New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Universal jackpot 7s - handle not working  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Inetjnky

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Inetjnky New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Universal jackpot 7s - handle not working
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
Tested again with my meter.  At rest it was reading 26.32vac.  When I dropped a coin it went to 26.26vac. i did the test twice and the second time it went from 26.32 vac to 26.29vac.  Not sure what I am to expect to see on the meter?

Pulled the power supply for pictures.

Notice the two pin brown plug that's not plugged into the board below it.  Should it be?

20k201u, is that the noise filter?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:37:35 PM by Inetjnky »

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »

Not sure what that little connector is for. The black noise filter has been bypassed, GOOD! Saves you doing it later as they always fail and are not needed. Tower-4 board is there.
If you have 26 Vac (close enough to 24Vac) on the wires then the solenoid is bad as it should be pulling in the release. You are probably seeing voltage before dropping the coin because it was set before.
Power supply looks good.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 09:30:03 PM »
Ok, so a few questions...

1) where can I get replacement bulbs for both the upper and lower glass as well as the buttons and other small bulbs?  I have a few that are out.  Also looks like the lower tombstones that the fluorescent bulb plugs into are shot.  Any idea where I can get ones to replace these?  Anyway to test the lamp drivers?

2). Where can I find a replacement solenoid?  I ran test #5 on the machine and when it ran test 5/137 for the handle solenoid, it pulled the solenoid in and activated the handle.  Seems the solenoid is fine based on this test?  Would the board in the power supply still produce this result during the test if the board was bad?  It still doesn't activate the solenoid when dropping a coin or using a credit.

3). What is the bell for on the back of the top box?  Should I leave it disconnected?  The wires come down from the tower lamp so I'm guessing on a jackpot it would activate the bell?

4). How can we diagnose the hum of the reels?  Video to hear noise here...
! No longer available
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:22:58 PM by Inetjnky »

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »
5) any idea where I might find the silver trim for the top glass?  I just noticed that 3/4 of the one on the right isn't missing.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »

Ok, your solenoid works when tested but does not when played. Then the solenoid is good, your Tower-4 board is good. The top handle optic is the problem. Could be the optic or could be the violet wire from the optic to the mpu board. You can swap it with a lower handle optic and see if the solenoid pulls in. (Handle still shouldn't work)
If the solenoid pulls in with different optic then the violet wire has good connection and you confirm optic is bad. If solenoid still does not pull in then the violet wire is the problem.

The optics send a HI/LO signal. The mpu must see that top optic (by the solenoid) in order to activate it. Even if it lights it may still have a problem sending both HI/LO signals.

The reels are old Universal reels. The noise they make is pretty much normal. A little loud but I've seen this many times. The fluorescent bulbs should be found at Home Depot. The wedge bulbs can be bought online. I have seen several different sizes with C657 the most used. Believe they are 28Vdc. Fluorescent bulb sockets you most likely need to rig something from an old light unit.
I'll dig a little deeper on the bell wiring. Seems like I remember they were connected to the hopper. Try plugging it in and cashout your credits and see when the hopper runs the bell should ring. Bells are not often used for home use as they get annoying.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »
Swapped the optic and the solenoid isn't pulling in.  Guess I'll find some time this coming weekend to trace out the violet wire and see what I can locate.  Thanks for your help in getting to the bottom of this.

Bummer on the reel noise...

Thanks for the info on the bulbs, the Floresents both work (test by putting bottom in top where top is working and it lights up, just not on the bottom.  It did work when I first bought the machine but stopped.  Rotating the bulb got it to light up slightly but then after removal stopped working after I inserted a known good bulb.  I'll see if I can track down some old tombstones.

The bell is more of a curiosity need a must get working.  I was actually thinking of taking it out and wiring it up to my house door bell.  Cash out on credits doesn't produce any sound.  Pressing the change button produces no sound.  Running test #5 produces no bell sound. 

Perhaps the bell isn't meant to work since it seems I have a Frankenslot (machine of various parts all put together to make a working machine?)

One other question... the coin comparitor.. what's the largest denomination you can use in it?  Will it accept the new $1 coins?

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
If you were to change coin size you need to change several pieces in the hopper. So the coin comparator should except up to a dollar token but then the hopper would need at a minimum a new wheel, and knife, and other parts I can't even remember. Good luck finding these parts, better off looking for a complete dollar hopper.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2017, 06:53:43 PM »
Not going to change, was just curious.  Thank you.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »

Oh, and I forgot the coin head on the door where you drop coins in too. Would need a bigger one if that one is for nickels.

The CC-16 should go up to $1 tokens, after that there is a wide body CC-16 that takes $5 tokens and up. There is also a wide body coin entry system from Universal that holds the wide body CC16.

Another note on your handle problem. No doubt now the upper handle optic signal is the problem or it could be the mpu board has a problem receiving and processing it.
Those three optics all go to the mpu. If I unplug my top optic on my machine the solenoid does not engage when a coin is entered but will in test #5, like yours. The mpu sees the optics and energizes the solenoid when all three are off. The mpu sends the signal to the Tower-4 board that energizes the relay to power the solenoid.
What you can do, with power off to machine, is pull the mpu board. In the back there are two edge connectors, a top one and bottom one. That violet wire lands on the top edge connector, left side, 10th pin down from the top. In your manual there should be a wiring schematic showing it, not sure which page. Anyways, if you set your meter to ohms and put one lead on the violet wire on the optic connector and the other lead on the edge connector, top, 10th down on the left, you should see continuity (the ohm meter moves to the right) telling you the wire is getting there, or nothing telling you the wire has a break. 

One other thing I have seen before. Behind that mpu frame with the edge connectors, sometimes screws can fall back there and can cause shorts. Unscrew the mpu frame and just pull it away take a look. Make sure no screws or quarters stuck back there.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »
The mpu is the motherboard with the eproms and sound chip right?  If so I know there are no screws or quarters because I took it all apart to replace the battery on the board.  If you are referencing a different board please let me know.  I'll have to take it out to test.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »

Yes that is the mpu with battery, chips, etc.
No, that is not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about where the mpu (in the case it is mounted in) attaches to the machine. Where you slide that case in has two edge connectors in the back. Behind those edge connectors are all the wires. That is where junk can get caught.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »
Hey UNIMAN, sorry I fell off the radar.  I ended up starting a major remodel of my house and haven’t been able to  get back alk to th is yet, but will hopefully soon.  In the meantime the fluorescent light light on the door works sometimes (flickering by doesn’t fall illuminated light up) and I believe it’s the ballast that’s bad.  Would you happen to have a spare or know someone who might?  Is ther any info you would need to know such a simple a part number?  Thanks!

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
Just finished working on a universal with similar problems,  used test #6 to verify which optic was bad, my solenoid would energize but not spin the reels when the handle was pulled and the solenoid would begin to chatter.  I believe you will see the three numbers that will come up on the display, 205 ,206 and 207,  each one will be displayed when you block the sensor (put something between the "U" shaped optic.

I removed the bottom optic from the coin in chute, and used it for the top optic on the handle. took a little work to get it to work as it should, but you only need it to let the tab get between the optic. the three wires are pink (+5vdc)  black ( ground) and the return wire to the cpu , in your case violet.  you will see the pink wire jump to both boards in the optic, and the ground to only one, this puts +5vdc on the emitter optic to generate a beam that will turn on the opposite detector and pass the +5vdc onto the cpu for recognition that that optic is doing what it should be doing.  as for the removed optic on the coin chute, I tied the pink and white wire together. DO NOT TIE THE PINK WIRE TO THE BLACK WIRE. YOU WILL CAUSE A SHORT.

parts are becoming hard to find for these machines.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
Thank you Jim for the info.  I believe my solenoids are all good but I’ll keep this info for reference going forward.  I haven’t had a chance to test the MPU board as UNIMAN described above but will likely get to that shortly and then go from there.  Hoping it’s just a break in the wire which would be easily fixed and not the MPU itself.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal