New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Sigma Poker-B9  (Read 2668 times)

Offline ContraAl

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ContraAl New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Sigma Poker-B9
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
Howdy all!

I just got a video poker machine and it's my 1st restoration project so I'm not sure where to start.  Overall the machine works good but the lights are out on the switches and could use a good cleaning, too.

Am I crazy for taking on this project?  What do you think?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Sigma Poker-B9
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
Nice looking machine! Where did it come from or how did you become the owner?

Although you will find more Bally and IGT owners of home slot machines there is a lot of love for Sigma from their diehard fans. Some swear that they run forever, just need a little repair attention now and then.

Typically the lens on the pushbuttons can be removed to replace the lamp inside. But on some machines the button assembly has to be removed by removing a fastener from below. Someone here more familiar than I am will hopefully give suggestions shortly. Be careful with the old buttons, they can get brittle with time and crack or break if you apply too much pressure on them when removing or installing.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ContraAl

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
I got this on from my father. I think he had bought 2 at one point and we used this one for parts.  As it turns out, it was still working so maybe I can breathe some new life into it.

Brittle huh..  Since this is my first attempt to fix buttons, there was a bit of a learning curve to say the least.

Buttons, buttons..  Who's got the buttons?

I also have a Bally s5500 machine and a Sankyo pachinko machine in the works too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:10:15 PM by ContraAl »

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
sent you a pm on the button issue.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline ContraAl

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
So, this is interesting.  I went to fire up the machine today and got this error message about bad roms.  After re-seating all of the non-soldered chips, the error is still there.  I'm thinking it might be battery issue.  Anyone run into this before?

I read something about a test button but have yet to locate it.  The only white button I can see is the door plunger..

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »
if the b-9 is anything like the b-52 then there should be three key operated switches on the side of the machine, turn the reset and see if that doesn't clear that error, if it continues to do this then I would suspect the battery or the super cap.  Sigma used several different types of ram memory storage devices, very few batteries, mostly super caps.

as far as the buttons, nothing like the ones you showed, you might be able to sub a newer type switch and lamp assembly into the opening, five wires typical
on the assembly,  three for the switch, NO,NC and COM. two for the lamp.  thinking a Bally type switch would fit into that opening,   square type for the round type, with nice legends.

the b-52 had a test switch mounted on the side where the white plunger was mounted, the test switch was a black push button type.

Jim

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:39:00 PM by Jim »

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
So, this is interesting.  I went to fire up the machine today and got this error message about bad roms.  After re-seating all of the non-soldered chips, the error is still there.  I'm thinking it might be battery issue.  Anyone run into this before?

I read something about a test button but have yet to locate it.  The only white button I can see is the door plunger..

If you can post a photo of your main circuit board (mpu board) or whatever board has the cmos ram maybe someone can point out the supercap if that is what your machine uses. A supercap is a high-quality low-loss capacitor that acts as a battery and many companies feel that they are better to use instead of a battery. It will be soldered to the circuit board, so replacement will require soldering. Replacement supercaps are available at a variety of places like electronic parts companies, ebay, etc. With the machine turned off (or the circuit board removed) you can put a meter on the supercap leads and see if it is holding a charge or not.

Supercaps come in a lot of different sizes and shapes, here is a typical one but yours may look different:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:44:10 AM by shortrackskater »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ContraAl

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
I didn't see any super caps but I did find a battery.  (see pic)

@Jim.  Thanks for looking.  I'm thinking of just hogging the holes out and putting in some arcade switches.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
I didn't see any super caps but I did find a battery.  (see pic)

@Jim.  Thanks for looking.  I'm thinking of just hogging the holes out and putting in some arcade switches.

Is the battery still good?

Offline ContraAl

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
Naa. The battery is toast. The machine was old when we got it and it was sitting for 5 years or so unplugged. I’ll just pop in a new one and see how it does.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »
The B9 doesn't use Super Caps. They used a 2 leg NiCad battery I believe.
I'll have to look at my collection of 10 boards I have in stock tomorrow.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »
you're right, he posted a photo of his mpu up in reply#7 and it has a dead 3.6v cylinder battery.

What about his "Rom is defective" error message, can a dead battery cause that?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
Yes, putting in a fresh battery usually fixes that.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
before you do any modifying of the holes, post the dimensions of the opening, I probably will have something you could use with the legends that would apply to your situation.

Jim

Signature:

Offline ContraAl

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 02:14:13 PM »
Thanks Jim. I found a store in LA that had replacement bulbs for $.60 each so I’m going to try to bring them back to life. Although that might go south really quickly.

Offline ContraAl

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
Hope everyone had a good t-day! 

I had plugged in the machine (bad rom), went on vacation for a week and I went to fire up the machine yesterday.  It worked fine.

The question is..  Are the board batteries rechargeable because I haven't replaced it yet.  :Scratch-Head:

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
They are nicad so rechargeable.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal