New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Dbv 200 in bally game maker please help  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Jhvygr2

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Jhvygr2 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Dbv 200 in bally game maker please help
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
I have a slant game maker that I recently purchased and need some guidance to get the bill validator working. It is a JCM DBV-200 IDO44/45 with version 2.60 software. It will take in bills and load them into the cash box but will NOT give me any credits. On the diagnostics menu under bill acceptor it says INVALID PROTOCOL and COMMUNICATION DEVICE ERROR. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what I should try next to get it working? I already checked all plugs and wires and everything looks good. I even switched dip switch 10 on the dbv to on with no change in performance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Oh and just a little fyi it does have the eprom chip on the bottom of the dbv.

Offline Jhvygr2

• NLG
Re: Dbv 200 in bally game maker please help
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
Heres a pic

Offline Jhvygr2

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
Cash can

Offline Jhvygr2

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:13:42 PM »
My settings

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
The dipswitches on the DBV-200 are normally all set to OFF from what I remember. Below is a page from the JCM booklet covering the DBV-200. But different software versions in the DBV-200 eprom can redefine what the dipswitches control, so they say it is best to refer to the SIS document (software information sheet) for the particular software in the eprom to know for sure what the dipswitches do. Unfortunately the label on your eprom just says it is version "2.60", there are several different 2.60 versions, they each have a suffix such as "2.60-04" to identify them. So I don't know which software version is actually in your eprom. If you have an eprom burner you can use it to read the eprom, that will give you its checksum, that is another way to identify it.

Since your DBV-200 is pulling in the bills and transferring them into the cash box without giving credits to the machine it makes me think the DBV might be in test mode. Try setting all of the dipswitches to OFF (if they aren't already). Also, whenever you are troubleshooting a DBV problem it is best to only use $1 bills. That way you don't have to also worry which US bills your DBV eprom software is capable of recognizing. The bills we use now have changed design significantly from back when the DBV software was released, except for the $1 bill.

I think there are some folks here with the Bally Game Maker machine. Maybe one of them can check their DBV-200 and confirm what the dipswitch settings should be. Was this DBV-200 in the machine when you got it, or did you add it later? Can the person you got the machine from help in any way, like tell you if the DBV ever worked or anything about it?

Below is the page from the JCM DBV-200 booklet showing the dipswitch settings. Also attached is one of the SIS documents for ver 2.60-04 software for DBV-200, ID-044/045W comm protocol.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:32:42 PM »
The first thing we do when we get one into the shop is to jumper the bill stacker door switch and remove the stacker. Then, underneath we jumper the stacker detect switch.
That seemed to solve a lot of BV mystery problems.
Leave the bill stacker out and let  the bills fall into the empty stacker hole.
Another thought is it could be the bill transport module could be bad. It has 3 optics in it that detect the bill moving and the bill falling into the stacker.
If, lets say the optic on the end of the sequence is bad, or dirty, then the bill would not be detected as received and not tell the MCU to issue credits.
But the bill would still make it to the stacker.
I have had to replace this optic on 3 different occasions and it solved the problem.
Even went so far to build a tester that I could plug a unit into and watch LED's turn on and off that indicated the related optic was working. A dim LED told me that was the optic was weak and bad.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Jhvygr2

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Rokgpsman thanks for the pic and all the info. I am primarily using $1 bills for testing the bv just to be sure is not a bill it doesnt "recognize". I am currently running thr dbv with all dip switches off and it doesnt seem to make a difference either way. Its just seems as though the dbv is not communicating with the machine so at the moment I am going through and tripple checking wires again.

Badbaud hey thanks for the info too. As far as jumping the door switch which color wires do I jump together? I just want to make sure I do it the right way lol.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »
There should be only 2 wires per switch, been a while.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:07:23 AM »
With the DBV-200 pulling in the bill and transferring it to the cash box/cash compartment that makes me think it is working ok. The DBV sends info over the comm bus to the machine mpu board telling it to add the credits for the money it accepted. But if the comm protocol is not the same or it is disconnected then no communication will happen. I'm thinking that Bally uses the -044/045 ID protocol but I'm not that familiar with the Game Maker model, maybe you should make sure about that. Also, do you have another machine that you can try swapping the DBV-200 around to see what happens? Was this DBV-200 working at one time in this machine?

Each security switch that Badbaud referred to will only have 2 wires. The ends of those 2 wires can be disconnected from the security switch and twisted together for machines in home use and that will eliminate the possibility of a flaky or bad switch connection. Use a wire nut (or electricians tape) to make sure the twisted together wires don't touch the metal chassis.

You showed a photo of the software label on the top of the DBV-200, but what about the label on top of the eprom on the bottom of the DBV, can you post a photo of it?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal