New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Frankenstein needs help? Where's McGyver?  (Read 11975 times)

Offline modessitt

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • modessitt New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Frankenstein needs help - is this a PE? Where's McGyver?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
This is - or was - a Deuces Wild.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Those Fortune II machines were only a single game. Usually Draw Poker, or a Deuces Wild. I've had a could of the over the years, and all were single game, 52 card decks.

I'm thinking that the mod that was done to this mpu board probably added the ability to play more than 1 game. That's why there are 3 of the Color Attribute Proms instead of just the usual 1 prom.

Also, notice they added 2 wires that run across the top of every eprom, making connections with 2 pins on each eprom. That's the type of thing you'd do when you use larger capacity eproms (to hold more software). Those 2 extra wires bring the extra address lines to each eprom that aren't there on the socket since the original eproms didn't use those higher order address lines. For example, the original eprom size might have been 64k, but with the 2 added address lines you can install 128k or even 256k eproms. You could store 4 times as much software as the original board had. Enough storage to add the software for multiple games. I'll bet that if you check the part number on those game software eproms you'll see that they are larger size eproms than what would usually be on a Fortune II mpu.

This is like someone figured out a way to install several games on this board and select the game you want to play. On the later machines like Player's Edge the mpu board has several game choices, right? Someone added that ability to this Fortune II mpu. What else could this mod be for?

If you can ask the customer what games the machine had and was there more than one that they could select from that would help to clear this question up. If the customer doesn't care about multiple games, just wants one favorite game to play then you can remove the mod or put another standard mpu in the machine.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:50:06 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
More likely a mod for coin less play or some kind of early player tracking system. Is there any kind of off board boxes inside the machine?
Did it come with a hopper or a coin in assembly? Are there additional wires attached to the switches?
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »
I stand corrected. This is a Jokers Wild machine. They lay mentioned how she wanted to play Deuces Wild again, so multiple games seems like the best guess.

Right now I'd just like to get it to boot up so I can see. Tried the RAM clear and that didn't help. Any other suggestions? I measure +5.05vdc at the chips so my +5 is there. Just a blue screen though.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Frankenstein needs help? Where's McGyver?
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 05:45:28 AM »
I stand corrected. This is a Jokers Wild machine. They lay mentioned how she wanted to play Deuces Wild again, so multiple games seems like the best guess.

Right now I'd just like to get it to boot up so I can see. Tried the RAM clear and that didn't help. Any other suggestions? I measure +5.05vdc at the chips so my +5 is there. Just a blue screen though.

Can the owner help by providing more information on this machine's history? If it was modified or worked on while she owned it maybe you can find out who did the work and talk to them. Or if she got the machine and it already had this mod maybe she can say where she got it and that previous owner can provide the info. Without a schematic or details about the mod work it will be tough trying to unravel. Do you think or does the owner think that those 2 loose wires are what caused it to stop working and if they can be reconnected to the right place all will be fine? 

And it would be worth a try to call Larry at K-Lar to see what they say. They have seen a lot of machines and may have seen or heard about this mod. If so that could save a lot of time figuring things out.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 06:16:30 AM »
No I have never seen a mod like that and I doubt that a small 8 bit PIC microcontroller would have the ability to provide multiple games when the Fortune II needed over 10 EPROM's to generate one game.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 07:01:18 AM »
I'll see what I can find out. She said she got it from her father-in-law non-working and that her husband was "fiddling with it" when the two wires came loose "from somewhere". Not sure if the father-in-law is still living.

When it was dropped off, I did get something in the screen, but it was garbage and some of the words were upside down. I might try disconnecting those two wires again to see if I can get that again.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 07:45:47 AM »
If the board were to come into our shop (Larry's) the first thing I would do is remove that kludge and try to get a regular game out of it.

There are some DIP switches on the backplane board that may invert the video but I am not near my manuals right now.

We have a Fortune II tester to test the board on.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:32 AM »
Do you or anyone have a pinout of the edge connector? If I know what voltages to hook up and what pins are for inputs, video, etc, I could probably rig up something on my bench to see if I can get the board running.

What video frequency is it outputting - CGA, EGA, VGA, etc?

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 09:30:53 AM »
We're at the point that the customer is okay with just buying anther working board and putting it in to make it work.  We've found a working-when-pulled board online but it has no chips.  I assume these PROMs are probably modified and won't work on a non-modified board, so what are our options?  If we can find the necessary chips - 14 at my count - then we can pair them with the new board and have a working game. or if there is someplace to buy a working board already populated, that would work too - but I haven't found one yet.

Thoughts?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »
Remove the chips from the old board and put them in the new board to see if they work.

The kludge I see may not be related to a software modification, the original chips should work in another board.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 11:35:54 AM »
I guess I'm concerned with whether they might have put larger ROMs on and put two different programs on it that the mods access.  Like replacing a 512 with a 1024 so you can put two different 512 programs on the 1024 and access either using the mods. If that is the case, then pouring them into an unmodified board would still cause issues, right?

Since I don't know what an unmodified board should have, I can't compare.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
Step one. Get a modified board and try them.

Beyond that, if they don't work, PM me for a solution.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
What are you looking for, just the MPU, or the second tray too with the IO & Sound boards? I think I have a set or two here but not too sure of there condition of operation? I know they have all there IC's on them. If you need chip numbers from certain locations I might be able to help with that too..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal