New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Problems Swapping MPU  (Read 2861 times)

Offline dailey

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Problems Swapping MPU
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
I swapped the MPU board on my S+ machine (transferred the game & reel prom) and upon powering up the machine won't boot and doesn't have any error codes that make sense.   Winner paid: 1000   Credits: 8010   Coins Played: 8     The machine doesn't respond to anything, door open close, key reset or test button.

This is a -704 board I just purchased. I verified the battery is good. Dip switches set correctly. Do I need to do a ram clear or key chip it ?? What am I doing wrong ?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Problems Swapping MPU
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »
Assuming you got the game and reel chips installed into the correct sockets, didn't bend a leg over and didn't insert the chip backwards into the socket here is one possibility to be aware of-

S+ mpu boards come in 2 versions - 10mhz and 16mhz. Some game and reel chips are only compatible with one version or the other and can't be swapped between unlike mpu boards. Was your replacement mpu the same as the original mpu?

The 10mhz mpu has the round blue volume adjust wheel on one edge. The 16mhz board does not have this.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline dailey

• dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
My replacement mpu is identical to the original. Both are 10mhz. The chips are in the correct sockets, no damaged legs, correct orientation etc. The machine will boot up with the original mpu but not with the new one. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems this new board must be bad.

The reason for the swap is an error code that I can't clear. I've exhausted other possibilities and wanted to test the mpu by swapping it. Just wish I had a known good board. I just purchased this one.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:36:18 AM »
check all the pins where the board plugs into the motherboard to be sure they are not bent.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »
what code couldn't you clear??   I have an S+ board tester, send it to me and I'll check it out for you.  I also have known good, tested S+ boards for sale.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
There are no bent pins. I put the original board back in and now the machine boots up, but with the usual error code 64. My focus in the past has been on the top box bonus game. The boards, wiring & connections. I'm now trying to rule out the mpu in bottom as possible cause. I read somewhere that in barcrest type games the mpu has sometimes been known to cause a 64 code.

Guess I'll try to return or exchange this new board. One concern I have about this vendor which doesn't give me a good feeling of confidence is the way this board was packaged. It was wrapped in standard bubble wrap with no ESD protection. I expected it to be in an anti-static bag or static dissipative bubble wrap (pink).

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
Did this game ever work for you?   what kind of game is it?  Barcrest  with a top box bonus unit???   a code 64 is common with those games, means the top box isn't talking to the bottom cpu.   usually the bottom cpu in a Barcrest is 16 meg? 

the more information you provide the more options we can help you with.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
This game is an S-Plus Slotto by AC coin. This game used to work flawlessly for previous owner until he changed the battery in top and bottom. He said the game always had code 64 at boot up but it was simple to clear by opening and closing the door. Now the 64 code is constant. I had the machine running briefly several times (bottom game) until I either hit the bonus game or did a reset, then 64 came back.

I also question the 10meg board, however the bottom end boots up and is capable if you can clear the code. Should I try swapping for a 16mhz board to see what it does ?

I acquired the game with a complete set of extra boards for the top box. Over time I have swapped every top board with no effect. I unplugged and reseated every connector. Recently after setting for a long time I powered up the machine and both top and bottom booted and the machine worked. This lasted until I hit the bonus round. The bonus game started then stalled out and 64 reappeared. Also, on rare occasions when I manage to get the bottom running, if I open and close the door, 64 comes back.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Sorry to tell you this, I have never worked on or had a AC coin machine.   Don't think I could offer any advice as to how to proceed.  I can still check out the board for you if that would help eliminate one thing.

Jim

Signature:

Offline slots4home

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
After reading all the posts I think the problem is in the top box.
As was said in a earlier post that the top and bottom are not communicating with each other.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Because AC coin went out of business, most of us are scared of them. Basically no parts available. If nothing else you can convert it back to a standard S+ and play double diamond etc. Since it worked sporadically before it must be a bad connection. Go over every plug everywhere and re-seat. Check wires for any breaks or pinches. Have you given us any pictures of top box and bottom? We might see something you are missing. The better and closer the pictures the better.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
Is there a security switch in the top box that needs to be bypassed? Also on the AC Coin S2000 they have a switch mounted in the bottom cabinet to reset the the upper bonus feature. When you get the error code you would open the door in the bottom cabinet , press the reset switch (on the S2000 AC Coin it is a White Cherry switch) close the door and the lower section will cycle and be ready to play after the door is closed.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
I got hold of a known good mpu board and tried it in the machine and still got the error code 64, thus ruling out the mpu. Next I disconnected and removed the mother/backplane board and examined it carefully and found several severely corroded terminal pins in the J3 connector. One pin in particular had a very heavy white crust over the gold pin. As viewed in the machine, J3 is the third connector from the left rear of the backplane board. I don't have a schematic so I don't know what these conductors do. I'll clean it up, reinstall it and see what happens.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »
Is this corroded pin with white stuff on it directly below the battery on the mpu? Sometimes a battery will leak (may happened in the past) and the leakage will drip down onto the motherboard several inches below.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:55 PM »
No, the battery would be inline with the other end of the board. It looks like some water must have gotten in. When I pulled the mother board and the underlying insulation, I found white crust that looks like corrosion and water stains. It's just confined to a small area under the mother board. The board itself looks clean other than the few pins.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
I think you can get another motherboard for not too much cost, that might be the best fix for that, depending on how those connector pins look. And you may have water damage out of view under stuff like the plastic connector housing.

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 11:27:00 PM »
I have a new mother board on order. In the meantime I cleaned the pins and reinstalled the board and tried it out. No change. You're correct about possible damage out of view so I'll install the new board and go from there.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »
What about the various security switches mentioned in reply#11 above?

Offline dailey

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 01:22:57 AM »
The top box uses the lower door cherry switch. There are no other security switches.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal