New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 5000 plus stars and bars need help  (Read 2574 times)

Offline ATXFire

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ATXFire New User has no influence.
  • NLG
5000 plus stars and bars need help
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
last night, I picked up a 5000 plus in a package deal with other igt machines. I have not worked on any of the Bally machines and need someone to guide me.

The door lock had been drilled out and was inside the machine. New one ordered.
I pulled the mpu, and the battery is corroding, I need to replace that. Is this one I can replace with a lithium and socket?
On boot up, it starts to spin the reels in self test mode, but the spin is very slow and 1 reel or another is very notchy and sometimes stops. It’s usually reel 1, sometimes 2, not 3. Is that normal? This causes the machine to hang. Displays “wait for attendant reel 1 movement” yet they all move.
If I tap the reset button on the mpu, they stop moving, I get a display showing last pay, and last jackpot I think. The buttons don’t light, it won’t accept coins, etc.

If I press the right mpu button, it lets me go through some component tests. I can get the hopper to go, get the reels to do their slow rotate, and get some clicks and whatnot. Seems like the reels aren’t getting sufficient power, but I dunno.

Is this worth fixing? I’m also looking for a replacement button. The one credit button had the micro switch dangling out the back. I’m assuming it’s broken but have to pull it to be sure.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: 5000 plus stars and bars need help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
If you can post a few photos of the machine and the mpu showing the battery leakage that will help us evaluate what you have. Like they say, pictures are worth a thousand words.....

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline jancsi

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • jancsi New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »

I have 5000+ Stars and Bars.
Did you cleared Ram after replace the battery?
When was illegal reel movement sometimes need push  reset button for each real.

If cleared ram, try to clean leds and fotodiode on stepper motor assembly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:47:01 AM by jancsi »
Jancsi from Hungary.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »
PM me for info. and printed instructions.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »
Thanks for the info and replies. I haven’t pulled the battery just yet. I was working on another machine last week, and my solder station stopped working. That took some troubleshooting time away, found that my heating element broke. I ordered a new one and of course, I needed a soldering station to fix my soldering station! Bought a cheapie to fix it but haven’t received the new battery yet. Soon as I get this board cleaned up and a new battery on, I’ll post up pics and go from there.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:17:49 PM »
Hey all, I’m back and back on this one. I had a long wait for parts, still need more but I got that board cleaned up a bit, slapped a new battery in it. Still no love kinda. Posting pics of the machine itself, the damage to the board cleaned up mostly and I found that the bottom fuse, an 8A was smoked so it was replaced. I’m not getting any weird messages or errors, but it still won’t accept coins. Here is where I’m at.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:00:40 AM »
After replacing the battery you MUST perform a clear procedure.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
Badbaud, thank you for the instructions. Question. I found j15 on the logic board, and a block of other jumpers, across the bottom it says j14. I put the jumper both across, and inline but not getting the expected SF on the display. If I tap the pseudo coin button, it is registering the coin. Hitting spin gives me a reel error, I mentioned in my first post. Reel 2, in the center doesn’t spin. Manually moving it results in it moving some times but it’s really notchy where the outer 2 reels are slowly spinning and smooth. I reseated both connectors on the Center reel, and about to swap reels around to see if it’s the reel board, or stepper itself.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »
You could put the jumper back on the front left corner where you got it from.
Then pull the I/O board out part way so only the front ribbon cables are still connected.
Then power up and tap the test button one time.
Power off after clear and plug the I/O board back in.
That is another way to clear the computer board.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
Looks like we have movement now. I did that, and seems like reseating the io board also had the side effect of fixing the Center reel. Now I’m getting a coin jam error that doesn’t want to clear. Is it possible that the “coin jam” is referring to the hopper, and not the comparator? I had issues with the hopper when testing before, it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. This machine was sitting for many years. It’s currently cycling between the 2 screens attached.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
That is the comparator. Try cleaning the optics where the coin exits.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »
Whew! Got past that. Looks like there was some sort of spillage. Sticky something or another in one side of the comparator. The reel issue moved to the 3rd one, so I cleaned the io board and pins on both sides. Now I have the coin hopper out and it looks like the same spillage is in there too. I’m cleaning that now. Boy this machine is a pain in my ass to get going. These are way overly complicated. Thanks badbaud for the help! It’s greatly appreciated!

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
Old beverages and nicotine are natures super glue.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »
Lol, so true. So figured out that the magnet on the coin slot is bad. If I hold the path selector lever thing, as if the magnet pulled it, I get a coin to register. All the reels are now working properly every spin! Yay! Definite progress! The hopper is absolutely messed up. I got it to turn but the sticky stuff isn’t completely removed. One screw in the agitator star is stuck, I gotta get the wheel out to properly clean it. Now the machine plays, just errors on payout. So I’m not sure if the motor is burned out, 24v on the power supply is bad, or what yet. Also weird that the magnet won’t energize on the coin mech. Obviously the comparator works or I wouldn’t get the stuck coin with goo, or coin registered dropping one in. Also there’s no sound. Do these power supplies go bad where there is low voltage? When I run a payout test, the hopper will turn slightly backward then I get an error that the hopper is empty.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
Ok, first sorry for the rambling posts. I’m just trying everything under the sun between to try and figure this out. I removed the hopper motor, plugged in and the motor spins if I hold the coin register switch closed, but here’s the thing. The hopper runs backward. So what it was doing is trying to spin backward so a coin would jam, and the wheel really was stuck. It isn’t trying to go forward, just backward. Any advice on what to check? It was running forward when I first got this machine, that’s how I found goo and a stuck coin at the coin knife when I started this.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »
Reverse the two wires on the hopper motor.
Your coin comparator is probably bad, it is a 4 IC nightmare inside, If you are careful not to put in to many coins it should suffice.
I sell a keypad so you can program the game for credits and I also repair those old coin comparators.
PM me if interested if you want to get it fixed or want to purchase a keypad.

Offline ATXFire

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »
Kinda weird on the hopper motor though isn’t it? They’re soldered on so I don’t know how they could have been reversed. Sound was “fixed” by switching from deluxe to standard. It doesn’t have the deluxe sound board but sound is crap, worse than Atari 2600 so I see why they turned it off. Do you know what the resistance on the coil should be? I’d hate to send you the comparator if the coil is bad. Tomorrow I’ll mess with taking the hopper apart and cleaning it out.
I don’t think I’m going to need a keypad, this thing is going to be 100% working and go right on Craig’s list. I still have 2 igt s+ and a s2k that I should be working on, not keeping this one.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal