New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: need help with power supply from esprit set up  (Read 4288 times)

Offline clarkman42

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • clarkman42 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
need help with power supply from esprit set up
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
need some help with this power supply.

have esprit manuals n stuff. but i would like more detailed information such as full circuit diagram and component lists

i have already changed out the following
D2, TR7, TR5, TR3, R7, R4 C3, C4

i dont know what C8, C7,D1 are because there are hard to read.

Offline drfreeze1739

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 64
  • drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Re: need help with power supply from esprit set up
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
my power supply is a little diffrent..

but my  C8 and C7 shows  104 then below that it shows 25E OR ITS A Z5e
Thank you..

Mark Evans

Offline drfreeze1739

• Sr NLG Member
  • drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!drfreeze1739 Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
Here are some pics of my power supply
Thank you..

Mark Evans

Offline drfreeze1739

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »
Couple more of my power supply
Thank you..

Mark Evans

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »
In your image CAM 01200, one problem you have is related to the overheated "burned" connector terminal in the image. I'd take a look at that first.

The capacitors that are labeled 104 are 0.1uF ceramic, rarely do they go bad.

One of the transistors looks like it's been damaged and torn partially off the board.

That PC board looks like an early hobby homemade board! My guess would be that the whole power supply could be replaced by some currently available switching supplies, once you determine the pinouts.

Offline drfreeze1739

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
Yea the one that is burned goes to the big black capaitor can 16v 47000uf,

Im going to replace everything on the board...

i dont see any thing torn off the board...

Thank you..

Mark Evans

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
In your first image, the collector of TR5 and the large resistor under TR3 (I could have the part numbers dislexified) look to be in bad shape.

The MOLEX connector terminal is easily replaced.

Offline drfreeze1739

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
Here is a pic of what your talking about..

I dont see it..
Thank you..

Mark Evans

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:55:49 PM »
Must not be looking at the same image; the one from Clarkman is 20140228_112327.jpg

Looks pretty beat.

Offline drfreeze1739

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:26 PM »
Oh Ok..

I thought you where talking about the pics i posted on my power supply...

Thank you..

Mark Evans

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Here's the Esprit PSU schematic - but since you said you have the manuals, you must already have it. It doesn't look exactly like the schematic for your board.

It's all completely conventional, except for the mysterious TR3 in the middle, which in this diagram (but not on your PCB) is replaced by a pair of transistors, a diode and a couple of resistors. The reason is to avoid the damage you're trying to fix.

The Esprit is kind of a trap for the unwary in that the chassis, door, frame etc is not at common ground potential, but floats some 16V above it. TR3 is what connects the frame to this 16V supply (output of B3) but only when the 5V supply is up and running (purpose of D1, R5, R6). When there's 5V present, TR5 turns on which turns on TR3 which jacks the chassis up to 16V above common. There's a reason for this, the short version being that all the controls and lamps are AC controlled by triacs. What concerns us is that if anyone connects the chassis to common, as one might when poking around trying to trouble-shoot, it pretty much shorts out TR3.

The revised, 2 transistor "TR3" in the diagram is a current limited version. TR5 goes low to turn on, causing current to flow in R3 out of the base of TR3, turning TR3 on. Normally, so far as I can see, not a lot of current flows through TR3 into chassis. It will basically make up for leakage currents in the triacs. But under fault conditions, with the single TR3 the current is unlimited. With the new double arrangement, the current flowing out of TR3 flows into it via R1A, developing a voltage across R1A. When this voltage reaches about 0.6V, it's enough to turn on the new transistor TR3A, which then supplies some of the current in R3 instead of it coming from the base of TR3. So - because the current allowed to flow through TR3 is in direct proportion to the current flowing out of its base - the base current is limited because TR3A bypasses it.

When you do get this fixed, you're probably going to have to deal with the fault that caused the problem in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:05:29 PM by Op-Bell »

Offline John Breedlove

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • John Breedlove New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 05:37:17 AM »
That is not a hobby board, that is the way they were, "back in the day"!  If I were doing it I would remove all the solder from the old
connectors first and resolder each one, do not just reflow the solder, may not work.  Cheers

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal