New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Coils  (Read 2000 times)

Offline coincard

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • coincard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Coils
« on: December 27, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
Does anyone know if the higher the number on a coil the more pull it has when its activated or is it the lower the number the better the pull, like a 23-950 does it have more or less pull than say a 28-1600 ? The coin step up unit in my 831 does not have enough pull to advance the unit a full step when power is supplied to it. The coil still reacts but not with enough power, is it possible that coil is still bad even though it still pulls in under power?

I have tried to loosen the wind spring but then when the reset coil kicks in it is slow at resetting, any advice?

Dave

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Coils
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
I think lower coil numbers will give a stronger coil.

The way I understand it the first number relates to the size of the wire (diameter or gauge) and the second number is the number of turns that are in the winding. When comparing wire gauge the smaller the number the larger the wire diameter is. Larger wire has less resistance so that lets more amps flow, stronger magnetic field. Shorter length of wire (less turns in winding) has less resistance so more amps flow, stronger magnetic field. But if you select a coil with too low resistance the wire will burn up from excessive amps flowing thru it. So be careful about substituting a coil in place of the original, don't go too far from the original spec. A substitute coil with half the number of turns will allow twice the amps (assuming the wire gauge is the same).

If the coil in your machine is the correct one and it is weak you may simply have a dirty set of contacts on the switch that activates the coil. Arcing over the years can corrode or coat the switch contacts, they may need burnishing or cleaning, or the switch replaced. It doesn't take much crud on a set of contacts to have an impact. You can test for this by temporarily jumpering around the switch contacts, see if the coil then snaps much stronger.

Here's an explanation of how coils work, page down to Chapter 3, step L at the link below for more info.

----------------------------------
Coils Power Explained.
A coil's strength is basically determined by three things: the voltage to the coil, the number of turns of wire, and the gauge (thickness) of the wire. Since the voltage usually cannot be changed in a game (other than putting the game on "high tap"), only the number of turns and/or wire gauge can be changed. Here's what to remember:

The higher the voltage feed to the coil, the more powerful it will be.
The lower the resistance of a coil, the more powerful it will be.*
The less turns of wire, the lower the resistance, and the more powerful the coil.*
The thicker the gauge of the wire, the less resistance, and the more powerful the coil.*
* If coil resistance is too low (about 2 ohms or less), a coil stops having magnetic strength and starts becoming a dead short.

---------------------------------
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#low
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:14:38 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
Thank you for the information, I do not think the coil is the original coil, the reset coil was burnt up and I think it may have had something to do with the step up coil. I have tested it directly by putting 50 volts to it and it does not pull in all the way unless you help it while it is under a load...

Dave

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
If you can post a photo of the machine or tell us what the model number/name is maybe one of the guys familiar with that model can say for sure what coil p/n should be in that location. Or you might be able to find the coil listed in the manual for your machine. Also, post a photo of the coil and the mechanical assembly where it is mounted. Someone here likely has worked on a machine like yours and may know what the coil p/n should be.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »
Inspect the linkage for any binding, wore out parts or hardened lubricant.

Check the plunger and interior of the coil for dirt and grime.
Rotate the mechanism to see if it moves freely. Do this by disengaging the reset mechanism and manually rotating the unit.
If you have a spare transformer apply the required 48-54 volts to the coil.
Do this with caution with the machine turned off.

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:30 PM »
David,

I will post some pics in a day or so, the holidays and the flu and 3 degree weather have kept me from going out to my shop, but I am feeling better so will be back at it soon, many thanks...

Dave

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
Sorry for the delay in this post, it has been crazy around here, I have had the flu twice and My sisters House burned to the ground the first of the month, on her birthday no less, so its been a terrible month so far....

Ok, I originally stated that I was working on an 831 but I was not, I am working on a Bally Las Vegas 3 from hell, it was the former home to a large family of mice and from the looks of it they were there for quit a while. I am working on the upper feature unit which you can see in the photo that everywhere the mice peed was rusted , after disassembling it all I sand blasted the frames and painted them and reassembled the unit.

the step up unit was frozen tighter that a bully frogs behind, after completely breaking it down and cleaning the rust and lubing everything i find that the unit will step just fine but it will not reset, I adjusted the spring and still no luck, the coil wants to reset it but it just is too hard for the coil to do it, after breaking it down again I find that the nylon gear assembly is very tight in the shaft that it rides in, it is hard to move by hand with no springs or anything attached, it looks like the gear shaft may have swelled some over the years and does not spin freely in the shaft, has anyone encountered this before ? and what is the remedy ?

Thanks for your input....

Dave
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:36:42 AM by coincard »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »
For all of you EM techs I am just getting our website populated with EM parts and pieces.
Please browse the site and give me some pointers please.
www.slotmachinerepair.com
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
I have had to take the nylon gear out and lightly sand the shaft. You might want the clean the inside bushing that the shafts spins on too.. It's possible that just a good cleaning will allow the nylon gear to spin freely too without any sanding...
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
Thanks Gary,

I ended up taking my dremel and sanding it down quit a bit around the base end which seems to have swelled over the years, it now spins nicely and the coils do there job without much effort. Everything advances and snaps back quickly like it should.

There might be a lesson here, if your stepper does not reset or advance properly it may very well be the fact that the shaft has swelled and is causing heavy drag, If after adjusting your spring it still moves sluggish you might want to check the shaft and see if it spins freely, if not see above.....

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
Glad to help. I might have to do this to a game I just picked up. I noticed that I have one sluggish. Hopefully cleaning will fix mine.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 04:48:34 AM »
All is well that ends well.  I am glad that the solution was NOT the coil itself.  The original Bally Engineers were evil geniuses and it is amazing how much play and how little tolerance is required to make these beasts work.  I suspected binding but was not sure where and I did not want to send you away from the problem.  I had a similar issue in the Continental from Hell.  AFTER changing the coil and having the same problem I took a closer look and all things that made contact with each other and located the problem.  BOY am I glad that that game is gone!

Stay well all
Ra

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 06:43:12 AM »
Thanks Gary, Ra and everyone who replied to this post, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help, many thanks....

Dave

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal