New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: What is The Best Value Multi Game?  (Read 5705 times)

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
What is The Best Value Multi Game?
« on: June 15, 2017, 12:43:30 AM »
Greetings Group:

I have been on NLG for about a decade now but I have never posted in this forum.  I have several Electro Mechanical slot machines and I want to add a multi game arcade to my gameroom.  My slots are in pretty good shape for their age of over 30 years so I dont want to buy a piece of junk to sit in the middle of them.  My favorite game is Defender from my youth.  I also like Galaga and Space Invaders.  To get the machine in the house I would like it to have Pac Man on it for my wife.  :talktothehand:   I contacted a very nice seller at a company called arcadeclassics.com.  This is when I learned about vertical and horizontal screen orientation and that never the two shall meet.  I was also warned about computer generator games that lacked the "real feel"  control and cheap monitors. 

What should I do?  Where should I look?  What should I pay? 

Any advice would be helpful.

Picture of part of the game room attached.

Thanks so much
Ra

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Re: What is The Best Value Multi Game?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
build your own  cpu are cheap under 50 bucks

Offline RiseLikeRa

• RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
I dont have the skill to do that.  I wish I did.  Then I would have to find the time.   No.  I am simply appealing to the wisdom of this forum, which I hope is the right one for my question, for some direction.  Once I get a lead I will take it from there.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Wow!

Over 80 reviews and only 1 reply!  I was told that each one of these forums have different energy. 
For those who looked.  Thanks

Ra

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »
Hi Ra,

I've finally ventured over to the arcade game section of NLG!

I know only a little bit about your question.

By "multi-game," I assume you mean arcade games from a variety of manufacturers? In other words, a machine with Pac-Man (Namco), Centipede (Atari), Elevator Action (Taito) and more. If so, you probably want a MAME emulator machine. But beware—my brother bought one from a local company, and it's not so good—it freezes, has to reboot, and sometimes needs tech help. It's basically a Windows PC computer hooked up to a control panel and monitor.

There are a lot of companies out there that sell a nice-looking cabinet with a limited number of games, such as only Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga. Perhaps those are more reliable, but they're pricey. Hopefully someone who owns one can provide a review for you.

I wish I can help you more with this topic. Good luck!

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:26 PM »
Ra, it really depends on the look you are going for.  The vintage arcade games like pacman, defender, donkey kong, galaga, etc can easily run on a raspberry pie.  One of my current projects is to take an X-Arcade joystick, use a raspberry pi 3 and hook it up to a wall mounted tv, voila, instant vintage arcade machine.

OR

You could just buy a finished product, plug and play type.  The monitors nowadays are so big, that vertical games would be fine.  Obviously having a setup for vertical games and one for horizontal games would give you maximum impact, but really, you don't need it.  The games will play "letterboxed" with black areas on either side of the screen.  Remember all these vintage games have a 4:3 aspect ratio, while most modern monitors are 16:9, unless of course you get a 4:3 monitor to use with your games.  But think about it, if you have a wall mounted TV, like a 55 inch or so, all you would need is an X-Arcade type controller resting on a table with a raspberry pi running the mame emulator with whichever games you want.  Then you could use the TV for both, watching TV or playing arcade classics.  I will setup my project as it is so you can get an idea. 

Here's a completed product, plug and play, but they get pricey.

https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-machines/products/x-arcade-machine-cabinet-with-250-arcade-classics

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:30:24 AM »
Thank you guys so much for your replies.   My hopes for finding the game that I want in 1 cabinet has all but faded.  One of the main issues is the vertical vs horizontal situation.  The game that I played EVERYDAY as a teenager is Defender.  I loved it. That is a horizontal game.  My wife liked Pac Man and Space Invader, a vertical game.  Now I enjoyed Space Invaders and Galaga also but they were not reason that I missed classes on occasion.

There is a company called Arcade Classics that make a VERY nice one or the other game.  At the NY State Fair there was a rep for a company called ownyourownarcadegame.com, Very nice game but again I would have to make the choice.  For an average of $2000, which I would be willing to pay, I dont this that I should get only half of what I want.  NOW Smooth warns me about the glitches.  Yikes.  Rick I checked out the link that you posted.  No defender on the list.  Beautiful game. Truth be told I dont need 2 or 3 hundred "filler" games to make me happy.  Who the hell ever played some of these titles any way?  I just need 4 or 5 popular games that work properly. 

With space VERY limited in the game room I think that I will focus on getting an early upright Roulette gambling machine if one exists.  I will sell 1 or maybe even 2 of my Bally Electro Mechanical slots to make space.  The Games of Nevada Auto Roulette came close but was just too big.   

They say the HUNT for these old games is the best part but I enjoy the capture and the playing more.  lol

Enjoy your weekend guys and thanks again.

Ra

Offline Irish2020

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Irish2020 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
Ra,  Don't give up.  The machine you are looking for is out there.  I use to build these on a regular basis about 5 years ago.  With my real job and passion for slot machines, I just dont mess with them anymore.  To accomplish what you want, I would have started with an old arcade.  Remove the game board and stall a older PC running windows XP.  Then install the needed software and all the game Roms.  There are over 10k games.  Basically every arcade you can think of is available if you search right places.  You would need to purchase the converter to connect the arc joysticks, track ball, and buttons to the PC.  Since your using the Roms, and the original CRT from an older arcade, the game experience original and you won't be able to tell that it is not the original game. I have built many of these over the years and they sell for around $2000 to $3000 depending on how fancy you want the finish product to look.

Here are a few pics of the last machine I built 5 years ago.

Hope this info helps, dont give up.
Jon

Offline Irish2020

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • Irish2020 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:41 AM »
Here is another pic.

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
I've always wanted one myself, and I would want a track ball. There are a few games that are almost impossible to play with only a joy stick. The game that come right to mind is Marble Madness. Crazy game where you had to run a marble thru a maze, over jumps to a finish line before the time ran out. The track ball helped with changing directions quickly.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Harvs

• Think!, While it's still legal...
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »
I built up a Jamma cab.

You can find a Dynamo HS5 cabinet with or without game for usually $2-$300 with a nice 25" monitor, then can grab a Pandoras Box or similar (650 games+, there are horizontal or vertical versions with tons of different games on them) for $80-$120 and all you would need to do is the art for the game or buy a premade art package for the Dynamo cabinet. - I have yet to do Ghouls n Ghosts art for mine. Great game!

Here's where I bought my Pandora:
https://www.highscoresaves.com/pcbs/multigame-pcbs.html

I do like MAME too and have one. This Jamma is a bit more user friendly and still has the classics on it that everyone plays anywho...

:cool_thumb_up:

*Edit- Look on KLOV for machines, always a few that are local.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:49:29 PM by Harvs »

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »
I don't like sounding stupid  :duh:  but what's KLOV??
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »
Arcade forum. Killer List Of Video games.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »

Thanks.. I'll have to check it out.  :hail:
And remember...

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »

Thanks.. I'll have to check it out.  :hail:
I've snagged some rare machines somewhat local to me on there. APB in MI was a score for sure!

- Check it out!

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 01:11:55 AM »
Jon:

I had told my wife that I had given up the search for the multi game.  She just smiled and did not say a word. (woman psychology) As I was reading your post and looking at the pictures of that beautiful game you built she happened to walk past the computer.  She said "hey I thought that you called it quits on trying to find another big ass toy"  I just smiled and did not say a word.  (man psychology)

Its not the first time NLG has gotten me in trouble and I am sure that it wont be the last. 

Have a great day guys.  The leaves are falling here in NY.  Snow blower time soon.

Ra

Offline Ryengoth

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Ryengoth New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 02:12:53 PM »
  I'm going to be building a table system this fall using a 60-in-1 JAMMA board, a cheapo LCD and cheap joystick controls. I'll be posting video content on my YouTube channel as the build progresses. It's actually pretty easy(and inexpensive) to put one of these together yourself. If all goes well I will consider putting a DIY table kit together with a wiring harness and cabinet components. You'd have to do the finishing on it (laminate, carpet, whatever). I'll be posting info on this forum as well before and during the project.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Thanks so much.   Sounds exciting. Please keep me posted.

Ra

Offline Ryengoth

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Ryengoth New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
Will do! I just did a monitor swap on a friend's stand-up Williams cabinet that had a Jamma swap in it. So much fun! I could never decide what I wanted to play.. Dig-Dug, Ms PacMan, Frogger, Galaga, ahhhh! If you want to make it coin-op it's really easy, just need the switch assembly and bezel. Can find complete coin doors on eBay which make it even easier to install. I will probably put a coin door on mine and make the kids pay to play, just like the Coke machine I traded for and repaired. They have to buy their sodas for $.50 or do something special for me to open the door and let them grab a couple.  :24:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal