New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Universal "FIERY DOUBLES" Slot Machine is not working!!!  (Read 24879 times)

Offline luv2video

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • luv2video New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Universal "FIERY DOUBLES" Slot Machine is not working!!!
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »
Hello, I'm new here & to slot machine ownership, so please bare with me. I recently acquired a Universal "FIERY DOUBLES" Slot Machine that is not working. when I first opened the door & turned on the power, all the lights came on perfectly, but nothing else worked. So I did a little trouble shooting & found 2 fuses in the power supply(see pics) were burnt out. So I replaced them. I again turned the power on, there was a little quick movement in the coin shoot, & then nothing. I checked the fuses again & the same 2 were blown again.I looked through the machine & don't see any shorts & everything looks OK, so I thought I'd go online & ask the Pro's for help(that's you guys, lol)...Here's some pics to start with that I hope will help. I will take & post whatever pics you need to help diagnose this problem. Thank you for any & all the help & advice you can give!!!

Also, after reading through the posts that gave info about "Fiery Doubles" slot machines, I'm confused about a couple things. I read that all "Fiery Doubles" slot machines were "ULTRA" slot machines & that they all have it printed in the front glass... This machine does not. I also read that all "ULTRA" slot machine came with the slot to accept dollar bills... This machine does not. So is this slot machine an "ULTRA" or not???
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:02:34 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Universal "FIERY DOUBLES" Slot Machine is not working!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
that's a typical Y-90 or something along those lines, not an ULTRA.   unplug the large connector coming out of the front of the power supply, remove the reel assembly, unplug the three connectors in front of the reel mech. and undo the two screws, observe the position of the assembly, I usually mark the right hand side, unplug the connector coming out of the top on the side of the power supply,  put some fuses in the power supply and turn on, if the fuses don't blow, then the power supply is good, if they blow then something inside the power supply is shot.

Hope  this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »
Yep, a standard UNI, made in the mid 1990's. The button deck is larger than earlier models. Do as Jim said, disconnect outputs from power supply and determine if problem is in power supply.

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
Hi,   Thank You for your response. I apologize for my slow response, I will get better!!! Ok, I did as you asked. I unplugged connector in front of power supply(pic 1), unplugged 3 Reel connectors & removed Reel Mech(pic 2 & 3), & unplugged connectors on side of power supply(pic 4). Then I turned the power on & again, they blew immediately... So, what should be my next step???

Again, Thank you very much for all your help!!!   David...

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:46:02 AM »
look at the last picture in your post, there are two connectors on the front of the power supply itself, the one is the power going in and the other the power going out. it is the power out connector you should unplug , and see what happens, if the fuses blow, then your power supply is bad. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it repaired, since it is blowing a particular set pertaining to a specific a/c voltage  which will in turn produce a certain dc voltage. probably the diodes or the regulator for that voltage causing the problem.

would have to look at the schematics to be certain.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
Ok Jim,   I did that &, again, they blew again... So that means the power supply is bad? What's my next step?   Thanks again, David

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »
You have a faulty power supply. Not sure where problem is. Power supply needs to be opened up and examined. Do you plan on doing this yourself? Do you have a test meter? How familiar are you with electronics?

First thing I always check is the noise filter. Do not usually blow fuses but are usually the first thing to fail. Easy fix, just remove them, not really needed.
 Look at this link; http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=177.0
Third post down shows the noise filter.
I would check continuity between input and output with an Ohm meter looking for an open circuit and across the hot & nuetral looking for a short that would blow fuses.
Also look over interior for any burnt areas where power may have grounded.
Don't touch capacitor leads, they can bite!

Don't be concerned about Green, Red, or Yellow Dot mentioned in the link, your machine has Yellow Dot style and the machine is wired for it.

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »
ok, yes, i'm going to try to fix myself, yes, I have a meter, & yes i understand basic electronics. So hopefully we can figure this out... I have removed the noise filter prior to these posts, so that's not it. After my initial visual inspection, I found a blown 220 mfd capacitor. (see photo) I will replace it asap. Do you think that could be the problem? I don't see any other trouble spots so far. 

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:56 AM »
I know Uni's inside and out, but I have limited electronics experience. So maybe a more knowlegable member can help now.

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 06:29:46 AM »
 i changed that bad capacitor, but the fuses still blow...  Where do I go or check next? Or maybe somebody has an extra power supply like mine & wants  to sell it?
Plz let me know...  Thanks...

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »
I'll have to dig out my schematics, but what I could remember, there are three individual power supplies in that unit, each of the different ac voltages supply a diode rectifier, some caps and a regulator and its support components. you should be able to determine which one is working and which one is not by measuring the voltages at the output. I think the pink wire was the +5vdc.  I think the other two voltages were +12vdc and +24vdc,  they all have the same basic components, I would suspect the diode rectifier or the regulator associated with the 9.5vac .
use the ohms feature on your meter and compare that diode regulator to the others.

Jim

Signature:

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 04:03:11 PM »
Thanks Jim, & I will check that. But first I want to show you something burnt that I just found. I think it is call a "bridge rectifier"(plz correct me if I'm wrong)?

Pic #1 is the insides of my power supply.
Pic #2 I've zoomed in on the rectifiers.
pic #3 shows one or the rectifiers that I found burnt & I've unscrewed it & pulled it forward to see better.
pic #4 my finger is on a green wire that has turned brown from overheating.
pic #5 are the numbers on the bottom of the rectifier.

Obviously I need to replace that rectifier...
Any ideas on where they sell these rectifiers?

Now, should I wait to do any more checks until after I replace that part or should I check the voltages you suggested in your prior post anyway? Or do something else all together?

I sure hope that this helps you to help me diagnose my problem(s)...

Thanks again, David

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:45 PM »
the schematic I have is shows the 9.5vac feeds two bridge rectifiers, the two are associated with the 16vdc caps, one is 10000mics, the other 28000mics.  a bridge has four diodes in it, the notch on the one side and its opposite corner are the ac input to the bridge  the  other corners are the output to the filter cap and ground.  the 10000mic cap is the +12 volt output,  the 28000 mic cap is the input to the regulator for the +5vdc.  if you google bridge rectifier it should describe how the diodes work with a ac signal applied, these diodes only conduct current flow in one direction, therefore you can test each diode inside the bridge using an ohm meter, typically on the 1000K scale . lets set the bridge as a map, the notch would be north, the other points would be the other respective directions, now place the black lead on the north prong, the red lead on the east prong, check the reading on the meterthere is either a reading or no reading or a short(zero ohms), now put the lead on the west prong, observe readings, now reverse the leads, red on north and black on east and west and observe readings. now do the same only start on the south and do the east and west and observe readings.  if any are zero ohms or very low resistance then that diode is shot. the number on the bottom is the part number, if you google it it should return a voltage rating and current rating for the device, then you could go to Mouser, Jameco electronics and do a search for that component on their web site. replace which ever bridge you find bad, that should solve your problem.

Jim

Signature:

Offline brokenticker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • brokenticker New User barely matters.brokenticker New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 06:22:36 PM »
Im parting out some universal slots , they were tournament games (no hoppers or coin in stuff, Have 7 of these most work but have broken glass, let me know if you need power supply

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »
YES BROKENTICKER, If it's the right one? I have the "Yellow Dot" power supply! How much are you asking for one???   

TY, Brokenticker

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 06:12:38 PM »
YES BROKENTICKER, If it's the right one? I have the "Yellow Dot" power supply! How much are you asking for one???   

TY, Brokenticker
The tournament power supplies most likely are not Yellow Dot, but I wouldn't worry about it. Believe your machine can use any style, Green, Red, Yellow Dot.
Universal started with the Green Dot, then the Red Dot, both with same outputs. Then they came out with the Yellow Dot with pin outputs #6 and #12 at 24vac instead of 110vac that the Red and Green had. The 24vac was for electronic light starters instead of ballast. I've never seen the electronic starters in a machine??? Don't know when they used them.
So Universal changed the wiring harness on machines using the Yellow Dot by moving the 110vac ballast lights to pins #3 and #9 where the hopper is too. Then they increased the fuse by 1 amp. The tell tale sign that a machine is wired for a Yellow Dot is the grey and white wires outside of the black shrink wrap that goes to the door. If you follow the grey and white wires you will see it goes to pins #3 and #9. Notice the tournament machines do not have the exposed grey and white wires along the shrink wrap. That tells me they are not Yellow Dots and they couldn't use a Yellow dot. But your machine should use any style.
Your pins #6 and #12 should be connected to a small connector in the door not being used. (intended for electronic starters) Just make sure the connector does not short on anything as with the tournament power supplies the connector will be 110vac instead of 24vac.

Brokenticker, those tournament boards can be converted to game boards. They have four traces cut on the backside. You can solder jumpers to restore the board. Also, the sub-board at location 1A is usually missing. But these can be overcome by programing a 27c32 eprom and putting it there. Probably not much call for that anymore.

Offline brokenticker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:10:21 PM »
I will check to see if yellow dot, and let you know

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 06:57:10 AM »
Thanks again for all the help from everybody!!! I have ordered the bridge rectifiers to replace bad ones. Hopefully they will solve my problem with my PS.

Brokenticker... I'm still interested in your PS's just in case there is deeper problems with my PS. But even if my PS works, I might need some other parts from you. So, Plz let me know about your PS's & what you want for it(or them). Thank you!!!

Uni... I took some pics of the grey & white wire you described & followed them to where they plug into a box on the door. Is this where they are supposed to go? What does that box do exactly? Just want to make sure everything is plugged in where it should be before hooking up the PS...

Thanks again for all the help & patience...

David
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:00:40 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline brokenticker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 10:16:11 PM »
looked at power supply ? don't know if its a yellow dot or not , But will work $25.00 plus shipping , Im going to part out 3 of them , They work but have broken glass, pete

Offline luv2video

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »
Awesome, Brokenticker... Better yet, Aren't you in Calif?  I'm just down here in Riverside!!!  If so, maybe I can just pick it up & save a few on shipping? Those PS are quite heavy. Curious what shipping cost is...

I will keep u informed as to whether those bridge rectifiers work on my PS...  BTW, what would you sell the whole machine eor, broken glass & all???

Thanks again...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal