New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 3902 high-pitched hum and game resetting  (Read 2990 times)

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
3902 high-pitched hum and game resetting
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »
Hi!

My IGT Triple Play/Five Play 3902 board has a high-pitched hum during the main game screen that sometimes causes the machine to cycle the power—it'll shut off and initialize the system again. However, when I'm on a screen that's not as bright, like a diagnostic screen, the hum volume lowers and is unlikely to reset to machine.

When I return to the game screen, the hum noise increases again. What could be causing this? The brightness has no effect, as the hum is still there even when the monitor is completely dark. I also checked the motherboard chips to ensure they're seated properly (though I didn't check the chips under the multimedia lite sound board).

Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/nGdzfdT6ba0

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: 3902 high-pitched hum and game resetting
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »
Does your game have the old style tube monitor or LCD? If your not using the MMII board try removing it to see if the noise stops. You could have a power supply going bad too.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:23 AM »
Thanks Amechanic!

I have a CRT (with a new, working flyback!).

The multimedia lite board was my other question: it has only one sound EPROM in it, and not one of the plug-and-play chip boards. The menu has a sound test for digitized sounds, but there are no sounds to play. Should there be digitized sounds on Triple Play/Five Play?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
I'm wondering if you have more wrong with your CRT Chassis. Flyback usually don't just go bad. You could have weak or bad caps, video amp IC, something causing the noise. You need to open your game and try to  isolate where the noise is coming from.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
If it uses SWC00046 EPROMs for sound there should be two of them.  You can play it without any sound card installed and all the standard poker tones will work though.

I'd check the +13v and +25v outputs on the power supply too.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
I'm wondering if you have more wrong with your CRT Chassis. Flyback usually don't just go bad. You could have weak or bad caps, video amp IC, something causing the noise. You need to open your game and try to  isolate where the noise is coming from.

It's not the flyback—that issue has been resolved.

I swapped out a 3902 board (Neon Nights) that worked fine, never reset the machine.

Now that I think about it, when I was using a Game King board, I was getting restarts.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
If it uses SWC00046 EPROMs for sound there should be two of them.  You can play it without any sound card installed and all the standard poker tones will work though.

I'd check the +13v and +25v outputs on the power supply too.

Thanks Tilt.

I'll check what it's like without the sound card.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 11:36:49 AM »
OK, I removed the Multimedia Lite board. The humming stopped for a little while, then returned. However, the game never reset after that—so at least that's a good thing.

I decided to swap Neon Nights back into the machine, and it seems the high-pitched humming comes and goes, so likely the problem isn't specific to that game?

I made a video of Attract Mode for Neon Nights: https://youtu.be/nqH_v_Z3FzM

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
When you say swap to Neon Nights do you mean you changed the game software on the MPU board or used a different MPU board with Neon Nights on it?  If it's the same MPU board then it could be the problem, but I'd check the power supply voltages first.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 03:46:12 PM »
When you say swap to Neon Nights do you mean you changed the game software on the MPU board or used a different MPU board with Neon Nights on it?  If it's the same MPU board then it could be the problem, but I'd check the power supply voltages first.

Oh sorry. I used a different MPU board. Different trays.

It'll take some time before I can check the voltages, but I'll report back when I do!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:01 PM »
That would eliminate the MPU the as the cause then.  Yeah, check the +13 and +25 VDC outputs and see what you get.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
In a different thread, I posted that I was having the same problem with the game resetting.

I'm nearly positive that the Multimedia Lite sound board causes the problem!

In both MPUs, Triple Play/Five Play poker and G0001777, when I removed the sound board, the resetting stopped!

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »
Problem NOT solved!

I let my game run for awhile without the Multimedia Lite sound board, and eventually the high-pitched hum returned, then I got power cycling again. :fryingpan:

So, I think it's the MPU board in general that causes the resetting. I put back in the original MPU, and it has not power cycled. It's just some MPUs that cause it. Others work fine.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »
Another clue. It seems like the high-pitched hum is at its loudest when the front button lights are on. It's less loud when the CASH OUT and BET ONE lights are off. The hum goes away when on the diagnostic screen because all the lights are out.

This humming is more prominent on some MPUs than others, but only two of my games cause resetting and power cycling.

I know—I should test the power supply voltage. I'll need to enlist some help on doing that!

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
smoothgrh,   your pm box is full       Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 01:01:23 AM »
OK, I bought another 3902 MPU, and removed the Triple Play/Five Play chips from the old MPU and put them into the one I just got.

When I first turned on my Game King, it power-cycled a bunch of times, so I turned it off. I noticed that right before it reset the final time when I turned it off, it briefly flashed the "System Initializing" screen.

So I thought, "if I just let it restart a bunch of times, will it eventually get to the game screen?" So I turned it back on and let it power cycle a bunch of times like before, but it eventually did load the game. I played it, and it was fine. And no high-pitched humming!

Later, I turned it off, and then turned it back on. It loaded immediately—no problem!

So maybe the MPU is wonky? Or could the chips be wonky? It's a Frankensteined set. The GME chips are copies, the PXL chips are from IL, and the CG2 chips are from MS.

I'll try putting a different game into the old MPU, and see what it does.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 11:20:08 AM »
Another update:

This morning the power cycling returned upon startup. However, after the game started, it stayed on—no more power cycling. It seems like it needs to "warm up" before it'll work. And no more high-pitched hum: https://youtu.be/4S7SHv9auHo

I put a different slot game into the MPU that came with Triple Play/Five Play, and there's a slight hum, but not anywhere close to the original hum: https://youtu.be/1ZauSPMaxR4

My latest guess is that the power cycling is because of the game chips, and the high-pitched hum is a combination of the MPU and that Frankensteined set of chips.

I hope my thread can help someone—though I don't wish this situation upon anyone!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »
Two words.  Power Supply.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 02:17:05 PM »
Two words.  Power Supply.

Tilt,

Haven't you got the hint? I'm avoiding the task of changing the power supply!  :fryingpan:

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 02:23:04 PM »
But seriously, this power cycling issue happens only with two specific game sets.

I'll keep collecting observations while I avoid changing the power supply.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal