New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help with GameKing bootup  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Blueridgeslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Blueridgeslots New User barely matters.Blueridgeslots New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: Help with GameKing bootup
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 06:28:48 PM »
I think I would try the old chips and simm in the new cpu first (don't even clear it) and see what happens then.

My guess is that copied set has a bad chip or a label is mixed up, since they are copies and you have a burner, get the seller to see if he was one who did them and have him send you the files to compare chips

Offline jimhowardjr

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • jimhowardjr New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »
Hi -
I tried my old chips in the new board and now the screen is still color pixelated but flashes and the colors change a little. 

I also tried the new chips in the old board and just get the color pixelated screen again.   I doubled checked that all of the chips were in the correct position and seated properly - all chips legs in place.

As I mentioned before the key 40 chip worked in both boards and I was able to reset all three and reboot fine.  Still can't get the machine working though :(   

I've also contacted the seller of my new board/chips to see if he has the files for the chips so that I can compare.

Any other suggestions that I can try? 

I also have a chip burner so if anyone has the checksums on these chips so that I can check them to make sure they're at least the same, that would be great.

I attached a photo of the old chips in the new board.

Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:57:46 AM by jimhowardjr »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »
Check your +13 and +25VDC power supply output voltages and see what they are.  You can measure them at J13 where the power connects to the motherboard.

Offline jimhowardjr

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 02:09:38 PM »
Hi Tilt,

Thanks for the page - that made it easy to test.   The voltages on my machine are 12V and 23.1V

Jim

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 03:03:56 PM »
Those are both pretty low.  Do you have another power supply that you can swap it out with?  It's the same as in a S2000 if you have one.  Low DC voltages can cause the grey pixelated screen too.  Since you have essentially the same issue with second MPU I would replace the power supply before going too much further into them. 

Offline jimhowardjr

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
Tilt,

Unfortunately this is the only IGT machine I have.  The only other machine I have is a Bally 6000.

I guess I'll have to see if I can find one on nlg

Thanks,
Jim

Offline jimhowardjr

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Thanks for the power supply suggestions.  I opened the power supply and found a blown cap.

Hopefully, that's all it is

Jim

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
Yep, that cap has definitely seen better days!

Offline DanTheMan

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • DanTheMan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
I have seen this pixelated screen caused by a damaged PCB trace on the 039 board. There is some read/write decode logic just to the right (notch) side of the BASE chip and there is a tiny trace that passes right below the BASE socket that can be damaged by using a screwdriver to pry the chip out of the socket. This signal (SRAM OE/) travels from U25 pin 8 to the SIMM sockets, the SRAM sockets (pin 24) and the EPROM sockets. If I remember correctly, if you pull the RAM chips out and you start it up, the pattern will go away. Use an ohm meter or continuity tester to follow the signal and see if it is missing. Then you just have to solder a replacement wire in its place.

I highly recommend this tool for extraction of the EPROMs. http://www.amazon.com/Jonard-EX-2-Extraction-Tool-24-40/dp/B006C3Y8IY

Offline jimhowardjr

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Hi all - UPDATE

thank you all for your help.  I replaced the bad cap on the board (now the voltages are correct), key chipped, and it booted up...it's alive!!

I'm using the new MPU and chip that i bought and the old chips are still producing pixelated screen.  I think one of my chips is bad.  I'll have to buy another set of 792's...or I have a chip burner if someone could help.

Nice!

Jim
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:05:49 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 12:06:35 AM »
Great to see its back up and running. I still have that set of 792 GK software if your interested. Let me know if your interested. I'll make you a great deal on the set.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline jimhowardjr

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »
Amechanic,

Thanks for the offer.  Some already hooked me up and now it's working!

Jim

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
Not a problem. Just saw your post still looking for a set of 792 GK software. Maybe I'll post it here for sale then. I have a couple complete factory sets.

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal