New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Battery replacement in Bally Montana Video Poker Machine  (Read 7349 times)

Offline tommyboy1951

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • tommyboy1951 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Battery replacement in Bally Montana Video Poker Machine
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
How do you replace the battery on the mother board in a Ballys Deuces Wild or I was told it is a Bally Montana made in 1992. The model number is : VPOKB3-LT . I was told that the battery is located in the stack up of chips on the left side of the board. How do you get inside the chip to get the battery out and replace with a new one. Is there any thing available on the market to replace it with. After the battery has been replaced, what else has to be done to get the machine running again. I actually have 2 of these the same. The games both power up and it shows 5 cards on the screen, but that is it. Each machine shows various errors. It won't accept coins. Maybe replacing the battery might take care of most of the problem. Any ideas?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Battery replacement in Bally Montana Video Poker Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:01:00 AM »
Post some photos of the board with where you think the battery is located. You said it was the motherboard, but what about the mpu (main logic) board, that is often where a battery is located. Anyway, photos are always helpful on a problem like this and will get your best chance at getting help.

I'm not familiar with this model of machine, don't know if a bad battery will cause the problems you are seeing. Did the machines you have ever work properly, then stopped at some point - or were they in this condition when you got them?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline tommyboy1951

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »
Here is a pic of the board. I talked to Larry Webber in Las Vegas and he is familiar with this game. He said it is actually called a Bally Maverick. He said the battery is located in a stack up of chips. He has new ones and I ordered a couple of them along with a clear chip to install after the battery is replaced. I probably won't receive them until early next week. These 2 machines are the way I bought them. The guy I bought them from said they worked at one time when he had them, but they sat for quite some time not being used. So I would think that replacing the batteries might help them out and give us some new ways to repair them. I will post the new update after I get the batteries installed. Thanks, Tom

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 05:40:16 AM »
Sounds like you have a repair plan with it and Larry will be able to help. I was trying to figure out what you meant when you said a "stack up of chips"??  By that do you mean one of the socketed chips? There are some chips that contain a battery, they are usually installed in sockets, often called a "Dallas" chip after the name of the company that makes one variety of them. The battery is fabricated inside the chip when it is made, you can't replace the battery itself, have to replace the entire chip. Anyway, I think you are right about the battery likely needing to be replaced and hopefully will take care of things.

Also, this board in your photo is generally called an mpu or the main logic board. A motherboard is a different sort of animal in slot machines, it is the less complex interconnect board that other circuit boards connect to. Not all slot machine have a motherboard. [on computers the term "motherboard" does mean the main logic board, this is where the confusion comes from]
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline tommyboy1951

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:12:43 AM »
Yes , you are right. It is a Dallas chip and I assume that I will be receiving the entire chip that holds the battery. I took off the top chip and underneath was the chip marked Dallas. Larry will walk me through the installation and hopefullyI will get it right. I will keep you posted. Thanks, Tom

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 04:20:45 PM »
Ya, they are Dallas NovRAM chips with the battery built inside. They can sit on the shelf for years with no battery degradation but the battery connects when power is first applied.

I know, I used to design with those and gave Larry my last 10 when we ran out. We have 4 left, you are getting two. That leaves two left in stock.

Some day I am hoping to get a Maverick into the shop so I can design a work around and eliminate the necessity for the obsolete NovRAM.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »
I looked over his photo of the cpu/mpu board, where is the Dallas chip located on the board?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 12:31:07 AM »
Lower left of photo. Along the edge, counting from bottom  left corner Count 7 blurred rectangles up to a black rectangle, that is the NovRAM.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
Lower left of photo. Along the edge, counting from bottom  left corner Count 7 blurred rectangles up to a black rectangle, that is the NovRAM.

Would that be my index location #7 on the photo below?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »
no 6

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »
Thanks, I haven't seen one in a while, wanted to take a look. Hopefully there is a static ram chip with similar pinout that can install in the socket, then run external battery power to the power pin. But sometimes it isn't that easy.

Offline Batman

• Batman New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
Good evening, I had my battery chip replaced and now my screen is completely readable except I keep getting a "24 Volt" error message at the bottom of the screen and a "RAM Error" as well. Thoughts?

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
You bought another NVRAM module?
Ebay? China? You know all of the batteries in those are depleted.
Did you try the following (see attached)?
My shop does the attached mod AND includes a CMOS clear chip and the game comes up.

Offline Batman

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »
Alan, is this you? Badbaud?

Offline Batman

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
Alan, I sent you an email. I just got my board back the other day. See the email for the issues. Thanks Alan.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 08:16:07 AM »
Email replied to, suggested clear chip be ran.

Offline Batman

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 07:29:41 PM »
Badbaud, please check your email when you have a chance. Thank you.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 404
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 08:05:42 PM »
I haven't even turned on my Dakota Superstar video poker in about 7-8 years now....last time I used it, I replaced the Novram battery chip.
I'm going to guess it's dead by now.

I might need to utilize your battery mod.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
I posted the fix in the Maverick section or you can send me the box and I will do it for $$$.

Offline Batman

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
For those of you out there with a Bally Maverick, I have had mine for maybe ten years. The battery chip went dead and I was told by everyone I had an attractive boat anchor. I found Alan through this website and sent him the board from the game to rig with his battery solution he has posted on this thread. I got the board back, plugged it and it works perfect, like new. Alan took the time to walk me through the steps to utilize the CLEAR Chip and then to put the game chip back in. I am not a technician, far from it, but this was easy! Thanks Alan. I would highly recommend him for your Bally Maverick battery chip issues. He is the best.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal