New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT Game King with pixelated screen  (Read 1897 times)

Offline modessitt

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • modessitt New User has no influence.
  • NLG
IGT Game King with pixelated screen
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
Someone told me this waa caused by a dead battery, and the battery is dead. I'll replace it,  but will I need to clear it afterwards?  And with what chip? I read somewhere about removing the game PROM at position 10 for the clear, but I've never had to do one on a Game King.

If anyone has info and instructions, I'd appreciate it.

I can get pics of the board if more info is needed.

- Steve -

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: IGT Game King with pixelated screen
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
You get the gray pixelated screen because the MPU isn't booting the game software.  That's not usually caused by a dead battery but it needs to be replaced anyhow so give it a try.

You will probably want a keychip so you can set protected game options when you get it running again.  You can get it operational again without one though.  The MPU board and game software determine which key you need.  Post pics of the MPU board and a picture of the inside of the machine as well and we can help you figure it out.

Sometimes you can fix the problem by pulling/re-seating the game EPROMs and clean/re-seat simm card contacts.  If that doesn't correct it then more than likely the MPU board or the power supply is bad.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:38:05 PM »
 Here's a pic. Looks like a 4.0.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »
Yep, GK 4.0.  Key 17 is the key it uses.  You have an older 3802 MPU board, it doesn't support flash SIMM boards.  Do you have a picture of the interior of the cabinet?  I suspect it's an older GK primarily because it had a 3802 board in it, but with a picture I can tell for sure.  The first thing I'd check is the power supply output voltages.  Do you have a multimeter?

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Yes, but I don't have cab with me. I was initially called out for 2 S+ machines with dead battery codes that I replaced batteries on and reset. I wasn't told about the GK and didn't have another battery with me. Game was upstairs so I just grabbed the board to replace the battery at the shop and research the issue. I don't see GK's very often as when I do it's typically coin issues.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
Ok.  I was going to post a wiring diagram so you know where to check the voltages at, but want to make sure I post the correct one for the cabinet you have.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
I won't be there until Wednesday, and by then it'll be too late.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:22 PM »
Can the owner take a picture for you?

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »
Maybe. He's an old guy. I'll ask.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
Couldn't get a pic.

Anyone know if the KEY17 chip used on the S2000's is the same KEY17 chip used on these?

And are the instructions on using it the same as the instructions on using a KEY22 or KEY40?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
Yes, it's the same key.  Two LEDs will light on the MPU board.  When they do power it off and replace the base chip.  You don't get an onscreen menu like Key 22 or 40.

Here's a diagram for an older GK cabinet.  Check the +13 and +25VDC voltages at J11 on the motherboard and see what you get. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal