New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: PE+ Upright - Cannot get rid of DOOR OPEN  (Read 4948 times)

Offline dgalvin66

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • dgalvin66 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
PE+ Upright - Cannot get rid of DOOR OPEN
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »

I just finished getting my first machine working and now on to the other one.

It was working but now no matter what I try I keep getting Door Open and either EEPROM ERROR or CMOS ERROR. I have tried 3 sets of optics, held the pointed at each other & made a bypass test cable. None of this works. I have looked at them with a camera and do not see anything. Until I can get passed the Optics issue I cannot clear the other errors.

When the optics stopped working I also lost the Top & Belly lights.

I did find a place local that I can get parts for them at very reasonable prices, so if I need to replace some parts so be it.

I could really use some help on this one.

Thanks in advance
David

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: PE+ Upright - Cannot get rid of DOOR OPEN
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:08:05 PM »
Do you have a known working MPU board you can put in to troubleshoot (to see if the error stays with the machine, or if it moves with the MPU board)?
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 10:54:41 PM »

Stays with the machine. I took the MPU board from the other and tried it and got the same thing. But I expected to because it is synced to the mother board in the other machine. But because of the Door open issue I could not get past it. When I put the MPU board in the working machine everything was fine.
Like I said both the DOOR OPEN and the lights stopped working at the same time. Like something zapped/fried.

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:56:57 PM »
BTW I can hold the test button for about 10 seconds and get the beep so the button is working. I just cannot close the door and turn the reset key because of the DOOR OPEN.

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:56:28 AM »

I just checked the door optics with a multimeter. Here is what I see:
Cabinet side optic (Big Dome) 8.95 volts
Door side optic (small dome) 10.10 volts

Looking at them with my camera I see a purple glow from the Door side optic and nothing from the cabinet side optic.
I have the optics set the same way on the working machine, but did not check voltage or with camera.

David

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 06:46:40 AM »
I'm not really familiar with PE+ machines but does it have a cash can or belly optics that could be a problem?

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 12:40:15 PM »

Nope, there is no bill validator and there are no optics on the door of the stand. I cannot even get into the setup to verify that the drop door is set to NO.

David

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »

I found this in the repair manual. It shows that the cabinet optic should only be 5VDC but I am getting 10.10VDC. :banghead:
I am not very good with reading schematics and could really use the help of someone that understands all of this better. :arrowthruhead: :Scratch-Head:
From what I can tell from this page and looking at other info in the different manuals I am under the belief that the problem is a component on the Mother Board or even the board itself. :propeller:

I have not swapped the Mother Board between the 2 machines. I think I can run across town and get another mother board for not too much but is this is an easy fix for someone with beginner level solder skills I would be willing to give it a try at replacing parts. :Crazy:

Any thoughts? :hail:

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
Okay maybe the problem is with the motherboard. Not that hard to change and find out. You have a working machine and a non. Could be just a coin or screw underneath. Check that board and look for a burnt spot or something causing a short.  :yes:

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Online Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
The only thing that may have failed on the motherboard is R180 and/or possibly burnt circuit board traces.  Using the schematic you posted, check for continuity between the pins shown on the schematic.  The straight across lines should read 0 ohms, the one across the resistor should be 180 ohms.

According to the schematic your voltages are in the ball park.  The emitter on the door should read 5V the receiver on the cabinet should be ~ 8 - 9VDC.  10.1 is most likely an acceptable value.  If you can see light from the emitter with a digital camera then it is probably good, but check R180 anyhow to see if it's value has changed. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »

I just checked the door optics with a multimeter. Here is what I see:
Cabinet side optic (Big Dome) 8.95 volts
Door side optic (small dome) 10.10 volts

Looking at them with my camera I see a purple glow from the Door side optic and nothing from the cabinet side optic.
I have the optics set the same way on the working machine, but did not check voltage or with camera.

David

The door optic parts are not identical, one is a transmitter (an LED that emits infrared light) and the other optic part is a receiver. The receiver will not glow because it doesn't emit light. Keep in mind that the two optic parts must be aligned so that they are inline with one another when the door is shut and the locking slide bar is moved to the locked position. Otherwise the optic emitter's light will not activate the optic receiver.

I agree with Shaggy, it isn't that hard to swap the motherboard from the other working machine to see if the problem is due to a bad motherboard. But you can buy another motherboard to try if you want to. Swapping the motherboard will also let you look underneath it and behind it, in case something like a screw or coin is causing a problem.

The mpu (processor) board can also be the problem, it can also be swapped with the one from the good machine to prove yes or no. Inspect the door optic and cabinet optic wiring, make sure there are no damaged wires, sometimes they get pinched and don't appear to be broken but are, inside the wire insulation.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 06:08:59 PM »
As Rok said the optics are different. I'm sure they are like an S+ where the door is the emitter and the cabinet is the receiver. Only a glow from the door. As long as they're lined up you're going down the right road. Yes they could be bad, but some other parts are easily changed to get it narrowed down.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
Also, I read where you said you had swapped the optic parts a few times. Any chance you got the emitter and receiver optic parts installed backwards? I don't think it will work if the LED emitter is in the receiver position and vice versa. Compare the broken machine to the working one, carefully id each optic part and where it is mounted.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 07:35:29 PM »
Stays with the machine. I took the MPU board from the other and tried it and got the same thing. But I expected to because it is synced to the mother board in the other machine. But because of the Door open issue I could not get past it.

Right, I wasn't suggesting that the CMOS error would go away immediately by swapping boards, I wanted to see if you could get the Door Open message to go away with a different MPU board.

I'm sure they are like an S+ where the door is the emitter and the cabinet is the receiver. Only a glow from the door.

They are in fact the identical optics used in an S+.  :yes:

Also, I read where you said you had swapped the optic parts a few times. Any chance you got the emitter and receiver optic parts installed backwards? I don't think it will work if the LED emitter is in the receiver position and vice versa. Compare the broken machine to the working one, carefully id each optic part and where it is mounted.

That's a very good point.  :yes:  The plugs for the emitter and receiver are identical (stupid design), so it's possible to install them on the wrong sides.  Look carefully at the wire colors on your working machine, and ensure you have them installed the same in the problem machine.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »

OK, I just spent the last maybe 2 hours going thru them.
I swapped the motherboards and the problem stayed with the machine. So I then swapped the MPU boards and the problem moved to the other machine.
I spent a lot of time with a magnify glass going over the board. What I found is:
1 - there was some solder under some of the diodes shorting them out. What a pain that was to get cleaned up.
2 - the Program chip had a pin bent under. I could not see any sign that it was bent even with the magnifying glass, did not see until I pulled it out. Set it aside and put a different chip in for now.
3 - The Self Test button is going bad, I need to replace it. For right now I just have to press it at an awkward angle and apply pressure.

It is working now :dancing_2: . I have everything put back in the correct machines. I need to pick up a new CC because the one I have is not working very well and has been abused by the previous owner. I am also going to pick up another 5cent hopper and have then they will both be 5 Cent machines.

My next thing to do will be to strip them down and get them both cleaned up really nice inside & out. Oh I also have to drill out the locks on the cabinets so I can open those doors.

:thank_you:  so much for all the help you guys have given me so far.
I wonder what the next machines will be... I do need to get back to work on my MAME cabinet, maybe 2 of them. One for arcade and the other a MAME PE+.

David

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
Glad you got it working, it is very handy to have a second machine readily available to help troubleshoot. Imagine if you were ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive, that's what many people have to deal with. Do you think the DOOR OPEN problem was due to the bent pin on the eprom?

Offline dgalvin66

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 12:25:23 AM »
No, I think it was the solder crossing the diodes.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal