New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S2000 super board problem  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
S2000 super board problem
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
The machine was totally dead so I swapped out the power supply and it powered up with a "displays netplex down" so I replaced the low RAM battery and the dead Varta battery.
I got the same error message so I re-seated both I/O boards and all of the connectors on the display section plus the back plane connectors.
I still get the same error message.

Any suggestions on what is causing this stubborn message?
Could a key 17 be used to clear the board? Would that help?

See attached image of the board.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
Re: S2000 super board problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
That enhanced MPU requires a key 45 and clear 224. And unless you have a reason not to, remove the varta battery and cut the legs on transistor U16.

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
Do as Cowboy mentions about removing the varta and U16 on all 1270 boards for home use.

To the best of my memory and after the varta and U16 is removed --

When the netplex link is down message displayed in the VFD.

Red LED on board and Message in VFD both flash = Board Issue - Replace Board

Solid Message in VFD = Replace Power Supply
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:56:50 PM by Ken »

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
That's part of why I said ditch the varta. A low voltage or faulty circuit on that throws a netplex error on 1270 boards

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »
Thanks for the advise. I hope it is a bad Varta circuit and not the power supply - the display is on solid and no blinking lights - BUT just in case it is a power supply issue what causes this problem with the power supply?
I have caps and some chips for the power supplies and am not scared about stripping it down to the board and replacing suspects.

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
Caps are the most likely cause with those power supplies for IGTs. I think Happ might have a kit on their site but doubt they are going to tell which caps are in the repair kit.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 08:53:36 PM »
this seems to be a common subject so maybe i will make a thread dedicated to it at some time. so im going to explain the "displays netplex down" error. this error is not an error that is related to the mpu or power supply at all. that's not to say it cant point to a problem with either but it can be misleading to assume that because a always b. the "displays netplex down" is the vfd telling you that it cant communicate to the mpu. over the past 6 years and well over 100 s2000s worked on i have seen a lot of different causes of this problem so i will list the most common below.

blinking error with all light on mpu solid but red blinking - i have only ever seen this on 1270 boards. the red light flashing means that the board is being held in reset. the most common causes of this is a fault in the varta circuitry or a problem with one of the spartan chips.

solid error with "no disp" shown on the credit display - this i have seen with both type board and is almost never a fault with the mpu. the fact that you are getting "no disp" on the credit display means that the mpu has fully loaded and cant see the vfd. this means that it is some kind of communication problem between the vfd and mpu. common causes of this is bad vfd controller, harnes damage - wire unplugged, another device on netplex with a short accost one of the data lines this would be the bill validator or printer, in very rare cases a fault on the motherboard or mpu.

solid error with nothing on the credit display - with this form of the error it normally means the mpu is not booting. the most common cause of this is a faulty power supply, but i have also seen it caused by bad mpu or motherboard, and any other part that may have a direct short between one of the voltage lines to ground.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:12:28 AM »
Doing the Varta mod didn't help.
Maybe there is a clue on the board's LED lamps.
This is what I get on the lamps from top to bottom.
green on
green on
nothing on
nothing on
yellow on
yellow on
green on
nothing on

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
Does the bill validator or printer try to cycle. Also check the fuses on the motherboard.

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »
Now that the mod is done.

LEDs are normal for initial power on. If the machine could boot up then the lower 3 will go off after netplex check and be ready. Currently it can't get that far in the boot up process.

Did you try a different power supply or replace the caps on the current power supply?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
I am going to tackle the power supply on Monday.
The BV does cycle.

The machine came in totally dead so I pulled a unknown, but same model, power supply off the shelf.
That one allowed power up but got me stuck at this point.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:37 PM »
The power supply, the original dead one was a mess inside, I found a botched attempt at replacing caps with cold solder joints and open traces.
Great board work "somebody" out there in repair land.
But that is my personal white whale - and belief that some people should not get within 10 feet of a hot soldering iron.

Anyways, I took a power supply out of a working machine that had a super board in it also, but had no glass, no coin acceptor, and no BV harness, and the "display neplex down" went away and the game is now in perfect working order.
Thanks for everybody's help.

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
Awesome ..

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal