New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Repair Hall of Shame  (Read 15670 times)

Offline channelmaniac

• Surface mount soldering geek
  • Global NLG Site Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Few things are better than fixing an old game...
    • Arcadecomponents.com - Looking for hard to find chips?
Repair Hall of Shame
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »
Have you ever had service by a company that you weren't happy with? I've had many boards come across my bench that were repaired by others using incorrect parts, improper repairs or modifications, missed fixing problems, jury rigging repairs, pulled pads/traces, oh, and my favorite: parts covered in hot glue.

This thread will serve to document the horrible things that have come across the bench. I'll not name any names, but the customers who send me these boards usually tell me who did the terrible work.

If these are your boards and you have replies from the companies, feel free to post them here, but I'll ask that you scrub names out - including company names and email addresses as to not start any internet wars on my repair logs.

If you have any comments on the horrific repairs, please use the feedback thread to keep this one clean.

Thanks!

Raymond

NOTE: There are pictures on this thread, but to see them you must be logged into the NLG forums.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:21:48 AM by channelmaniac »
I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com

Offline channelmaniac

• channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Repair Hall of Shame
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
First up!

A Neo Geo 4 slot board with a Work RAM error and an additional complaint of being "loud and distorted" on audio. The board had been recapped by another company and a battery modification was relocated. Not only was the problem with the loud and distorted audio not fixed (it was a bad YM2610), the caps were physicall too large and of the wrong kind (axial vs radial.) The axial caps had poked through the fishpaper shield above them and were making contact with the top board.

Instead of using the right caps elsewhere, they used an axial in the reset circuit too... and a 470uf instead of 47uf in the battery backup  circuit.

In the audio section there were solder blobs where the solder wasn't even flowing onto the pad and one instance of a pulled ground pad on a 22uf capacitor in the headphone amp section.
I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

Offline channelmaniac

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
Neo Geo 4-slot continued!

The lithium battery relocation was done, but they didn't remove the 470 ohm resistor that is in the charging circuit. This is VERY dangerous as those batteries can explode or leak highly corrosive materials all over the board. The damage by these batteries is far worse and far faster acting than the original, leak prone NiCd batteries.

The 470 ohm resistor can be clearly seen next to the battery in the picture.

The next picture is of the battery with the plastic cover removed. Notice that the battery is bulging on one side of the formed end? WOW! The owner was very lucky that this one didn't spew its contents all over the board.

Offline channelmaniac

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
This is what happens when you take sandpaper to an edge connector.

NEVER do this! The proper tools are a pink or white eraser or a fiberglass pencil.

Offline channelmaniac

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Some folks have a fetish for hot glue. Just repair the board right!!!

Replace those resistor packs, don't glue them into place! And why glue the caps down? I've repaired a lot of Galaga boards and have yet to see those caps broken or missing.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal