New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: DBV-200 programming version 2.70 for Bally 5500  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
DBV-200 programming version 2.70 for Bally 5500
« on: November 09, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
I have a Bally Pro 5500 with a DBV-145 bill validator... I want to upgrade to the DBV-200, and I need to know what software version they run? Do they usually a sticker on the bill head? I know where there might be a couple, but I don't know what they might be programmed for, Bally, IGT? Is there a way to tell? I'm use to working with the WBA-12/13, but when it comes to the DBV units I'm like a fish out of water..

Gary
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:26:49 PM by Amechanic »
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: DBV-200 question about programming versions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:31:53 PM »
Here is my take on it, others can probably expand on this.

The DBV-200 heads usually have a sticker right on the top near the front edge showing the software that was installed when the DBV-200 was new. But often over the years the software is changed or updated but the original sticker is left on there so it doesn't always tell you what is actually installed. If you turn the DBV-200 upside down you will see either an eprom in a socket or a flash memory chip soldered to the circuit board. Many times there is a sticker on the eprom that says what version software has been loaded and this may be a better way to know what is actually in it.

Each DBV-200 software is written for a specific slot machine brand or model and that is identified by what is called the ID Protocol. This is a 3 digit number like ID-003 or ID-045, etc. So you would need to get a DBV-200 with the correct software for the machine you are installing it into, and you would want the latest/newest/last version of that software so your DBV-200 would accept as many bills currently in circulation as possible. Or you can get a working DBV-200 and replace the software eprom in a socket yourself or have it done for you. This isn't hard if the DBV-200 has an eprom, many people can make the eprom for you and you just pop out the old eprom and replace it. If the DBV-200 is the type with a soldered flash memory then it has to be programmed with a special setup. JCM no longer supports these old DBV units and they won't let ordinary folks like us download the software files to burn the eprom ourself. So you have to seek out someone that already has the correct software, or get it done by an authorized place.

Someone familiar with the Bally 5500 can probably say what DBV id protocol software is needed. I think Bally machines used ID-044p/045p for DBV bill validators, but you'd want to verify that. See the partial JCM document below but keep in mind it is from an old document and things may have changed. The guys at Ohio Gaming (and maybe others as well) can likely give you expert guidance on this but they specialize in IGT stuff so they may not have software for Bally. See the note on their website, bottom half of screen:

http://www.ohiogaming.com/jcmdbvhead.htm

Note: there was a writeup years ago by an NLG hobbyist about how to convert a DBV-200 from the flash memory style to an eprom style. You remove the flash memory and solder in socket strips to the DBV circuit board, then install the eprom. This isn't a simple task but can be done by someone handy.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:11:03 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:43:51 PM »
Count the pins on the long brown connector on the right of the 200 BV.
If it has 12 pins it is made for a IGT machine.
If it has 11 pins it is made for Bally and Sigma games.

We do have a flasher for the 200 if you buy one without a EPROM socket.
Can also rejuvenate the belts and calibrate it, but any reputable vendor would have done that before they sold it.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
Thank you for the information on the pins. I'll also remember that you can flash the 200 if I need to. I have a couple feelers out, just waiting to hear back.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
Re: DBV-200 programming version 2.70 for Bally 5500
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:17 PM »
Well good news, I found a DBV-200 for my Bally 5500 Super Continental.. The Bad thing is that the software is not current. I think the sticker said 2.12. It did take a one dollar bill but that was it. I would like to locate the last update available for the DBV-200. I believe it's Bally 044-045 version 2.70. My bill head is a EPROM setup. What is the number and type of EPROM used to program the DBV-200? It's like I said earlier, I don't know much about these bill validators, :Scratch-Head:  but I think I've come a long way in the past couple days..  :dancing_2:  There still might be hope for me yet..? :yes:

Thanks again, Gary
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 02:16:01 AM »
Below is the JCM software information sheet for that version 2.70 DBV-200 software, it lists the eprom as a ST Microelectronics 27c4001 or equivalent, 90 nsec speed. (not sure it has to be that fast, I've seen 120nsec eproms used in DBV-200, JCM may just be playing it extra safe). That software release is dated December 2007, so any bills in use at that time that are still in circulation today should work.

If you have the DBV-200 you can remove the eprom in it, erase and reprogram it since it is an eprom, don't necessarily have to buy another eprom, and the one that's already in there is the correct type. You can see what type/part number of eprom it is, the part number is written on the top of the chip, may need to remove a label to see the chip markings. The only difficulty might be coming up with the .bin file for the software, perhaps Badbaud or someone can help with that?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 02:55:00 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 02:36:06 AM »
I was I such a big hurry to test the DBV-200 when I got home that I forgot to pull it and get the information. Now its buried under the mounting plate.  :fryingpan: :banghead:
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 02:40:51 AM »
well, I guess it was good to get it installed and test it, that way you know you got a good working one, so it wasn't wasted time. They should always accept at least a $1 bill. Did you try a $20 in it?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 02:46:30 AM »
never mind on the $20 question, I looked up the ver 2.12 software and it is pretty old, don't think it will take any bills currently in circulation except the $1.

If you or someone you know has another Bally slot that has a DBV-200 in it that could be a way to get the software you need for this setup. If you decide to buy a blank 27c4001 or equivalent eprom it is easy to find for under $5. I (and probably others here) can help make the eprom for you, would be happy to do it no charge, but I don't have the 2.70 software file to load, would need to get that. This would be for making what I'd call a *backup* eprom, can't imagine anyone being sticky about this on such old equipment that isn't supported by manufacturer anymore but you never know. 

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:15:56 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 05:33:44 AM »
Thanks for the help and information.. I have the equipment to do the job, its find the new piece to finsh the upgrade.
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
ok, that's good, I was thinking you were setup to program chips but wasn't sure. Hopefully someone will send you a pm or email with what you need. Folks that have ever done this typically save the file in case they need it in the future. Also, since Badbaud said they have a flash programmer setup to load software into DBV's with flash style memory then they may have the software release you need. The software is the same whether it goes into eprom or flash memory. Maybe he could program an eprom for you, could try contacting him to see if that is an option.

In the meantime you can use the DBV by inserting a bunch of $1 bills and maybe hit a good win to rack up some credits. Was the Bally 5500 working fairly well when you got it or were there other things you had to fix on it?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
Ya, got it but you need to do a full calibration whenever software is changed. I can do that also plus test it in a Bally game. PM me.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
Ya, got it but you need to do a full calibration whenever software is changed. I can do that also plus test it in a Bally game. PM me.

:cool_thumb_up:

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
Time to close this topic. With the help Sunrise Side and Tilt, I now have my DBV-200 taking the bills I wanted it to. I am now running the DBV-200-SH Verson 2.70 ID-044P/045P.. Thanks for everyone's help.

Gary
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal