New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: first PE plus game- have questions  (Read 10839 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: first PE plus game- have questions
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »
The machine does a quick selftest when powered up. You may get an error, but you just open the door and press the little white button to enter Test/Diagnostics and step thru the screens, select any preferences or options you want. When done close the door and it should work ok. If you get a persistent memory error, like a CMOS RAM, CMOS DATA, EPROM or EEPROM error then you press and hold the white test button for at least 3 seconds and the machine will attempt to transfer and sync data between the EEPROM and CMOS RAM memories. That should get rid of the error unless there is a malfunction.

Have you found the Test/Diag pushbutton inside the machine?

You mentioned you had ordered SET and CLEAR chips, but I didn't think they were needed on the PE & PE+ machines.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline puckhead

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 03:25:20 PM »
well, no i have no monitor  . powers up,  you can feel static on the screen. when you power down, you get the while flash that turns into a shrinking while box.   candle blinks.  the board from the game with no picture works in my working game, just a cmos error. the board from my working game has no picture in the non working game, and makes the candle blink. ive reseated connections, no help

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
well, no i have no monitor  . powers up,  you can feel static on the screen. when you power down, you get the while flash that turns into a shrinking while box.   candle blinks.  the board from the game with no picture works in my working game, just a cmos error. the board from my working game has no picture in the non working game, and makes the candle blink. ive reseated connections, no help

A little convoluted for me to follow, so just to make sure I understand your situation-

One machine works ok and both mpu boards work fine in it, correct? And neither mpu works in the bad machine? So do you think you have a bad monitor in the bad machine? Since you have a working machine you can figure out what is wrong with the bad machine by changing major assemblies like the monitor, power supply, etc, right? As you are working on it take the time to check the cable connectors, make sure none have a bent or pushed-back pin. Check fuses. 
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • BrianT New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »
With a dead battery you can set up the machine and get it running, but every time you power off the machine the data in NVRAM (non volatile RAM aka battery backed up CMOS) will be lost and you'll need to re-setup the machine the next time you power up.

Now talking about the board with the 5 game select.  When you have it running and are on the main menu (game select) you should see a pic like shown below.  Turn the JackPot reset key and you'll be at the second pic, from here press the DEAL button once.  Then continue to turn the Jackpot reset key until you see a screen like the last one shown below.  That will tell you what program & data roms you have as yours are unlabeled.  Also you will have bad colors due to having the CAPX1321 instead of the CAPX2174 which is used for these single chipset multi-poker games.

BrianT

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »
BrianT or anyone else-

do PE and PE+ machines use a SET or CLEAR chip like the IGT S and S+ machines?
Just wanting to get that question cleared up.

Thanks!

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • BrianT New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
I haven't really seen a use for the CMOS clear / erase chip.  But the set chips can be used to enable DBV, set denomination and in some case SAS settings depending on the poker program. Based on documentation that I have seen:

SET001 - Set Denomination
SET004 - Set Denom & Enable DBV
SET038 - Set Denom & Enable DBV

I have verified those to work.  There is one set of One Eyed Jacks Wild that has to set denom and only SET001 worked. Other chips (based on PSR documentation) include:

SET002 - Set Denom
SET009 - Set Denom & ??
SET012 - Set Denom & ??
SET033 - Set Denom, Enable DBV & SAS 4.0

Then there are others for international regions or Spanish markets which include SET012, SET021, SET022, SET025 & SET045 to name a few.  And when you start using international or regional poker Programs like XP000137 and later you have SET100 & SET117.

I don't have all of them to test and some of the above information came from sifting through a lot of PSR (Program Summery Reports).  In my most recent PE+ Master Program List I have added the correct SET chip where I could verify documentation.  The information has been expanded to include basic run downs of 96 different XP000xxx Poker Programs, 21 XMP000xx Multi Poker Programs and a new section I added "CG by Build" which matches the correct CG graphics set, CAP/CAPX color prom & SET chip based on the program build.  As an example using your PP0418 board:

The Build is A47-A76 and according to IGT's PSR for that build, it should us CG2133 + CAP773 & SET004.  Of course other CG sets will work but that's the information that IGT intended to work for that Build.  To further illustrate that idea:

PP0158 - Bonus Poker
Build A0N-A23 needs CG2003 & CAP904
Build A46-A75 needs CG2003 & CAP904
Build A67-A8K needs CG2108 & CAP740

PP0203 - Bonus Poker
Build 898-974 needs CG2003 & CAP904
Build A35-A51 needs CG1348 & CAP740

PP0250 - Double Down Stud
Build 733-788 requires CG1019 & CAP740
Build A1L-A23 requires CG2015 & CAP740 and doesn't work with CG1019

In fact the way IGT designed the games and "looks at it" is it's not the PP0xxx that determines the CG it's actually the build.

So any PP0xxx that has Build A46-A75 should ALL use CG2003 & CAP904.

My documentation covers 185 different builds which covers the most commonly found builds "out in the wild"  This was nice because I have several PP0xxx I didn't know which CG set was required for the correct graphics.  Now I know I need to find CG2195, CG2283 & CG2093 as well as CAP1292 & CAP2283 to get them going.

BrianT

Offline puckhead

• puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 10:38:41 AM »
i swapped the monitors. the bad monitor didnt work in the working machine. the good monitor did work in the
" non-working" machine. the non working one did work  in the working game for about 10 seconds, then crapped out.  i called a local TV guy about repairing it, waiting for a call back.  there is an outfit on the web, slotmachineparts.com says they have rebuilt boards for 95.00. anyone heard of them?   think a chassis board swap would be successful? i do get surface static and the collapse of the white line when i switch off.

thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »
i swapped the monitors. the bad monitor didnt work in the working machine. the good monitor did work in the
" non-working" machine. the non working one did work  in the working game for about 10 seconds, then crapped out.  i called a local TV guy about repairing it, waiting for a call back.  there is an outfit on the web, slotmachineparts.com says they have rebuilt boards for 95.00. anyone heard of them?   think a chassis board swap would be successful? i do get surface static and the collapse of the white line when i switch off.

thanks

I'm not overly experienced with monitor repair, just know enough to give dangerous advice.  :garfield:

A monitor chassis board swap may repair it, a lot of times on older monitors that have a problem people say to try "recapping" it, meaning to replace all the larger value capacitors that are likely to have dried out and gone bad over the years. There are even "cap kits" sold for this purpose. Replacing the monitor logic board would accomplish the same thing, plus you'd be getting a tested board with some guarantee of working I'd think, and all the other circuits on the board would be known to work.

The fact that you have static on the screen makes me think the high voltage and fly back is working. Is the white line you see a horiz line or vertical line only, or does the entire screen get white display (raster). If you are just getting a solid line (horiz or vert) then that can mean the horiz output or vert output transistor is bad. (see example photo below). If both monitors are the same model do you think you should swap the monitor logic boards to find out if it is the board or the crt that is bad on the bad monitor?

I've heard of that company you mentioned but haven't dealt with them, others here may have.

Other than the bad monitor do both machines pretty much work ok?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:07:02 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »
If you're going to desolder the old battery and remove it, you might as well put in a battery holder and only ever solder once.  I used the simple and cheap 1/2AA battery holders (search ebay) and dremelled a tiny slot on the bottom to bend the wire straight out.  Then I place fit on the MPU board and snip off wire I don't need and solder into place.  Then just buy standard 1/2AA batteries without the attached wires and install as shown.  A better looking solution and likely easier to solder into place without any mods are these Keystone 1016 holders ( http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/keystone-electronics/1016/36-1016-ND/2137844 & battery clip http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/keystone-electronics/1024C/36-1024C-ND/2746326 ) buy as many or few as you need.  Now you can simply pop out the old one and pop in a new battery or remove the battery for long term storage without the fear of damage to the MPU board.  Hope that works out for you.

BrianT

I have encountered those batteries in some of my board repairs. What I don't like about them is when you have a side mounted board in a S+ or PE+ and you slam the board down into the slots to plug it into the backplane boards the battery can slip out of it's holder. I would recommend a piece of tape or a cable tie to hold the battery in place.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
 i am considering swapping the boards. i dont like to do that if i dont have to, with old stuff you can end up with both not working.  there is no line, its totally blank. when it goes off, it looks like a white square that very quickly shrinks and disappears.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
That is just high voltage decay inside the tube. You are getting no video information at all to the monitor. If you have a PE it could be because of open traces from the HOT resistor in the middle of the board. It gets so hot it can open traces. On a PE plus board it could be a bad CAP chip or the 40 pin (last 2 numbers 45) video chip near the MPU chip.

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »
i swapped chassis boards. both CRTs are good, the bad unit has a bad chassis board. now, do i buy the 95.00 one, have mine repaired, or try to repair it myself?

thanks

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
Call Larry we can fix it, we have the tester for that board, 702-363-9998

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal