New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Broken 1993 Bally S5500 (ProSlots 5500?) MPU?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline mateo107

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • mateo107 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Broken 1993 Bally S5500 (ProSlots 5500?) MPU?
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »

I just inherited a sight-unseen 1993 Bally ProSlots 5500 machine.  When I received it, the jumper pins for the battery-enable were broken off and there was no battery.

I believe I fixed that problem (maybe?) and of course received 83F error on first bootup.  Cleared RAM and machine boots up - but I still cannot do a full power off without losing settings.  I checked voltage to the battery leads/connections on the MPU and they're showing + 3V.

I'm also getting random MPU restarts, without pressing the reset button.  When this happens all of the lights on the tree, reel light, marquee light, etc., those do not go off, so I don't think it's a power supply issue but rather an MPU issue. 

Can any advise me on where to go from here.  I have a multimeter and can check voltages, but I'm not super comfy doing that unless I know exactly what and where I'm doing it.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Any and all help would be appreciated.

BTW, I can tell the MPU is resetting, because the "WINNER PAID" and other LCDs will be lit up - for example, showing 0 credits with DOOR OPEN (S.O) error - then those will go blank for about 5-10 seconds, then they'll come back.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
Re: Broken 1993 Bally S5500 (ProSlots 5500?) MPU?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »
Make sure your power supply voltages are within range.
Bally recommends the 5V voltage be set to 5.16V.
Use your meter and check the voltages with the machine on and everything plugged in.

Attached are the test points for the power supply.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline mateo107

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
Thanks.  I tested the PSU and my results are attached, i get nothing out of pins 6-7 and 12,13,14,15.

ANy change I could repair something like this myself... or just cheaper to get a new PSU?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »
The important question is, what was your 5 Volts reading?

If you were not reading anything on those other pins you were probably reading them with one lead on ground.
That is a separate circuit which is the AC power into a full wave bridge which then goes to a large filter capacitor which provides 24VDC for your reels.
There is a small power supply board inside that provides +5, +12, and -12 volts DC to the MPU board.
When it fails you cannot adjust the 5VDC voltage to it's required 5.16V. If that voltage is below 5V then your MPU board will act weird and do the kind of things you were describing.

Attached is the spec sheet for the power supply you may need to purchase from Mouser or Jameco Electronics. They are under $20.
When you get it you will still need to adjust the 5V level, via a small adjustment on the board, to 5.16 VDC.

Offline mateo107

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
Got the PSU fixed by replacing the fuse in it.  It looked in tact, but just 'off'.  Replaced and now my PSU is working fine

Now, I still have the issue of the battery not working.

Looks like the header pins broke off and someone tried to repair them, but I get no reading at the pins JW12 to enable the battery...

Any thoughts on where I can scrape off and get back to copper in order to re-attach the battery enable pins?

Photos posted next...

Offline mateo107

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
photo of busted pin connections

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:11:26 AM »
Remove the board from the tray and make sure the traces that connect to the bottom side of the board, that connect to the battery, are still intact.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal