New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Battery Replacement -Does it cause loss of programming  (Read 770 times)

Offline Piney

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Piney New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Battery Replacement -Does it cause loss of programming
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
New addition-- haven't a clue as to the battery age so thought I'd replace it .  Does removing it cause a reprogramming session to be arranged ? Im not concerned about the statistics-- just the setup programming.

Offline slots4home

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!
  • NLG
Re: Battery Replacement -Does it cause loss of programming
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
Yes you have to reprogram it.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
If you have a meter you can measure the battery voltage without removing it. It may still be good and nothing to worry about at this time. I think if it is somewhere around 2.8 volts or higher you are ok. I've heard of people adding a new battery in parallel with the old one by wrapping the new leads around the old leads close to the board, solder if possible, but if not just wrap the leads a turn or two to make a solid connection. Then snip out the old battery. This way the voltage is never removed.  Obviously this won't work if the battery is in a battery holder.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
I just changed one in my S+ Triple Diamond machine about a week ago. It was at 2.82v and was giving me the 12 error. I did not remove the battery or turn the reset key or anything, just let it set until the new battery came in.
The CMOS memory chip has a small capacitor in it that will hold the settings for about 45 minutes with the battery removed, if the battery is not already dead. It only takes about 5 minutes or less to change the battery if everything is ready. I changed mine out and reinstalled the board. Now I did not get the 61 error but the 12 error came back on. I pushed the test button through the option pages until the displays went blank. Shut and latched the door, it did the maiden spin, the displays came on and the insert coin lit up. It even saved the 2232 credits I had on the machine at the time of the error. I have been playing it ever since. If your battery is not dead but getting low and you feel like it is time to change it, you shouldn't have a problem. Mine worked perfectly.
Here is a post from Jay talking about the same thing. And the post it came from.

Dave

At this point - your machine is running. Don't touch the battery.
If your battery needs changing the machine will lock up and you will have a '12' in the winner paid area.
It means battery low. The batteries are soldered in and need replacing about every 12-14 years.
Considering that one of my machines was manufactured in 1994 and I replaced the battering in 2008 I got 24years out of mine.

The battery is there to keep the memory of the CMOS alive. This is the chip that has all the gaming history, settings for the machine etc.
The CMOS has a small capacitor built into the chip and it typically keeps its memory for 45min to an hour once the battery is removed.
So if you are efficient with a soldering iron you can replace the battery and you won't have issues.

If you have been ignoring your error 12 for a couple of months - its hit or miss if your chip has already lost its mind. Even with an error 12 your battery is not dead its just below the threashold voltage and has probably kept the CMOS healthy but the longer you leave it the more chance its dead. Other people remove the battery and then go shopping for a new one, find out the local homedepot doesn't stock these and then order one online.... and its been 3 weeks with out a battery etc....

If your battery has been dead and the CMOS has been wiped its possible that your machine won't recover after the new battery is put in (again hit or miss). This just means the format of the cmos is corrupted or missing. The Clear chip reformats this space and brings it back to factory defaults. After that you will need to reprogram reel sounds, hopper limits, credit limits and other settings. Again unless you are in some kind of funky state - running a clear should be avoided.
Jay

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=11984.msg64715#msg64715
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:28:08 PM by Shaggy »
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal