New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: CEI Hot Slot - Need Help  (Read 7493 times)

Offline PowerGenSeller

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PowerGenSeller New User has no influence.
  • NLG
CEI Hot Slot - Need Help
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:38:21 AM »
I have a CEI Hot Slot, Model 401XX-3M, Serial SL-1688 built on 9/27/1988.  It worked before I placed it in storage, but when I took it out after 20 years of storage, it no longer worked.  I replaced the battery chip on mother board, but it needs to be rebooted and checked out.  Do you have any experience with CEI Hot Slots? Do you know of someone who does?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:30:03 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 262
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: CEI Hot Slot - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
Hang on... help is on the way, hopefully soon. I may be able to find a manual.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
I think there is a Hot Slot manual in the NLG download library.

When you power up the machine does it display an error on the front?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline PowerGenSeller

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:54:24 PM »
Thanks.  I have the manual, but I need someone who understands it, and the CEI system who and can reconfigure the machine.  Thank you for your response.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »
Post a picture of the board. I have worked on those in the past but need a refresher by looking at the board.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
Thanks.  I have the manual, but I need someone who understands it, and the CEI system who and can reconfigure the machine.  Thank you for your response.

What is it doing or not doing when you turn it on? If totally inop then start with the basics, like power supply voltages and fuses, error codes on the front display, etc.  When you replaced the battery was there battery leakage damage to the circuit board?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline PowerGenSeller

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 07:08:39 AM »
Attached is a picture of the mother board. What I did was replace the Smart Battery (previous model was a Dallas DS 1260-100 / 9103) with a new one (Dallas DS 1260-25 / 8828).   I was able to confirm that the replacement battery is a direct replacement.  However, after the battery was replaced, all memory was lost.

Before the battery was replaced, the unit would start up and give an error code.  Now it when it starts up, it does read any error code.  It basically does nothing

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:45:18 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:39:46 AM »
Attached is a picture of the mother board.  What I did was replace the Smart Battery (previous model was a Dallas DS 1260-100  /  9103) with a new one (Dallas DS 1260-25  /  8828).   I was able to confirm that the replacement battery is a direct replacement.  However, after the battery was replaced, all memory was lost.

Before the battery was replaced, the unit would start up and give an error code.  Now it when it starts up, it does read any error code.  It basically does nothing. 

Was the error code it showed for a bad battery, or something else? The manual refers to a selftest procedure, using the test switch located near the power switch. Have you tried doing the selftest? If the selftest will run it may give an error code that will help determine the problem. If the selftest will not run then you will have to do more troubleshooting, such as make sure the power supply voltages are ok. Do you have a meter? I think there are only 4 voltages that need to be checked if this machine is similar to the older CEI machines, but it may not be.

Are there any fuses in the machine you can see, and if so have you checked them? Do the general illumination lights at least work, that would indicate that 115 volt wall outlet power is getting to the inside of the machine. Sometimes there is a electrical power line filter on these older machines that goes bad, it will keep the 115 volts from getting thru. It is a box about 2 inches or so size, located near where the 115 volt power cord connects inside the machine. Post photos of anything you aren't sure about or to help us see what you have. The CEI/Cal Omega machines are not owned as much as other models so there is limited experience on them.

Just so we have the facts, as all information is important, you took the machine out of storage and powered it up. It gave an error code and didn't work. You removed the main logic board (called the mpu board) and replaced the battery. You then reinstalled the mpu board and the machine did nothing when you powered it up. Is this correct, was there anything else to add to this? Did you remove any other circuit boards, or unplug any wiring cable connectors, etc? Also, you probably know, you shouldn't remove or install or connect or disconnect anything unless power to the machine is turned off.

Post photos of the inside of the machine and the circuit boards where possible, maybe we can see something for you to check.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:55:29 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline PowerGenSeller

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »

I appreciate your help, and I can confirm that your understanding of the "facts" is correct.  I did not disconnect any cable or mess with the wiring harnesses when I changed the battery.  I'll be the first to admit that I am not a technician nor do I know much about the functionality of this electro-mechanical contraption.  What I do know is that the reels are run by servo motors and their position is sensed by optical sensors.  After that, about all I know is that this thing is over my head.  Oh yeh, I guess I also know enough to not only make certain that the power is off, and that it is unplugged, and that it has been unplugged long enough for any remaining charge in the electrolytic capacitors to decay (and to use a static guard when touching the mother board (or mpu board, as you call it).

I do have a Fluke multi-meter, and I did check the fuses (this actually has five breakers).  The breakers are fine, the lights are lit, and the coin hopper even rotates a couple of turns when it starts up and is switched to "setup" mode.  I do not recall the previous error code, but something pointed me in the direction of the Smart Battery.  Now when I switch it from the "operate" mode to "setup" mode, I get no error code.  I really do not feel comfortable poking around with my Fluke multi-meter probes to check for voltage levels.

I appreciate your help.  I bought this machine for my wife who loved to play the slots in Las Vegas.  She was diagnosed with cancer in late 1990.  I bought the machine for her in 1991 because she really couldn't travel at that point.  She passed in 1992, at the ripe old age of 39.  About one year later I placed it in storage when I moved to Hong Kong.  It was working at the time it was placed in storage.  I've held on to it ever since, and now it has been uncreated and sits in my man cave for obvious sentimental reasons.  I would love to see it working again, but I know that I am in over my head when it comes to anything more than straight forward electrical issues.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
First off, I forgot to say earlier "Welcome to NLG, glad to see you here  ! "  :cool_thumb_up:

Next, accept my sincere belated condolences about your wife, it is a tragedy at anytime and especially at such a young age. Life is completely unfair about these things.

I'm afraid that many of our CEI experts have retired from regular activity, a shame because they have so much knowledge and experience. So the rest of us do what we can. The good news is that since the machine was working when you put it in storage there probably isn't anything terribly wrong with it, just a matter of finding the problem. And your CEI is one of the later models they made so it isn't as old as a lot of the CEI machines we see here. If the worst happens and you are not able to get it working there are still people that buy such things for a project. I see that you are located Charleston, SC. So someone here may offer to buy it from you, who knows.

I didn't want to assume anything about your elec experience or abilities, we see a wide range of that from slot machine owners, that's why I mentioned those basic things earlier.

Sometimes the top round cap of the fuseholder will have a small hole in it, you can place the red lead of the meter in there to measure the voltage. Connect the black meter lead to any bare metal chassis for a ground and that will usually let you measure the voltage that the fuse is protecting. The voltage could be AC or DC and unless you have a fancy automatic meter you will need to select AC or DC. You should do this meter mode selection with the meter leads not connected to anything. Hopefully there is a label near the fuse saying what the voltage should be. You will be safe using the meter, just hold the meter leads by their plastic handles, never touch the metal part of the meter probe with your fingers when it is connected for a measurement. If there is no label giving the voltage we will have to do some digging or hope someone with that info chimes in to help.

When you reinstalled the mpu board after replacing the battery did you get the board "seated" or connected all the way? Sometimes there is some resistance as the board is installed and the person stops pushing before it is fully connected.

If it isn't a lot of trouble it could help us to see photos of the interior of the machine where the circuit boards are installed.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Make sure the Smart Battery you replaced actually worked.
Get a meter and measure the volt on the RAM chip with power off.
The black chip along the edge of the board between the EPROM with the white label on it and the Smart Battery module.
With the notch of the chip facing away from you put your black lead on the lower left pin and your red lead on the upper right pin.
You should read over 3 volts DC. If not you bought a dead Smart module.

Offline PowerGenSeller

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »

The Smart Battery suggestion was a winner!  I read the voltage of the new Smart Battery as -0.006vdc.  I put the original Smart Battery back in and got -0.03vdc.  At least an order of magnitude better, so I reinstalled the board and at least now I am getting error codes.  The initial error code after switching to "set-up" was E61.  The manual said to try clearing it with the error reset key switch, which I did and then I got error code E41r.

So I think this is the problem, error code "E41r".  Here is what the manual states, "Reel Stopped or Removed in Game Play: Indicates either player tampering or internal cabinet component interfering with reel.  Reset with Error Reset key switch.  (Ed. which I did and it repeated).  If error repeats, open game door front door, turn off power, remove front glass and inspect for any component touching the reel mechanism.  If no obstruction is detected, the cause may be a failed opto-sensor or its corresponding opto chip on the PCB, or possibly the REEL circuit breaker."

At least this is progress.  I did check the breaker, and it is giving me 14.90vac to ground on both sides of the breaker, so it is ok.  I also removed the reel assembly and inspected it.  There are no obvious problems.  The reels are seated properly and move freely.   There is no obvious interference.  I also cleaned the opto-sensors in case they were dirty.  Upon reinstalling the opto-sensors, I made certain they were aligned properly.

I am still getting the same E41r error code.  Any ideas?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
I wonder if since your battery is weak, that the lack of voltage could be causing your problem? You did mention a photo optic chip... Maybe the board can't retain it's memory due to the low voltage?
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
The board won't work if the battery is below 3.2 VDC.

I seem to recall our shop had 4 new ones in a original tube. Wonder where they are after our move.

Offline PowerGenSeller

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
I can buy "new" ones DS1260-100 Smart Batteries on eBay, which ship from China.  Question: If I just replace the Smart Battery, won't I lose all the memory that it holds?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 04:58:10 PM »
No, it will just start from scratch with initial values and play mode.
Dallas semiconductor went out of business 20 years ago.
The only good smart battery is one that has never been in a circuit, once it senses power it activates it's internal battery and the battery discharges until dead.

Offline PowerGenSeller

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »

Thanks.  I will buy a Smart Battery Model 1260-100 on eBay.  I have one additional question, for now.  My original had the number "9103" two lines below the DS1260-100 model number.  The current 'new' eBay model DS1260-100 batteries have one of three different numbers two lines below the below the model number. 
One has the number "0722C2  090762".  The second has "8923".  Finally the third has "9220C2  023139" on the same line where my original had "9103".

Do you know if it makes a difference as to which one I should buy?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
It's a date code.
9103 means it was manufactured in the third week of 1991.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Badbaud - do you have a schematic drawing for this mpu board? I'd like to see how the cmos ram is connected to the battery. Thanks!

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
I will check tomorrow.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal