New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Popping noise and foul smell?  (Read 686 times)

Offline mark1120

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • mark1120 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Popping noise and foul smell?
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
I recently took all my 3902 boards over to Interstate Battery to have them solder on some battery cell holders.  Yesterday, I started testing the boards to make sure the soldering was a success.  I used two machine cabinets and the same 22 chip to test about 30 boards.  My last 2 tests have not gone well.  When I inserted a board in machine "A", I heard a popping noise and experienced a foul smell.  I then tried a new board in machine "B" and experienced the same popping noise and foul smell.  I now see black marks in the same area underneath the multimedia lite boards.  Do you think it’s a coincidence that these failures happened consecutively (different boards in different machines) or could something have happened to my 22 chip that will also cause a similar failure on my next test?  Am I somehow overworking the chip or the machine cabinets with all these tests?  If I just replace the multimedia boards, do you think the main board, software, machine cabinets, etc. will be ok?  The last thing I want to do is damage the machines.  Thanks for the insights!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 385
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Popping noise and foul smell?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:38:51 AM »
Seems unlikely, but I think it was just coincidental.  C59 is a filter capacitor that filters the +13VDC power going into a +5VDC regulator used for the audio.  If nothing else is wrong with the MPU board it will work without it.  Audio may have a bit more hiss and humming in it though.

I've had a couple of C59s go up in smoke too.  It's rated at 16V, with 13V being applied to it continuously and over time fails.  A 25V rated cap would have been a better choice.

Your keychip definitely didn't cause them to smoke.

The MPU board on the left side of your photo has other issues too.  It's missing U74 for sure and I can't really determine from the photo, but looks like it may be missing a couple of resistor packs (RP16/17) right below U74 as well. 

C69 is the same as C59.  You could take C69 off of the MPU missing other components to replace C59 on the other MPU board if you wanted to.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal