New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1114 15a fuse frying.  (Read 6497 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Bally 1114 15a fuse frying.
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »
This is what I get for not playing my Bally EM regularly...
The machine was working, mostly fine. All I did was clean some gummy ares and replace a few black and burned out bulbs. I left for 20 minutes and returned to smell something burning. 
I found the 15a fuse inside on the far left inside, is frying, not blowing but getting way too hot and likely about to blow. I've isolated the hopper, reel mechanism, and plug to the top lights and it is still frying. The lights work, but flicker just a little. ... I'd think if one was shorted, I'd notice it and since I disconnected the top and the fuse still cooks, it can't be that.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Slotski

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • Slotski New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Bally 1114 15a fuse frying.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »
Mark, you might of gotten something wet and started a low resistance carbon path. If so I would think you would be seeing some smoke or sniff it out. Look carefully with the lights out, see if you see any thing cooking. With a 15 amp fuse I assume it's a low voltage AC circuit. Lights flickering signals something frying. Did you put a ammeter in place of the fuse to see what's actually being drawn? And try a new or different fuse? With persistence you will find it. A schmatic of it would also be very helpful in troubleshooting it. What model is it I could look just in case I might have a wiring schmatic? Gene

Offline GOS

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »
 first - 15amp NOT recommended - the standard fuses for an e/m are 10amp for the light circuit (blue wires) - 8 amp for the coils (orange wires) and 5 amp for the power circuit (white/black) wires.  If your bulb work was on the door - i would check the "wings" on the bulb holders grounding to the cabinet.  to isolate - discount the molex at the door. 

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »
Right GOS,

Probably rotated a solder fin on a bulb socket that now is shorting out on the case or another wire.
 May knocked off some electrical tape causing a short. Pull the molex plug in the door.
Good work eliminating the other units.

Offline GOS

• Reputation Power: 84
  • GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.GOS Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
you are lucky you didn't melt down your transformer (which maybe the burning you smell) !!!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »
Thanks all. I'll trace my path back. I did replace a few bulbs in front. I'll look to see if I rotated a solder fin. I'm usually careful about that but it's entirely possible.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:00:42 AM »
You can buy this breaker in most hardware stores then I use an AC amp probe on all light sockets to find the shortest one pics a lot less time that way I had a 831 one last year that had a shorted socket the problem was it was the winner paid light the fuse would blow as soon as it got done paying that took an hour to find

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 06:02:29 AM »
I forgot to mention I would never leave the machine on more than 10 minutes and at least off 10 minutes without size fuse or you can blow the Transformer very easy

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
Thanks Jon!
I did find on of the light socket fins on the door appearing to touch ground. I adjusted it and powered up the machine still keeping the hopper, reel mech, and top lights disconnected. The fuse didn't get hot. I reconnected the everything but the top lights, same result. Then I reconnected the top lights and the fuse started frying again! It seems intermittent though. I'm going to repeat every step I did though and report back. I did replace a number of blackened bulbs in the top box but I can't see anywhere I'd get a short.  :Scratch-Head:

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
Not sure of the light configuration in the top unit. This is the odds pay schedule light board?
Other than searching and test for shorts. Depending on how many lights are involved, you could use the process of elimination.
If there are fluorescent lamps remove the starters and all the 6 volt bulbs. Turn the machine back on, see what happens. If the fuse holder stays cool, start replacing starters and bulbs until the fuse get hot again. This may help narrow down the search. An infrared thermometer would be a great help in this situation. 

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »
Check your wiring harness also. When you close the door, it could move a bit and cause a bulb socket to ground out. Look at the transformer also. If you see drips of what looks like wax coming out of the bottom, your close to shorting it. I bought one that when I went to pick it up, they informed me they were playing it the day before and all was well. But earlier the day of pick up... started smalling and the trans started to drip just a little. I bought it anyway and after getting it home, I looked carefully at it. Then I found the problem. They were grabbing dimes out of the hopper and as their hand came over the top of the door, they dropped a dime and it shorted the lamp socket to ground. The dime was stuck to it and purple from the heat. Removed it and all has been ok since then.
Good luck on your journey to fixing it.

Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »
I checked the wiring, inspected the transformer, etc. Went back to the lights on the door (since I isolated the entire top box earlier) and I did end up finding what appeared to be a shorted solder fin. I adjusted it off ground but still had a hot fuse and dim lights. I touched the top of the fuse cap and the dim lights flickered to regular intensity lights when I held the cap down. So I removed entire fuse holder and saw a bit of what looked like solder on the bottom. Also the spring contact on the cap was squished down and appeared dirty. (Down and dirty!) I removed the solder bit and replaced the cap with a new one. Now I have full intensity lights. I've left the machine on for some time and have a nice non-cooking fuse. I'll leave the machine on again tonight and check it but I believe the cap was the problem although I've never had that problem. So far, so good.
Thanks all, so far.  :applause:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
Forgot, that fuse has a printed rating (on the stock Bally sticker strip along the fuse mount base)  of 15amps but it's working with the 10amp. Should I leave it as is?

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 07:37:59 PM »
I would.. I've never seen one needing a 15 amp fuse before.. As for the fuse holder and cap, I have seen then go bad before.. I bought a machine a couple year ago, where they had the fuse caps held on with duct tape.. Glad to hear it's fixed...

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
..... I did end up finding what appeared to be a shorted solder fin. I adjusted it off ground but still had a hot fuse and dim lights. I touched the top of the fuse cap and the dim lights flickered to regular intensity lights when I held the cap down.....

glad you got it working, since you are keeping the machine
you might want to make sure your house fire insurance is up to date.   :garfield:
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
15 amps is too high a fuse.
If it won't hold under 15 you should do a serious check for shorts.

The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
15 amps is too high a fuse.
If it won't hold under 15 you should do a serious check for shorts.

What size fuse is normally found in that position?

Maybe shortrackskater has 500 ft of oldstyle Christmas lights connected to that line and draped around the area.    :propeller:
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
OMG ... get rid of those lamps .... WTF would someone do that to that machine?????
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »
OMG ... get rid of those lamps .... WTF would someone do that to that machine?????
Dave F

And I had them tapped off that fuse!  :rotfl:

For those who didn't read back...It's working, so far. No hot fuse, nice bright lights.
Again everyone... it's working with a 10a fuse although the stock Bally sticker below it reads 15a.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:32:37 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
I made a joke about Christmas lights, maybe Dave thought it really happened?

Sounds like 15amp is the right size fuse for that machine.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal