New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Oh god... another phone! This time a "Lucy Phone" - well sort of.  (Read 5269 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I bought this Western Electric desk phone on ebay for a whopping $5! I though it was a WE302 but turned out to be a WE 302 EW, a military version with a different dial, a AE dial, which makes things a little different for wiring. I learned a lot rebuilding this with plenty of help from the grumpy good folks at classicrotaryphones.com
The phone was in horrible shape and I bought it just to see if I could make it work, and clean it up, basically a "semi-restoration" just for the hell of it.  The case was cracked and had a whiteish corrosion on the plastic (or tenite) case. I was able to sand the plastic and then do a series finer sanding with steel wool and plastic polish and finally Meguiar's auto polish for the last part. The cracks were a pain in the ass to deal with. I tried various epoxies and finally got then to hold, using super glue as a "topper" on the wider crack. One problem was that the case was warped. I think this phone was just left out in the elements for a long long time. So, I had to fill the crack instead, which was the only way the case would go back on the chassis.
I disassembled the phone and just spot cleaned and steel-wooled parts such as the hook switch. The dial cleaned up nicely as well. The feet on the chassis were rotted so I bought the leather and rebuilt the feet, thanks to a great DIY on the phone forum. My goal was to keep as many of the parts that came with this $5 phone. The only thing I did buy were the transmitter and receiver units. The originals were simply shot. So here's a few before shots and after shots. Oh I did buy the center card retainer. Those darn things are expensive - I paid $14 just for that. But that's okay. I had a lot of fun doing this and now the phone works perfectly.
Here's a jillion pictures.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Oh god... another phone! This time a "Lucy Phone" - well sort of.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
More...
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:52:30 PM »
And finally...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:51:45 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »
Amazing that is the same phone.
Looks great!  :yes:

Offline Ron (r273)

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
Wow! What patience! :hail:
I'm retired....My job is having a good time with my slots.   Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
The night I got it fully operational, I had a 30 minute conversation with a friend. I wondered when that phone had "its" last conversation? Easily could have been 30 or more years ago. I asked the seller if he had more information on it but all he knew was that the phone was left out for curbside trash pickup.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
From trash to treasure.. Nice job.. :applause:
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
Nice!  It's amazing to see what phones were back in the day.  The other day my 15 yr old saw a rotary dial for the first time at a friend's house.  He thought you had to put your finger in the hole to dial  :arrowthruhead:
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Nice!  It's amazing to see what phones were back in the day.  The other day my 15 yr old saw a rotary dial for the first time at a friend's house.  He thought you had to put your finger in the hole to dial  :arrowthruhead:

It's such a solid phone too. And the audio quality is great!
Did you kid think the phone had buttons inside the finger holes? I keep seeing crappy reproduction "antique phones" that have a "dial" but inside are just push-buttons.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Those old-style rotary dial phones actually have a set of contacts on the inside that open and close the phone line the same number of times as each number that you dialed. For example, if you put your finger in the "5" hole and move it to dial the number when you release the dial there is a spring inside that causes the dial to return while the switch contacts inside open and close 5 times. And for the number "9" there are 9 clicks. Some businesses used to try to get a phone number that had lower numbers in it so people could dial it faster and easier. On rotary phones like this you can also dial a phone number by pressing the cradle disconnect button quickly the same number of times as the digit in the phone number, then pause a half second and do it for the next number, you never have to touch the dial. Those things were built like tanks, many by Western Electric that had a high-quality reputation for durable and reliable equipment that lasted for decades despite the abuse people put them thru.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
Yes it's cool to look at the inside of the rotary dial and see all those in action! What an amazing invention too.
When I saw this on ebay, it definitely looked shabby but I had this feeling that the dang thing would work still, and it did.
It's difficult to actually find anyone who appreciates this other than here or on the classicrotaryphones site. Most people under 30 or so have no clue about old telephones and probably don't give a crap. They're too busy playing with "apps" on their cell phones.
CLICK on the cartoon. That dang banner is too big... Joey???

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »
I'm actually surprise you were still able to connect it to the phone jack. A lot of those old phones were hard wired or had a square 4 pin hook up.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Shaggy

• Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »
It looks good. Glad you got it finished.  :cool_thumb_up:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 11:52:13 PM »
I'm actually surprise you were still able to connect it to the phone jack. A lot of those old phones were hard wired or had a square 4 pin hook up.

The original line cord was hard wired and shot. I have a handy RJ11 crimping tool and I make my own line cords.  :propeller:

Thanks all for the comments. Click on that cartoon and have a laugh.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 12:11:20 AM »

The original line cord was hard wired and shot. I have a handy RJ11 crimping tool and I make my own line cords.  :propeller:

Thanks all for the comments. Click on that cartoon and have a laugh.

What's the meaning behind the name "Lucy" phone?

The cartoon shows that the old phone has a coiled line cord, but some of the early phones just had straight uncoiled cords like the photo below. I remember my grandparents having a phone with a straight cord, it just hung down limply.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
As I understood it, the larger cities in the US had low area code numbers because of the speed of dialing, i.e. Detroit 313, Chicago 312, California 213, New York 212 and so on. The larger the city, the lower the area code digits would be.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »
That's interesting on the digit numbers. I think I read that on the classicrotaryphones site. I wonder what city got stuck with 9's back then? :rotfl:

My phone here does have a coiled receiver cord but I think it was added when the signal corps ordered or purchased these phones. The base is dated 1942 but the case and receiver is 1952. My phone had the "weatherproof" (or whatever they called it for tropical areas) stuff in it. The line cord has a grommet. And the dial was slathered in what looked like cosmoline. My late 40's Western Electric 302 does have just the cloth cords for both receiver and line cord.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal