New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Amateur radio (Ham Radio)  (Read 16235 times)

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • KirkLasVegas New User has no influence.
  • Yoda dog!
Re: Amateur radio (Ham Radio)
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
I installed a few in the "Tank"....Analog and P-25 stuff....

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • brichter New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 11:24:26 AM »
Congratulations KM6HMZ! Did you upgrade from a different class/call sign?
So you had a Baofeng too??? I bought one just because it was so cheap. I wanted to see how it worked... 

Brand new license!  :drool04:

I bought mine for the exact same reason!  :rotfl:
It works ok here (yep a lot of repeaters locally), but it worked a lot better with a $25 antenna upgrade. I got a Diamond dual bander and the SMA-BNC adapter and now it's fine. It's just hard to justify an antenna upgrade that cost more than the radio did! :arrowthruhead:

Beggars can't be choosers, a couple buddies of mine have been harassing me for ~25 years to get my license, but I just never got around to it. On New Years they said they'd buy me a radio if I could pass the test by the end of the month. I told them "better than that, I'll pass it by the end of the week!", and went down on the 7th and aced the test. One gave me the 2100, and the other sold me the 706 for a great price.

The 725 I've had for close to 20 years, used it for SWL.

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:26 AM »
I am alive :) been pretty quiet. Collecting Slots too, not many have 7 i think.
4 Aristocrats, a Bally S9000, a IGT 044 Gameking and a IGT AVP-2.
I am moving my old callsign to a club call (WB6EGR) the new call means "No Bull Shit" hahaha.

Hi, Kirk! Are you back in Vegas now?

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • KirkLasVegas New User has no influence.
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:33 AM »
Yes, back in Vegas. Hawaii was fun, a beautiful but BORING place to live and very expensive.
Crusing around on the Harley in shorts and a tank top, beach hopping was fun.
Back in Vegas, got a single level house on a 1/4 acre, pool...workshop storage and parking for a semi if needed.
Plenty of room for Wife, Myself and Yoda, no HOA to tell me what I can/cant do and room for LOTS of antennas...

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
Amen to the no HOA rules!! Wish I could put up an antenna farm!  :duh:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »
So I bought ANOTHER Baofeng HT! I had a BF 2 meter a while back and it was so crappy I just sold it.
Recently, I've returned to amateur radio as part of a neighborhood emergency group. So I now have a "new" Radio Shack HTX 212 hooked to a power supply in my room. I bought it for a whopping $30 on ebay, works great. I rejuvenated my Yaesu FT208R HT (the problem is that it needs a PL.)
Our neighborhood group consists of "Hams" like me and "the others," who use FRS radios. Some of the hams have both. But the FRS HT's are limited in output and most don't have a removable antenna.
But... here's where the Baofeng comes in... They're making other duel band models, not marked at "Ham Radios," but are right in there at 2 meters and 440. And, within that 440 are the FRS frequencies. And, it had a removable antenna, so I can attach it to an external antenna. Of course I'll ONLY use that for 2 meters and NEVER for FRS!  :Tongue_Out:
I bought the Baofeng UV5RE "plus" which covers a range of  136 - 174 MHz and 400 - 480 MHz although the listing says my "plus" version goes to 520. I'll have to check.
The radio does considerably more than what's listed the piddly "user manual" that it came with. After some poking around the internet, I found a 70 page manual showing all the other features this thing can do. The funniest thing is that is has both a LED flashlight AND another setting where the light flashes and a siren goes off! It also has an FM broadcast radio feature as well.
As for memory programing, it's definitely NOT user friendly. For a 2 meter repeater, for example, you must first put in the frequency. Then (and this is for each time) you must put in CTCSS, then the input frequency shift, then you must tell it if it's plus or minus. You save all that to your desired memory channel. After that, you think it should work but it wont! You have to go back to frequency settings and enter the input frequency and save it AGAIN in the same memory channel. Then it works. But after doing this a few times, it's not so bad. It's also tricky deleting memory channels but I got the hang of that too.
So for a $30 (ish) dollar radio, I'm happy and it was definitely an exercise for my brain. I think I reconnected a lot of old broken synapses, lost after getting a cell phone and forgetting telephone numbers.  :rotfl:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
Get yourself the serial cable ($15-20 on Amazon) and a copy of CHIRP (free), and programming this radio is quick and easy!  :Crazy:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
Thanks ! It's ordered. I'm getting better at keyboard programming too but I have a question...
I'm listening to remote program origination for an AM radio station at 450.500 MHZ. I reset everything to try adding it as a simplex station but it won't put it in memory! Any ideas why? I can even transmit on it so it's not part of a restricted band.  :Scratch-Head:

Just to answer this myself - I got the cable and downloaded CHIRP. I was able to add that frequency using chirp and it works GREAT! It's very easy to program once you start to use it. I was also able to just clone my other radio for all the same settings.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:07:28 PM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
SWR METER - help needed
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
I don't know how to read this. The instructions make no sense to me. I have a Daiwa CN 103L "cross needle meter." I think my 2 meter runs 30 watts on high power.  The meter has two switches: Range and Selector. I have the range on 20 but should it be on 200? The other switch selects AVG and PEP and I have it on AVG. The needles don't match to a proper SWR when I press transmit... it's off the scale. I hope this all makes sense. I used to know this but have been out of radio for 25 years.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
Ok I think I figured it out. My 2 meter puts out 10 watts on low and 45 on high. I had the meter set incorrectly. On low I get a reading of about 1.7 and on high about 1.8 ish. I'm using the super thick coax from the antenna to my room but had to add a piece of RG59  to reach the radio. That piece is about 20 ft long and think I must be getting some loss there. I don't need all that length so I may cut it to size.

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
Congratulations KM6HMZ! Did you upgrade from a different class/call sign?
So you had a Baofeng too??? I bought one just because it was so cheap. I wanted to see how it worked... 
I guess if you lived in a completely open, unobstructed area, with plenty of repeaters in your backyard (ha ha), it would be okay, maybe.  I live in range of plenty of repeaters and it took me quite some time to find a spot to key up one. I had to stand in the bed of my truck, and hold the little piece of crap as high as possible and FINALLY I got a faint ... beep.
Needless to say I re-sold my Baofeng and am far happier with my old Yaesu FT 208r.

That was when I first got my Tech license, Iupgraded to General at the end of July. Oh, and I changed my call, it's now KM6MHZ (for obvious reasons!  :Crazy: ). Still living in the townhouse, so HOA means no real antennas (at least that they know about...  :propeller: ). The good news is, my new house is almost done with the remodel and I won't have any restrictions when I move in! We're hoping to be done before Christmas, if not sometime in early January. We've been hammering at it (pun intended!) since late August, so it's been a long job.

As far as the Baofeng, I got a Nagoya antenna for it and it works well, I keep it in the glovebox of the truck. We've got a crapload of repeaters around here too, and with the new antenna I have no issue hitting most of them. If it gets dropped in the lake or run over by the truck or a dirt bike, I just go spend another $25 and get a new one :arrowthruhead: . I'd cry if I ran over my Icom HT...  :bawling:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
Good to see you can now have a real antenna and nice call sign.  :applause:
Yes I'm happy with my new and improved Baofeng. It works fine but it's just tricky to program. But once you figure out, it's easier to understand how it "thinks" so to speak. I did download the app for programming which makes it even easier.
The other thing I like is I can add things such as the weather channels and something odd - the uplink frequencies for a two AM broadcast stations I listen for news and information - talk shows basically. The funny thing is you get the audio BEFORE it runs through the delay system, so if they goof up (or swear) you hear it before it's nipped!

Offline ballywho

• Reputation Power: 3
  • ballywho New User has no influence.
  • The trouble is, you think you have time
Re: Amateur radio (Ham Radio) code requirement
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »
Never could get the part code right had the record and key, everything from lafayette radio
I think by holding on to that requirement they lost a lot of people

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
Re: Amateur radio (Ham Radio) code requirement
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
Never could get the part code right had the record and key, everything from lafayette radio
I think by holding on to that requirement they lost a lot of people

They felt the same way. Nothing stopping you now... Morse code hasn't been a requirement for any license since 2007!  :cool_thumb_up: :cool_thumb_up:

Offline ballywho

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »
    True but an keen interest in amateur radio or any hobby for that matter , except for slots maybe , at 58 is not the same as an
interest at 18,, code requirements sadly killed off a lot of potential hams
  they just jumped onto the PC bandwagon . Today age is a real
factor, I think my wrist would snap off if I tried to use my old Vibroplex
  but I might manage to send a few words,, an hour .

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
    True but an keen interest in amateur radio or any hobby for that matter , except for slots maybe , at 58 is not the same as an
interest at 18,, code requirements sadly killed off a lot of potential hams
  they just jumped onto the PC bandwagon . Today age is a real
factor, I think my wrist would snap off if I tried to use my old Vibroplex
  but I might manage to send a few words,, an hour .

Sorry to hear that! I just turned 57, got my Tech and upgraded to General last year.

Offline ballywho

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
Good for you ,No I tore my wrists up good in the military but of course the
VA hospital says otherwise, no one gets hurt in the military after all ..
You know the damage you do at 19 when you were 10 foot tall ,chrome
 plated and bullet proof , it all catches up to you when you are 60
with a vengeance .Like Indiana Jones would say its not the age its the mileage

Offline brichter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
I feel your pain, I've got an elbow that doubles as a weather reporter thanks to the USAF.

Offline ballywho

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 08:00:34 AM »
Lol same here and a broken hand with a mind of its own
  I keep waiting for that aging like fine wine part  its more
 like getting moldily like cheese so far

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal