue with this post... actually I had forgotten about it!  :rotfl:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal