New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Neo Geo cabinet Restoration  (Read 5900 times)

Offline hairy otter

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • hairy otter New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Neo Geo cabinet Restoration
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:31:46 AM »

I bought a Neo Geo cabinet for my game room. For a bargain, but in worn out condition.

After only some minor technical repairs it was time to do something about its appearance. The cabinet itself is not too bad for his age, but the control panel has seen better days. There was an aluminum plate over it, which was scratched with some graffiti. Really not a pretty sight, so that had to be removed. But when this became apparent:

:Scratch-Head:

So, not to be revived.

I had to get started from scratch. The screws holding the sticks and hooks I found not a pretty sight. So I will also get rid of them.

In illustrator I have created a duplicate of the sticker. In order to emulate the original as closely as possible, I have the background grid made ​​up of all loose circles with the same angle and lpi (lines per inch) as the original.
With this result:

While I was at it I even added a pause button, as shown in the picture above.
Not original, but super convenient when the phone rings.

Also, the board could use some tlc by the looks of it:

After a good scrubbing with a toothbrush and some hand soap:

Now I can proudly show the cabinet.

Next project is the marque lighting. This would normally illuminate be the game currently playing, but the EL panel is missing. Even if it was stil there it would be burnt like most of his kind. But this project I discuss in an other topic.

Greetings Hairy Otter.

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
Re: Neo Geo cabinet Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »
Excellent F'n job! Just curious, but are you running MAME or an original board? The reason why I ask, how did you get a PAUSE function to work?
-------
Charles

Offline hairy otter

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »

Does this look like a mame board to you? ;)

I found some detailed info about it on:http://www.hardmvs.com/html/pause.htm

For the button you need a on/off switch and not a push button, so i managed to mod a switch from a 1$ led flashlight so it fits where the micro switch used sit in a Happ Standard button.

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:11 PM »
LOL! No not at all. I didn't know NEOGEO Arcade versions even had an option to Pause! Either way, kick ass job! I would love to see a full photo of the cab! I built a MAME cab 4 years ago for Mortal Kombat and run all my favorite NEOGEO games. Problem is that its MK button layout. Works good as the Run Button/Low Punch/Block/Low Kick tho!
-------
Charles

Offline hairy otter

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:28 PM »

Here's a picture of both of my cabinets:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7351/9740524782_f90594c060_b.jpg

On the left a the Neo Geo cabinet as I bought it, with the aluminium cover still on it. Its an original European cabinet build in Spain. The marquee I'm still working on. It was a two slot which was updated with a six slot some where along its live.
On the right you see my Mame cabinet. I build this from scratch. All from recicled materials. Some second hand mdf. A used pc. A coinslot from an old vending machine etc. Total cost less than 200€ (+-300 usd)

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:31:50 AM »
hard to get more than 150 usd  for a nice neo/geo here  when we sell in auction 

Offline hairy otter

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
hard to get more than 150 usd  for a nice neo/geo here  when we sell in auction
I would love those prices over here! But in Europe they had pay allot of duty on Japanese import, so there are Little original cabinets. Also other arcade cabinets like pacman etc. where put into generic cabinets. So if you find a dedicated cabinet, you have to pay allot.
I've been told this is the other way around with old pinballs. What is the price of a four million CB in the states? I've bought mine for 150€ ( -225 USD). It needed some electrical repairs and new rubbers but there were no high costs for parts.

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
yes pin tables are dear here  we  had about 20 container full shipped  here to us in 5 years up to 06

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal