New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally "lucky twins" restoration  (Read 3334 times)

Offline worldonedge

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • worldonedge New User has no influence.
  • Living across the pond and very far South
Bally "lucky twins" restoration
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »
Good day to all. I am a new kid on the block. I am contemplating buying an old Bally "Lucky Twins" Slot machine. Non operational but supposedly complete. Understanding that I am a complete newbie to slot machines, how difficult would it be to restore to working condition? I am handy with a soldiering iron, have some mechanical skill and knowledge of Solid state electronics. I do as a hobby restore old radios and turntables. Am I mad or is this a road I want to go down?Warm RegardsBrian

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally "lucky twins" restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
Hello and welcome.. :wave:

Sounds like a great project. The first thing to do is to do cleaning of the old sticky grease, then proceed to re-grease and oil and the pivot points. From there you will need to remove and clean the air cylinder on the right side of the reels. There is a rubber cup seal inside that turns to a sticky tar. I just remove the seal and clean the inside of the air cylinder with acetone or rubbing alcohol, then apply a very light coat of grease to the piston. Next is cleaning and checking the relay contacts. I like to use rubbing alcohol and q-tips and alcohol on plan white computer paper. I wet the paper then put it between the contacts to clean them.. You don't want to file the contacts.. Then I check the operation of the contact with my Voltage meter.. You will want to clean the contact plugs between the reels and cabinet and hopper and cabinet with a wire brush or a green scrubby. These plugs are called Beau plugs. I my self like to spray them with WD-40, it makes the plugs go back together easier and to come back apart easy.  This is just the basics to getting your game back on it's feet. You will find a lot of good help here. Post pictures of your project, I my self would like to see it as would others..

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
Is it a good value based on purchase price, time to restore and what it will be worth after it's done? If you aren't ever going to get rid of it the last one there doesn't really matter, but if you can buy a working one for, say, $500 and he wants that for a non-working one you may want to shop for a different project machine

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
Is it a good value based on purchase price, time to restore and what it will be worth after it's done? If you aren't ever going to get rid of it the last one there doesn't really matter, but if you can buy a working one for, say, $500 and he wants that for a non-working one you may want to shop for a different project machine

Lucky Twins is a fairly rare machine, Make sure the glass is in good shape, because it will be almost impossible to replace. Look over the cabinet inside and out for any damage and rust inside. The outside chrome is another concern, make sure it's in decent shape. These are all factors that determine the over all price of the game..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:14:31 PM »
Thanks, where he was still deciding to buy or not I figured overall value was worth mentioning. Really good info on checking unit condition and parts availability

Offline jimliner

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • jimliner New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
Welcome!   

All good advice from amechanic on getting it back to life if you do purchase.  Especially on glass.   

I picked up two super continentals awhile back.  One was hit be sun every day where it was sitting.  I will probably not find replacement.   

There are plenty of great people here always willing to help out.  If its really parts complete and a price you are comfortable with, I would grab it. 

In time you maybe looking for another Bally slot.  It’s addicting. 

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
Welcome!   
    All good advice from amechanic on getting it back to life if you do purchase.  Especially on glass.   
     I picked up two super continentals awhile back.  One was hit be sun every day where it was sitting.  I will probably not find replacement.   

Jim,
 Try contacting Scott Bennett. Here is here under the name of Ballyslots Ballyslots? He has a bunch of older Bally slot glass and might have it for that Continental. I'll Pm you his cell number.

Gary
And remember...

Offline worldonedge

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 04:17:09 AM »
Thank you all so much for the responses.

Gary - I will post a pic. I only have one for now. It is currently still sitting in a storeroom in an old second hand goods store.. I think I will take the plunge and purchase it. I appreciate your comprehensive write up. It gives me a great starting point. The glass looks to be in very good shape. Every sample I have found online , (not many) has a different belly glass. Understanding the difficulty of obtaining the glass I will make sure it is moved with extreme care. The chrome externally  does look marked. I suspect a good clean and polish would go a long way to improving the appearance. I will need to examine the interior more closely. I will go back and take some pics of the interior to post.

cowboygames - Thanks for the info. Current asking price here in South Africa is $280 or so depending on the exchange rate. The original asking price was about $800. Prices I have seen for this model in good working to excellent condition seem to range between $1000 - $2500. I am not sure those prices are realistic. Whilst value is a consideration for me, it is not a major one, if I can get it working. It is for my own interest and pleasure. I don't see myself selling it. I don't think there is a very big market for these machines here in South Africa.

Jimliner - Thanks for the heads up on the sun damage. I had not considered that in terms of machine placement. Curiously since slot machines in any form were strictly illegal in South Africa they were usually stored in dark backrooms with few windows. Sadly thousands of machines from that era were destroyed by the authorities when they were discovered. Limited availability of machines in this country could limit the addiction. :-) That said I have seen a few. This Lucky Twins is the first one I can afford. It may well be the start of a new hobby.

Again thank you all for the input.

Offline worldonedge

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:33 AM »
Hello again good people :wave:

Please forgive the questions? I want to make sure I am spending my money wisely . $280 dollars is a big chunk of change in these parts.

I could not open the front door completely to take good pics. It is obstructed by other stock in the shop.Hopefully enough can be seen to suggest if the machine can be saved or not.

There is rust in places. Seemingly on frame parts holding components. Not the components themselves.

The coin comparator is not what I expected. Is is a retrofit? Is it adjustable? There is a coil below it to the left that seems to be disconnected.

The are four meters two in front and two in back. Coins in 6 digit. Coins out 7 Digit (Reads over 4 million coins) Jackpot meter and a cash meter.

Number painted on hopper matches number stamped below model details on exterior. Model 937-1   LT1-48

Gary , I found the piston. The black goo is visible if you shine a light down the tube. I assume that is a common issue. 

I imagine there are mods on the input power. South Africa runs on 220v not 110v.

Again thank you one and all :thank_you:

Regards
Brian

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
I see a lot of surface rust on the outside. Belly glass frame, handle, coin tray.. Looks to be complete, but looks to have been in storage for a long time.. I'd pay $150/$200 US just because it's a rare game.. So adjust your offer. Bright work or chrome is a very expensive to have re-done. You could have the pieces powder coated in a silver or ceramic color. It would look good, and is about 1/4 the cost of chrome, at least here.. I can almost guarantee that all the linkages and pivots on the cross shafts on and in the reel assembly are frozen up from years of sitting too.. Still looks like a fun project to bring back to live..

I am picking up a 3 machine lot next Tuesday that need just about as much work.. Just remember that when you be one, others will follow..  :yes:
And remember...

Offline coincard

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • coincard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:08:42 AM »
Brian,

Looks like a fun project, however it will be frustrating but in the end it will be worth it. There are some very smart people on NLG that can help you figure it out, the rust is not that bad and can be dealt with, whats the inside of the upper cabinet look like ? I just picked up a Las Vegas 3 and a mouse built a nest inside the upper cabinet, everywhere it peed was badly rusted and most of the wiring had the insulation chewed off, so you want to look inside there and see what kind of shape that is in, if you had a mouse in there you could be looking at a huge mess...

Good Luck

Dave

Offline worldonedge

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
Thank you Gary. I admit I had not considered the cost of restoring the bright work at all. I will probably look at alternatives aside from chrome plating. That will be the last step of restoration I think. I will start with a strip down, degreasing and cleaning of the mechanisms. I will also as far as possible test the circuitry before I apply power to the machine. I am a long way off from dropping a coin in I think. If the fact you have another 3 machines incoming is anything to go by I may be in trouble  :yes: .

Thank you Dave. I imagine it will be frustrating. I am a patient soul. Hopefully I can work through it. I had not considered the state of the upper cabinet inside. Definitely something to look at before I bring it home There are no signs of rodent activity in the main section.

Thank you gentlemen :hail:

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »
Re: Chrome

Unless the chrome has pitted it should clean up real nice.
Caution when cleaning DO NOT use a scratch pad! Made that mistake one time, luckily I did it on the side.
Chrome polish and a soft rage works good. I found if you apply the polish thick and let it sit for awhile it seems to work better.
Always do a test in an small area on the side.

In regards to powering up the machine. I usually look for any obvious problems first, broken wires, missing coil springs, burn marks,
missing screws, black taped connection, debris in the coin hopper etc. Then plug it in before major cleaning. Reason being if you do a deep cleaning to the machine first there is a possibility of getting something out of alignment and or adjustment. Thus when the machine is powered up without a deep cleaning it will indicate any malfunction not compounded by major cleaning.

This is my personal approach and just a suggestion.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 02:04:14 PM »
I have found the CLR works good on removing rust. I like to use 0000 steel wool for cleaning and polishing. If it's safe enough to to use on glass it safe on chrome. Just don't get too roughy using it. Let the cleaners do there jobs.
And remember...

Offline Jochum

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Jochum New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
Hi Gary. I am after some Bally glasses as well. Could you please send me his email / cellphone nr ? Br Jochumn@hotmail.com

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
What glass do you need?
And remember...

Offline tuna

• Reputation Power: 6
  • tuna New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »

Amechanic if you are taking request I'm looking for a "Lucky Sevens" Bally 1034  belly glass.

Thanks

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal