New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: universal 8116 game not working  (Read 2456 times)

Offline puckhead

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
universal 8116 game not working
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
i have a uni game not working, 8116 board, yellow dot PS .  didnt boot up, but  got it to work for a few minutes by pressing the ram clear, but it took a few tries.  the battery was near dead, i replaced it.  now it doesnt boot up.  power supply checks good. i get 5.01 Dc at pin one, but only 4.8 at the logic chips.  seems a bit low.  i dont know much about z80 cpu but will it reset and boot with 4.8? also, one time it booted up with a code 11.  voltages on pins 6, 8 ,and 12 are all about half what they should be, as referenced to ground .  i am a little confused by the PS schematic.  the 24 v and 9.5 V are 2 separate taps on the transformer,  and it seems testing that AC voltage to ground doesnt make sense.  a previous post i read said pin 8 should be 9.5 AC to ground.  i dont get that. am i missing something? all the bridges test good, i did replace the smallest one, but it tested good.  the line noise filter was nasty, and i bypassed it.

can the board be bench tested? i repaired dozens of pinball and other boards, but nothing like this.will it bench test with just 5V and ground? not even sure when to hook that up.

thanks
mike

Offline puckhead

• puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: universal 8116 game not working
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
i should have stated most of the PS checks good., except the 3 pins i get 3 pins i get about half of whats spec'd.  when it did work, i pressed the ram reset, and after a few seconds got a tune from the speaker. now its just low white noise from the amp.

thanks

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:18:54 PM »
this thing is making me lose my mind. every AC circuit on the power supply plug has a hot( load) , and a return, except the 9.5v AC on pin 8. pin 8 traces back to the return on the 9.5 ac part of the transformer. there is no pin for the load( hot) side of the transformer on the 9.5v side. the load only goes to the two bridge transformers. the 24v ac  has a hot pin and what they call a ground( really a return pin on AC)  pin.  the 100v ac also had a load and return. the 9.5 v ac doesnt. i cant explain that, or how  you could measure 9.5 volts AC to chassis ground.

i may be chasing a red herring, as it doesnt boot, no sound, no displays. i dont even know if the 9.5v ac is needed to boot. i do know its needed to prevent a code 11.  i'd like to bench test the mpu, to at least check reset circuit and address lines on the processor chip to see if it even boots.  in the end i may have to mail it someone to test in their slot, if someone would be willing to do that.

thanks much
mike

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 07:34:55 PM »
was the battery  on a board that plugged into a socket?  these have corrosion all around (green crud)  either  that or the battery area on the board itself.  If the battery circuit is not working the board won't work either.  from what you described I'll bet your problem is in and around the battery circuits, best way to find is to use a meter and do resistance checks point to point.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
the battery was soldered to the board.  there was very minimal leakage . its very crowded in that area, and its possible there could be some bridging under an IC, but ive seen much worse. i have tested the traces in that area and there are no breaks.  it could very well be the cpu, but being not especially valuable machine, its hard to justify buying a cpu or power supply to try and see what happens.

anyone have a PS or cpu if i need one?

thanks

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 137
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »
Not really sure how to measure the 9.5v ac.

Look at page 75 of the Universal Manual. The 9.5vac is sent to the main logic board to sense low incoming voltage. And also look at page 74 and read the power-up delay circuit.
The mpu needs a steady, clean 5vdc supply to stay operating. On top of the power supply is a voltage regulator that maybe the trouble (just guessing here).
If your seeing an accurate 4.8vdc than that's a problem.

Just as a precaution, remove the mpu rack in the machine and check the wiring behind it for foreign objects such as small screws, etc. Also check the big black connector going from door to machine. It sits in front of power supply. Look for any pins or pin sockets shoved down. In the past I've had these simple problems drive me crazy looking at mpu boards and power supplies.

Jim

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »
i get 5.01 dc at the ps. but it drops to 4.8 on the board. could be something on the board drawing too much current and puling it down, or a weak PS. also, i previously did check the reset circuit while bench testing and there is a problem there. i rigged a temp manual reset, and using it did reboot the board and the cpu did show activity at the address pins. its hard to trouble shoot the board because the schematics i downloaded are too fuzzy to read, the scans arent great.  its a pretty machine, one id hate to give up on, but its doesnt have a lot of value. are cpu boards available? also , if you have a universal , could you check the ac voltage from pin 8 on the PS to ground?

thanks
mike

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal