New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help a newbie? IGT S+ troubleshooting question.....  (Read 4838 times)

Offline DCRocks1

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • DCRocks1 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Help a newbie? IGT S+ troubleshooting question.....
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
So I recently acquired 2 IGT S+ machines, a working RWB, and a 5x Pay that the previous owner believes he fried the main board sottering on a new battery.

I replaced the board without much issue, swapped the chips as appropriate, and am getting the 61 error code loop. Followed all the steps I could find out here, checked bill validator, etc.  Even tried swapping the chips over to the known good board I have in the RWB machine, and got the same thing.

I ordered, but have not used (yet), the RAM CLEAR/SET chips.  Anything else anyone can recommend? I like to think I'm fairly CPU savvy (sys admin/net engr) but always up for learning!

Any and all advice much appreciated....especially before adding my next slot in Feb!

DCRocks1

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Help a newbie? IGT S+ troubleshooting question.....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Welcome to NLG!

Are you confident that the door optics are aligned and working properly? You probably know, but when you shut the door you also have to latch it by pressing down on the door latch post. This moves the locking bar down to secure the door and also moves the door optics into alignment.

Since you have a good working S+ you should be able to prove that the replacement mpu is working ok by putting it in the working machine.

The SET chip is ordinarily only needed if you use a CLEAR chip on a machine that has a bill validator.

Also, was the replacement mpu the same model board (10mhz or 16mhz) as the old board that it replaced? Some SP & SS (game and reel) chips are only compatible with one board or the other, not both. What are your SS and SP chip numbers (check the label on top of chips)? The 10mhz mpu has a round blue volume control, the 16mhz mpu does not. This may not be related to your current problem but something to be aware of when swapping chips from one board to another.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

As far as I can tell, optics are lined up! If the doors are not fully latched, the display on the  winner paid is dim. If fully engaged, it's bright.
Checked the mpu (old & replacement) on the 5x, and both are 10mhz. Also checked the one on the RWB, also a 10mhz.

Tried tonight to swap the known good board of the RWB back into the 5x with the 5x game and reel chips (left the CMOS of the known good board). Same thing happened. After jackpot key, goes back to the 61.
Tried the full RWB board (known good) with RWB game and reel chips in the 5x cabinet, got the same 61 error.
Tried the new 5x board, with the 5x chips in the RWB cabinet, worked fine.
so must be something physical on the cabinet for the 5x?
Have checked Bill validator and reseated, coin comparator mechanism, coin receptacle and hopper.

THis is a bar-crest(?) slant-top machine......
Really appreciate all the help! This forum is AWESOME for a tech geek like me!!!!!!

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »
Can you  post  some  pics of outside and inside of your machine?

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »
There are some S+ Barcrest machines, but not with IGT themes like Red White and Blue or 5 Times Pay.  Pictures will help.

As far as the 61 loop, just to clarify, if you're getting a 61, pressing and holding the self test button for about five seconds until it turns to a 61-1 error, and then closing the door and turning the jackpot reset key, and it loops back to 61?  That's the 61 loop, and the RAM clear chip will do the trick for you.  Directions for the clear chip are found here: http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=16134.0
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »
Sorry if I mis-spoke on the barcrest.....that's what previous owner told me.

As far as the 61 loop, yes that's what happens...however, when I put the mpu from the RWB machine into the 5x with the RWB chips on it, the same thing happened. If it was a RAM error, wouldn't that go away with the board/CMOS swap? Or is there other RAM in the cabinet itself that I am missing?

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
Don't concern yourself with any other issue other than clearing the 61 loop.  the set chip is good for only thing, to enable the bill unit and set the denomination.  the clear chip will clear the small e-squared chip on the motherboard, if you can never clear the 61 loop chances are that chip is defective.

until you clear the 61 loop nothing on the machine will work.  sometimes you may be able to enter the self test mode and check the condition of the machine.

hope this helps

where are you located?

Jim   

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »
I don't have one but I remember something about that bottom door has to be all the way in correctly for the machine to be able to "see" the door as closed on the Slant Tops.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
Sorry if I mis-spoke on the barcrest.....that's what previous owner told me.

As far as the 61 loop, yes that's what happens...however, when I put the mpu from the RWB machine into the 5x with the RWB chips on it, the same thing happened. If it was a RAM error, wouldn't that go away with the board/CMOS swap? Or is there other RAM in the cabinet itself that I am missing?

When you swap the mpu and the 2 game chips (marked "Reel" and "Game" on the board) around you aren't also removing the cmos ram chip too, are you? If not then the cmos ram stays on the board and is kept intact by the battery. So it's contents isn't changing. If it is corrupted that's what the CLEAR chip is for. Normally you don't remove the cmos ram chip.

From your photo I think your machine is what everyone calls an "S+ slant top".
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the replays...really appreciate all the help!

Jim....Grove City...SW of Columbus

rokgpsman.....I've tried leaving the CMOS in place, and also tried swapping it just in case it was possibly a bad chip.  Either way, I confirmed the 5x board/chipset are good by placing them in the chassis of the RWB and everything came up fine, hence why I am wondering if it's a physical issue on the cabinet/enclosure.

Does anyone have any good tips on checking alignment for the door closure optics on a slant-top? can't really reach them with the top closed, so I can't be 100% sure they didn't slip when moving the machine.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
As mentioned earlier you always want to make sure the door optics are working since they can be a cause of the 61 error. I think some machines use a "Cherry" switch instead of door optics (not entirely sure about this).

If you plan to keep this machine (and possibly get other S+ machines) it will be handy to have a CLEAR chip in case you ever need it, which might be now. The CLEAR chip is sold alone or with a SET chip, get both of them if you plan to use the bill validator. The CLEAR wipes and resets the machines cmos ram, puts all settings back to a default condition, including disabling the bill validator. The SET chip is then used to enable the bill validator, if desired, but not required.

After doing a CLEAR you have to go into the TEST menu and change some things so the machine will do what you want, not overly difficult but can be a pain if you haven't gone thru it before.

But the CLEAR won't fix things if your door optics are not working. Also, on a slant top there are extra security switches on the doors and panels and top lid, any of which can cause an "open door" problem. So look over the machine carefully and find the various security switches, see if they are getting activated when the machine is closed up.

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 10:13:07 AM »
I've already ordered clear and set chips as a "just in case". Expecting it to arrive any day.

I can see an optic on the main latch to the slant top, that's the one that's nearly impossible to get to with the lid closed. Pressure switch on the door to the bill validator and it's good.

I've looked over all the doors just to be sure and dont' see any other security switches, just the physical latches to lock things in place, but no wiring to any of them.  Talked to previous owner again and he said everything worked perfectly until he goofed up sottering the battery on. Good guy so I can't imagine he's BSing me......

I'll keep looking the chassis over and see if I'm missing anything.......

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »
At the bottom of the  cabinet, the access door with the lock, is there a magnetic switch? If there is a switch down there , there will be wires going to that door. Bypass it.

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 06:01:30 PM »
no wires/switches on the bottom cabinet of the unit. just runner holes for power cord.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »
What about a security switch at the back of the cash can? Or your machine may use an optic sensor for the cash can security, the optic sensor tx is on one side of the cash can, the optic receiver is on the other side. I think S+ machines always had some kind of security sensing on the cash can, to make sure it was installed and to record when it was removed.

If the machine worked ok before it was moved then think back to whatever you might have removed for cleaning, examination, etc once you got it to your place. Look for any loose wires that did go to security switches. If they have been disconnected they should be twisted together if they once were on a security switch, that's how the security switch bypass is done. But that won't work on optic parts, just switches.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »
If the 61-1 is going blank and then changing back to 61 when you turn the jackpot reset key with the door closed, which you said it is, your door optics are fine. If the machine wasn't detecting the door as closed, the 61-1 would never go away.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline slots4home

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
I would double check what Shaggy said in earlier post.
Be sure the door latch that holds the door shut is slid over ( when you slide over you cannot pull the latch open to open the door.
When that latch is open the door does not close all the way and the optics do not meet up for proper connection

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »
At this point I think it has to be the optics, either on the main door, or the cash box on the bill validator. Can anybody recommend how to short/bypass either? I would assume just disconnecting won't do it since the logic to check for them exists......

I've traced every wire in the box, reseated everything I can reseat, dusted and cleaned.

Also checked the door latches, all look to be in the right places.......

Only thing I can think of at this point is optics alignment, but impossible to check those with doors closed.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Can you confirm that turning the jackpot reset key does cause the error 61-1 display to dim/blink/blank out for a second and change to 61 only, as mentioned in reply#15 above by knagl? This is done with the machine lid closed and latched. That is a definite indication, one way or the other. If this isn't happening then doing a CLEAR process is probably the next step.

Offline DCRocks1

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »
Confirmed. 61-1 display, press self test button, get the chime, turn jackpot key, display blanks, site idle for about 3 secs, 61 comes up in display.

Guess I'm still not understanding something.....wouldn't the clear condition have been cleared by the presence of new board/CMOS, or would it be somehow retained in the GAME/REEL chips that were transferred to the new board? Also got the same condition when using the known good MPU from the RWB machine, with the RWB chips......and the 5x board worked fine in the RWB chassis.

Also, machine does have a cherry switch behind door for Bill Validator. all wiring there looks good as well.

UPDATE: One other piece of info....when I cycle the machine, the reels don't even attempt to spin at all when it tries to boot. When I go through the steps from 61-1 to 61, the reels never move either? Is that expected when it's in a 61 loop, or is that indicative of another issue?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:21:49 PM by DCRocks1 »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal