New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Mills escalator, and other problems.  (Read 4039 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Mills escalator, and other problems.
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:03:00 PM »
I've started working on the Mills Black Cherry I recently bought. After some fussing with it, I got it to cycle. But there's a problem with the escalator.
I hope this makes sense...
In order for the coin to go in fully... I have to manually advance the escalator to the left (from the back) which puts the first coin in line, in the coin tube. Then the coin dropped sits in the proper place... BUT the handle won't pull unless I press in that wire toward the bottom of the mechanism. And, once it cycles the escalator just stays put... it doesn't advance the next coin into the tube. Could it just be gummed up in the track? I did do a quick clean but didn't take it apart.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:20:04 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Re: Mills escalator, and other problems.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
I can't say what's wrong without looking at it. There are two bars behind the escalator. One is for the "check separator", the other is the coin sensor. Checks are sensed because they have a hole that the pin goes through. Assuming it's set up in the old manner, only checks go in the tube - nickels go somewhere else. The two vertical fingers resting on these bars are what releases the mech. When you pull the handle they try to go forward and move the bars. If there's a coin there, neither bar should move. If it's a check, one moves and the other won't.

The lever that advances the escalator comes up near the two sensing fingers. It's probably not connected properly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:20:26 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:36:51 PM »
Not sure what a "check" is. The machine takes nickles and, if I fill the escalator and manually advance it, they drop into the coin tube although somehow some do drop into the jackpot reservoir. But it won't advance and the handle won't pull even when a coin is lined up with the pin or finger is against it.
I can only find ONE post on the old site but it doesn't show enough detail in a working escalator for me to see.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:20:39 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 11:00:24 PM »
Sorry for my lack of the proper terms here! There's a wire "hook" at the bottom of the mechanism on the left side, if you're facing the back. Even if I manually advance a coin in, and have one at the "finger" point, I can't pull the handle and cycle the machine unless I press that wire hook inward. I see what it does internally but don't know what's causing it to hang up. I sure hope that made sense! I think I have two issues here... one with the escalator and one with the mechanism.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:20:50 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »
The escalator advance lever is the part marked 'N'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:21:01 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
Thank you.
I think my brain will wake up eventually, with regard to mechanical slots. :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:21:13 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 11:26:22 AM »
Have you tried to do a YouTube search on how one works?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:21:26 AM by shortrackskater »
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »
There's not a whole lot out there I've seen. I'll look again. And I have the book as well.
In the meantime, I found there was a missing spring for the escalator advance lever. I replaced it with a decent makeshift spring but the escalator still won't advance the nickles. So yes I'll be taking it out now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:21:35 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »
I did find a video on cleaning the escalator and I think that's where I will start. There is one sticky lever in there. I'm not sure if it's bent but after watching the video, I think I better disassemble and de-grease it and see what happens.
This is the video I watched. They added an AWFUL "video frame cropping" of some sort and it's annoying as hell but you just have to get used to it.
! No longer available
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:21:50 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
I have multiple issues. The escalator doesn't return smoothly and it also doesn't advance the coins all the time.
The other problem is that the machine won't cycle properly out of the case. I hold the lever to "fake out" the machine, and start the cycle. The reels spin (it pays out properly as well) but it won't release the handle lever point back to the start position. Also for some reason the fan stop lever doesn't let go of the fan during the cycle. I have to manually release it to complete the cycle, but when the mechanism is in the case, it's working properly. Maybe that's normal but in one of the videos, the man has to put a screwdriver in to keep the fan from moving on the initial "pull." On mine I have to use a screwdriver or my hand to "let go" of the fan.  :Scratch-Head:

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »
I'm wondering if you have a bent link or lever due to someone forcing the handle. It also could be that something is dry or sticky. You might have to do a complete tear down. Your reel mech should function the same in or out of the cabinet. Do you have a Mills manual?
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »
Yes I've got the book - I'd still like to figure out this issue before or if I completely tear it apart. This definitely is a dying hobby with very little out there on the internet. Maybe I will have to make some videos and put them out.  :propeller:
The handle returns when it's in the case, which is weird. I'm not sure what's different when out of the case.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »
Is the handle spring loaded?
And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
It has the plunger on the bottom, which seems to work fine. I think it was just my "force" level. It's working now, out of the case. I just wasn't giving it enough pressure. I'm using my hand and a rag. I should probably use a screwdriver or buy one of those cool outside the box handles.
I think my problems may all be in the escalator.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
The entire handle mechanism was loose, where it's mounted to the case. I tightened that and another problem is solved I think this machine must have been moved and banged around a lot.
Now back to the escalator.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
I have a Diamond Front Dime machine from around the same year as yours. I have the same problem with the handle mounting hardware coming loose. I have considered trying to use a little bit of lock tight to keep it from coming loose. I'm guessing that is and was a common problem.
And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
I've taken apart the escalator and found it was completely gummed up with old sticky oily crap. I cleaned it and have ordered new springs. I know this is 90% of my problem. I'll report back with pics when I re-assemble the escalator.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
I got the springs in, cleaned and re-assembled the escalator and have a 100% working slot machine. Well... I'm lying a bit: it does jam occasionally, but it plays longer each time. I'm thinking there just may be a metal burr or nick somewhere in one of the arms but so far it's played about 200 coins without a jam. I did a front clean up with auto cleaner/wax and just touched up the black sides with magic marker. The back door now has an original Mills lock and the inside cash box cover lock has a repo lock.
I may just leave it as it is, looking like a nice unrestored 1946 or 47 Black Cherry.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal