New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Topper questions...(Repair)  (Read 5363 times)

Offline rumjar86

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • rumjar86 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Topper questions...(Repair)
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
Hi guys, I have this topper that has been sitting in my spare room, which is now needed for my baby boy who is expected any day now, and have been wanting to get it functioning to some point, I have been looking around for parts, diagrams and components and testing instructions to see what could be wrong. one issue is the LED chasing ring isn't working, I found a blown surface mount fuse, and Diode but think there might be either a timer controller (6 pin IC) might be fried or something but am not sure. I know it is the 12 volt version ring as the colour code states it should be 12volt. I am however not sure if the plugs were interchangeable on both voltage types. I am also wanting to see if I can get some sort of communication between a computer and the Dot matrix LED screen. as far as I can tell it is only red LED and not RGB, but am not sure.
The topper is from a MASH video slot, the age am not sure but I am guessing it is from the early 2000's era as stamps state on the PCB's etc.
I am a huge fan of MASH and would love to have this running for my man cave.
Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Photo's etc of the topper and info I can give please feel free to contact me via PM or even reply to this post.
[size=78%]Thanks Josh [/size]

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • foster New User barely matters.foster New User barely matters.
Re: Topper questions...(Repair)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
Is it a IGT topper?

Coca-Cola and Slot Machine Addict

If you find this site helpful
Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline rumjar86

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »
Hey Foster, yeah it is an IGT topper from the markings on the PCB's etc.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:25:55 AM »
I suspect that the 5V regulator is bad usually from either too high input voltage  or polarity being reversed the fuse blows and the regulator dies.

5V regulator is the only 5 pin SMD on the board the two large caps are its filter capacitors and a good place to test for the input and output voltages of the regulator.
One cap will show 13V when you test the voltage across it, if you have it connected to a machine.
The other cap should have 5V across it

IF you find the regulator has died a standard 7805 can be used, it is over kill but works.
You will need to add some small wire leads to the 7805 and the easiest way to get it in the circuit is to solder the wires to the capacitor solder pads

I may have found an easily obtained replacement regulator but SMD soldering is required

the only other chip that can be damaged is the micro controller its the one with the label on it.
the other large chips are high current Darlington Pair Transistors to sink the LED current the micro controller can only handle 20mA or so

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:43:47 AM by foster »

Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline rumjar86

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:27 AM »
Thanks so much for that info... I will have to have a go when I get a new soldering station... need a finer tip and control over the heat etc. just a question regard to the dot matrix LED , Scrolling screen/total score, not sure what it's called... is there a way to interface it to a computer to send basic data through to show on it via rs232 or something similar? I have had some experience playing with interfacing with Roomba vac robots to computers etc so any semi complicated interfacing isn't too hard for me to attempt.
but yeah I will give it a go with the LED chaser.
I have put a pic of what I think might be the one of the caps. I noticed someone has taken off another cap and the old fuse.

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:41:33 AM »
They pulled one of the caps.

The alternate regulator is a Micrel MIC5205 mouser still has the LP2980 just make sure you pick the 5V version it is a S0-23 package

The  LED matrix display is actually a Spectrum II display and its protocol is Netplex and proprietary to IGT.
If you have a S2000, Game King, I Game, it is set up as a stand alone progressive.
The I Game or Game King depending on the firmware on the Spectrum can do some simple messages
S2000 does not have the capability for messages, most likely a limit of the Game Chips.

What harnesses are there?
Are you trying to interface it to an IGT machine?

More pictures would be helpful

Offline CommTech

• Joe
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • CommTech New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:15:30 AM »
I suspect that the 5V regulator is bad usually from either too high input voltage  or polarity being reversed the fuse blows and the regulator dies.

5V regulator is the only 5 pin SMD on the board the two large caps are its filter capacitors and a good place to test for the input and output voltages of the regulator.
One cap will show 13V when you test the voltage across it, if you have it connected to a machine.
The other cap should have 5V across it

IF you find the regulator has died a standard 7805 can be used, it is over kill but works.
You will need to add some small wire leads to the 7805 and the easiest way to get it in the circuit is to solder the wires to the capacitor solder pads

I may have found an easily obtained replacement regulator but SMD soldering is required

the only other chip that can be damaged is the micro controller its the one with the label on it.
the other large chips are high current Darlington Pair Transistors to sink the LED current the micro controller can only handle 20mA or so
Great information Foster!  Thanks so much for posting the schematic! Very helpful reference!  :wave: :1:

Offline rumjar86

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »
Thanks so much Foster, your help is more then I could have hoped for. I haven't got any machine to put it to as of yet. would love to buy a fixer-uper but being in Australia buying and shipping is the killer, I was wanting to maybe make a video slot either based off the M*A*S*H machine they put out a couple of times... just using all the old bits of computers and other coin op gear I have collected over the years from the dumps etc. I will upload some more pics of the topper for you when I can. just working on cleaning the kitchen for the wife (Happy wife, Happy life)
thanks again for your help again

Offline rumjar86

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:29:54 AM »

Hi Foster , would you by any chance know what size Cap uF and volts is missing... just I've been sourcing the fusees for the blown ones and then looking at the caps then the regulator and work to the more complex parts... I just have to try and find a better soldering iron... my old station has had a quick death, darn flood water...
thanks for your help again.
Josh

They pulled one of the caps.

The alternate regulator is a Micrel MIC5205 mouser still has the LP2980 just make sure you pick the 5V version it is a S0-23 package

The  LED matrix display is actually a Spectrum II display and its protocol is Netplex and proprietary to IGT.
If you have a S2000, Game King, I Game, it is set up as a stand alone progressive.
The I Game or Game King depending on the firmware on the Spectrum can do some simple messages
S2000 does not have the capability for messages, most likely a limit of the Game Chips.

What harnesses are there?
Are you trying to interface it to an IGT machine?

More pictures would be helpful

Offline CommTech

• Joe
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • CommTech New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:29:30 AM »
Hi Foster , would you by any chance know what size Cap uF and volts is missing... just I've been sourcing the fusees for the blown ones and then looking at the caps then the regulator and work to the more complex parts... I just have to try and find a better soldering iron... my old station has had a quick death, darn flood water...
thanks for your help again.
Josh

Hi Josh,

The missing Capacitor would be a 3.3 uF,  with a voltage rating of 16 volts or higher.  35 volts would match your C1 capacitor.     

Offline trawley

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • trawley New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
All i purchased a polygon topper 91440000 suo happ and bought a harness and a 12VDC power supply I got the led ring and the candle to work but i am not to sure which wires to get the led back light to work I have been reading different types of these polygon toppers of where the back lights are even at do any of you know here there at?

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »
sorry my mistake
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal