New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Jcm DBV 145-SS upgrade  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Catalinafan

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Catalinafan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Jcm DBV 145-SS upgrade
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »
Hi. Im trying to help someone upgrade a 145-SS in a Bally 5500 sizzlin 7"s. Im confused on several things such as last upgrade available, What bills it will accept, main chip, and power supply needed for upgrade.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Take it all I've had too much for too long
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Jcm DBV 145-SS upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
The DBV-145 is quite an old model, no doubt that what software there is available for any update will be very limited on what bills it will accept. But even with the software in it now it should still work with a $1 bill. You will want to make sure the DBV works with a $1 before you spend any time or money upgrading it with newer software.

A better solution might be to upgrade to a DBV-200, it will plug right in where the DBV-145 is. The DBV-200 came along after the DBV-145 so it will have software that is somewhat newer, may have more current bills that it will accept. Keep in mind these bill validators contain software that is specific to the brand of machine they are installed in. So you will need a DBV with Bally software. If you look at the DBV-145 in the machine there should be a sticker somewhere on the DBV that says the current software version and the "ID protocol", also known as the ID-XXX. This ID number tells you what communication protocol the DBV software uses and the replacement software or another DBV will need to be the same ID number.

Show us a photo of the DBV-145 or post the ID-xxx number along with the current software version that is in it.

The DBV bill validators and their software were made by a company known as JCM. Here is the JCM website software support page, you can see what software they released thru time.

http://am-en.jcmglobal.com/support/downloads/software-information/

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
Ive tried uploading pic but keeps saying file too big even if i drop resolution down.
Anyways
MODEL DBV-145-SS-6031-B022
SERIAL NO. 404189820
  AC117V 60Hz 30VA
JAPAN CASH MACHINE CO, LTD.
MADE IN JAPAN.
Under that another small tag with version.....
SOFTWARE VERSION INSTALLED. 2.15
Those are the only tags on validator
P.S. The validator did work before with 1's and 20's I can clearly remember. He says it still works but rejects repeatedly and says has already tried cleaning.
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »
If I'm looking correctly at the JCM website software info the DBV-145 s/w version 2.15 is for ID-022 type software. So ID-022 is what you will want to look for to work with that machine. If you mean the DBV-145 worked ok recently with a $20 (and a $1) but now it doesn't work with either then doing a software upgrade probably won't get it working. The $1 bill should always work. If it doesn't then something beside the software is wrong. Does the machine have any settings (setup menu, dipswitches, etc) related to the bill validator that might have gotten changed/disabled? Did anyone do a ram clear to the machine that could have affected bill validator operation? All of the dipswitches on the DBV-145 should be set to OFF position.

On some machines there are settings that will cause the bill validator to not accept a bill, even if the bill validator is good. For example, if the machine's credit limit is set really low then the bill validator can't accept a bill that would cause the credits to go higher than the limit. Find out if anyone has changed any settings on the machine and inadvertently caused the problem with the bill validator. Also, when it did work with the $20 bill, do you think it was one of the older design bills, or a modern $20 that we use today?.

If you want to send me the photos I can post them for you. Send me a pm (see pm icon over to the left of this message) and we will exchange email addresses.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »
Thanks
Ill try to clarify
The machine did in fact accept 1"s & 20's until recently he has to feed the 1 or 20 bill in multiple times before it is accepted.
To the best of my knowledge no one has tampered with any settings for any reason.
The owner would prefer if possible to upgrade / exchange the 145ss for something that will accept more bills. Such as a $5. I know these are older machines and they have there limitations for upgrading / swapping parts.
And that is where this project exceeds my paygrade. Lol

(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
Since the DBV-145 in the machine was working not long ago its possible that something can be done to get it working again. I don't mean to question what you said about it working with a $20 but from what I know the DBV-145 software with that rev date wouldn't work with a modern $20, would only work with an old style $20. That's why I say you should only test it with a $1 bill, use nothing else until it works with the $1. Also, the DBV-145 only had one-way insertion, the bill must be inserted correctly, you can't feed it in any way you want to like you can on modern bill validators.

The DBV-200 is a direct replacement for the DBV-145, you just have to get one that contains Bally software, not IGT or Williams, etc. And the newer the software (higher rev number) the better because many of the software releases were specifically to add recognition capability for the new bill designs that came out over the years. The DBV-200 is no longer made and is old enough that even the newest Bally software released for it will be several years old and probably won't work with all current bills we have. But if it works with a $20 that will probably be good enough. 

Working DBV-200 bill validators are still around and I think you will be more likely to find one of them than getting a software update for the DBV-145 that will work with the current bills. I'm not familiar enough with the Bally machines to say for sure, let's see what others here have to say. If the DBV-145 will pull in the bill, then delay before rejecting it back out I think that is a clue to the problem, but I don't remember the details. Be sure you are only using a $1 bill for testing, because using any other bill will confuse the issue unless you know for sure that the DBV software is compatible with that bill.

Another option is to consider upgrading the bill validator to a WBA unit. This was JCM's replacement for the DBV series. To install a WBA you will need to change out all of the bill validator components but you would get a newer and probably more reliable bill validator setup.

When you decide what you might want to do there are parts suppliers here that can help with any of this. Just post a WTB ad message here and ask that one of the NLG staff move it to the Classified Ads area. Or ask what the cost of your options would be and go from there.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:32:11 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
I have to make a correction on my part. I have a lot going on and several machines to try and keep going (mine and others) I have posted for a bally 5500. In fact should have been an IGT S+
Talk about feeling ignorant lol
Sincere apologies to all. An thanks for any help sorting this out.
(Al Bundy)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
That makes some sense, I believe the ID-022 marking on your DBV-145 is an IGT bill validator comm protocol method. I guess most of what advice was given earlier is still valid, except the talk about Bally should be replaced with IGT. On later machines (I think S2000 and newer) IGT switched to using ID-023, but for earlier models the bill validator used ID-022 software.

Also, there is a lot more website participation on the IGT S+ forum area than here in the bill validator area. You'd probably get a wider audience and possibly more help if you posted there, just think of it as an IGT S+ machine problem.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=80.0

Since it is an IGT machine one thing to add is that on IGT machines there is an external power supply for the DBV-145, it is mounted to the left of the DBV-145, black box with a cable running to the DBV-145. The DBV-200 uses a little more power than the DBV-145 does, so sometimes when you upgrade to a DBV-200 you have to replace the external DBV power supply with an improved, heftier one. It is the same size, but has some cooling slots cut into the housing, that's the easy way to tell the difference, along with the part number difference.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:31:37 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
you friend should up grade to a WBA  unit,  more around, and has a better transport unit then the 145/200 uses.  all the parts to convert the unit costs around 100.00  plus shipping.  the WBA 13 will accept all the older money, plus the newer money, latest 10 and 5,  only bill it won't accept is the new 100 dollar bill.

takes about 1 hour to convert,  you need the following:  wba 13 head and transport with latest software(flash or eprom) and bezel , new power supply that replaces the black one on the side of the housing, new transport shelf  and harness, new cash can, and a two pin connector to adapt to the new harness to run the bezel lamp on the door.  some modification of the bezel may be required to match the front door bill throat ( black plastic assembly that has the yellow insert). the main housing has to be modified as well, either remove the cash can shelf by drilling out the four spot welds or removing the screw that holds the later model assembly. 

I have all the parts you need to do this, plus I can help you install it via phone. have helped many people do this.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
Thanks jim i will contact you via phone soon for details. Sounds like another good option
(Al Bundy)

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
will get everything together this weekend and get them out to you.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Catalinafan

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
Thanks again Jim as before a pleasure
A+  :cool_thumb_up:
(Al Bundy)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal