New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Belly Glass  (Read 57214 times)

Offline tomstark22

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • tomstark22 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Belly Glass
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
I will scan as soon as I get home.  Tell me if this seems correct.  This is how I was told it was colored originally?

Offline essmeier

• essmeier New User has no influence.
  • CTE
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Looks good.  Just let me know what parts need to have light shine through them.  Looks like it's probably everything that isn't black, but I can't tell if the word "featuring" lights up or not.  I'll also need the height and width of the glass, measured to the nearest 1/8" of an inch.

Charlie

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Is the  artwork printed onto vinyl or onto photo paper?
Is it printed with a vinyl ink jet printer?
What software can be used with the scanner?

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
Is the  artwork printed onto vinyl or onto photo paper?
Is it printed with a vinyl ink jet printer?
What software can be used with the scanner?

I've always used photo paper, though others have used vinyl.  It doesn't really matter, as long as it will hold ink. I use my own inkjet printer if the artwork is 8 1/2" wide or less, otherwise, I take it to a print shop and let them print it on whatever it is they use.  I just tell them that I want it printed full size on glossy photo paper and they take it from there.  My local Kinko's charges something like $3/square foot, so the cost would be minimal for something like a belly glass, which isn't much more than a square foot in size.  Costs will vary from shop to shop, of course, but it shouldn't cost too much.

Most flatbed scanners include software of some type for capturing the image.  My old model from Visioneer has a software interface that lets me scan from within Photoshop.

Charlie
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:46:21 PM by essmeier »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
Great Info !! Thanks Very Much!

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
Sent you a PM essmeier.  Think I am all set to go!

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
I've replied with the particulars.

Charlie

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Making a Belly Glass - The Easy Method

OK, here's an update on the process, complete with images and zip files for those who want to try this at home.  I'm hoping Tom will post photos as he puts the glass together.

In this post, we're going to discuss the easy method for doing this; the hard method will come in a subsequent post.  This method is quite simple, but the hard method may produce better results.  It all depends on your artwork and your level of patience.

The image shows three photos - the original scan, the completed cleaned-up artwork, and a black and white negative.  All images are the full size of the finished glass, in this case, 15 1/8" x 7 7/8".

Materials needed:

2 pieces of 1/8" thick glass, cut to 15 1/8" x 7 7/8"
1 tube clear silicone
1 color print on glossy paper
1 black and white print on white vinyl

Here's the process:

1. Have the color artwork printed on photo quality glossy paper.
2. Have the black and white artwork printed on white vinyl.  It's thinner than paper and will keep our glass from becoming awkwardly thick.  We want to block light in the black parts but allow light to pass through the white parts.
3. Lay one piece of glass on a work surface.
4. Lay the black and white image, artwork side up, on the glass.
5. Lay the color image, artwork side up, on top of the black and white image.
6. Put the second piece of glass over the color artwork.
7. Seal the edges with silicone.  Allow to dry for a few hours.

Done; you may install your glass.

I've never used this method, so I can't comment on the specific vinyl you need to use.  It just needs to be thin and pass light.  I know others who have used this and they've had good results.  The hard method requires more effort and time, but may provide better results when installed.

Charlie

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
Making a Belly Glass - Part II, The Hard Method

This method is more difficult and takes more time and a bit of patience.  If you do it right, it will provide a better looking finished product, but the difference between easy method results and hard method results may not be significant enough to justify the extra effort.

The image shows three photos - the original scan, the completed cleaned-up artwork, and a white and black negative.  All images are the full size of the finished glass, in this case, 15 1/8" x 7 7/8".

Materials needed:

2 pieces of 1/8" thick glass, cut to 15 1/8" x 7 7/8"
1 tube clear silicone
1 color print on glossy paper
1 white and black print on plain paper (two copies would be helpful, as it never hurts to have a spare)
1 X-Acto knife with a new blade
1 Spray can temporary stencil adhesive
1 Spray can Krylon gray primer

Here's the process:

1. Have the color artwork printed on photo quality glossy paper.
2. Have the white and black image printed on plain paper.  We're going to be cutting it up, so the material is not important.
3. Lay one piece of glass on a work surface.
4. Spray a light coat of the stencil adhesive on the back of the white and black artwork.  We want just enough to make it stick to the glass but we don't want a permanent bond.  Lay the white and black image, artwork side up, on the glass.  Adjust properly and smooth out any bumps or wrinkles.
5. Using the X-Acto knife, cut away and remove the border and everything that is white.  The only thing that should remain when you're done is the black artwork.  This is tedious, as cutting around the lettering can be a headache.  Make sure that no adhesive remains on the clear parts of the glass when you're done.  You can remove that with a piece of masking tape by just blotting it up.
6. Spray a light coat of gray primer over the clear glass and the black artwork.  Don't overdo it; you just want enough to cover everything but you don't want blotches or runs.  Do a second light coat, if necessary.  Allow the paint to dry for a half hour or so.
7. Remove the paper from the glass.  Using the tip of the X-Acto knife can help with this; be careful not to remove paint from the glass.  You should now have a painted piece of glass that's clear where all of the lettering and artwork are.
8. Lay the color image, artwork side up, on top of the painted glass.
6. Put the second piece of glass over the color artwork.
7. Seal the edges with silicone.  Allow to dry for a few hours.

Done; you may install your glass.

I've used this method a half a dozen times with good results. 

Pros - the combination of paint and the color print will absolutely block light in the black parts, and the color parts will pass more light than they will using the easy method, giving you brighter images.

Cons -  Much more time consuming and much more tedious.  Depending on your artwork, it can be quite a headache cutting around fine or small images or lettering.

I'd recommend using the easy method, but the hard method works well and has advantages for more complex glasses, such as the ones I have to deal with on pinball machines.

Charlie

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
I am taking pictures as I go.  This has been an amazing help and hopefully when complete I can help someone as Essmeier has helped me.  More to come!

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »
So I finished tonight.  I did it a little different then the instructions given.  I actually did a vector of the light blocking layer.  Then had it cut out at kinkos.  Total for the glass from Lowes and a print of the image and the light blocking layer cut I am at about $17.  If anyone is in need of the files to take in to have printed let me know.  I will share them with everyone since I was so fortunate to be helped to do this.  The pics make it look washed out but its not at all. looks great!

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
And a few more finished pics.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »

That looks super!
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »
This is all thanks to the help from essmeier.  He didn't know me from Adam and he took the time to help me do this.  Thank You essmeier!

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
Awesome awesome awesome job...  :cool_thumb_up: :applause: :hail:

I would be interested in any information you would be willing to share with me..  I have a machine in storage that I picked up a couple years ago and never have been able to find a belly glass. Mines broken and missing a big piece, but after seeing this, it makes me wonder if one could be rebuilt close enough so I could fix the machine. It's not just a belly glass, but the machines feature payout glass.. What do you all think?? See pic

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 11:13:01 PM »
Fantastic Job!  It makes me want to make glasses in advance for my rarer games.  I still don't understand how it was done (not a tech guy) but I am impressed.

Ra

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 11:57:38 PM »
... Mines broken and missing a big piece, but after seeing this, it makes me wonder if one could be rebuilt close enough so I could fix the machine. It's not just a belly glass, but the machines feature payout glass.. What do you all think?? See pic

Gary
I think that if you can find a decent picture of this glass (higher res is better) somewhere on the internet then you can make one in a similar way.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:36:44 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 05:48:49 AM »
Let me understand this guys and gals..  I need a digital picture of my glasses and I am set to make a copy? I am VERY interested now.  I am not computer guy but I would be willing to send out a digital picture and pay someone here to produce the glass. 

Any takers?

Ra

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Ra,

I've been reading about the process here but haven't done it. But what they are referring to is not a glass reproduction that will be similar in construction to the original. Instead, it is a photographic reproduction printed on paper or plastic film like vinyl or mylar that is sandwiched between two thin pieces of clear glass. The appearance effect you get is very nice and a good substitute when the original glass is not obtainable. The edges of the two pieces of glass are attached to each other to hold the whole thing together, using clear silicone or other method. This also keeps dust from getting inside.

They got the photographic image into the computer by scanning the original glass with a computer flatbed scanner. The scanner is sort of like a copy machine, it creates a computer file with the image of the glass that is scanned. But if your glass is broken and has pieces missing, or you don't have the glass then scanning won't work well. But if you find a quality photograph of the glass then it also can be used to print a quality image.

I think there are also guys and companies setup to do actual glass reproductions where the ink-like paint is applied to the glass. This is frequently done in the pinball hobby for rare glass. This method produces a glass that is essentially the equivalent of the original but it is more costly than the method outlined above. It sounds like essmeier is very familiar with doing all of this, you could contact him and see if he could make what you are wanting.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 08:42:58 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »
Glass looks great, Tom.  Not sure I understand the "vector" bit.  How, exactly, did they do the black and white layer?  Or did they simply print black onto clear material?  I'd be concerned about the printed black areas being too translucent.

Tell us more, please.

@rokgpsman

Good description of the process.  Create art, print so it passes light in appropriate places, sandwich in between two pieces of glass.

Here's a company that claims to be able to "repair" existing glass.  Their interest is pinball glass, but I imagine a paycheck is a paycheck, so I'd inquire.   I cannot speak for their work: http://bgresto.com/

@amechanic

A good photo or a scan of a complete glass is a minimum requirement for any kind of reproduction.  Obviously, you can't reproduce something if you don't know what it looks like...

@RiseLikeRa

As a rule, I don't have the time to do such things, as they're rather time consuming.  I offered to do Tom's artwork for him because it would leave us all with a "how to make your own belly glass" tutorial, which we now have.

The problem is that the amount of time taken to do the artwork is such that it's cost prohibitive to pay someone to do it for you.  Most slot machine glasses sell for about $50, tops, if you can find one.   While I told Tom it would probably take an hour to do his artwork, I actually spent about six hours on it due to the so-so scans that Kinkos did for him.  This is one of those things where you're either going to have to find someone to do it for you as a favor or learn how to do the work yourself.  Otherwise, you're going to end up paying hundreds of dollars for the finished product when you take labor into account.

BTW - that's how I learned to use Photoshop.  Got a copy of the software, a scanner, and a copy of Photoshop for Dummies.  I'm not an artist.

Nice results, Tom.

Charlie

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal