New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Cleaning Chips and Boards  (Read 5472 times)

Offline channelmaniac

• Surface mount soldering geek
  • Global NLG Site Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Few things are better than fixing an old game...
    • Arcadecomponents.com - Looking for hard to find chips?
Cleaning Chips and Boards
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
One of the most time consuming tasks when burning ROMs (EPROM, Flash, EEPROM, etc...) is cleaning all of the old label from the old EPROM. Sometimes the stickers come off cleanly, other times they leave their glue behind. Even worse are the ones where the glue has turned to cement and the label comes off in layers - leaving a hard to clean mess.

For the EPROMs with the glue left behind, 3M makes a citrus based adhesive remover in a pen format with a fiber applicator/scraper tip. It's the "Scotch Adhesive Remover Pen", number 6042, and works wonders on getting rid of old glue residue - even the hardened stuff. It smells like orange and is much easier on the sinuses than trying to use harsh chemicals.

To clean the worst ones - the ones where the label just tears and the glue has turned to concrete - use heat. Yes, heat. It can be a hair dryer, heat gun, or even an oven. The problem is that if you use one of those methods then the chip will get too hot to hold. If you have a surface mount soldering station with a hot air iron then simply use a pinpoint tip to heat the label. This will reactivate the glue and make the label easy to peel off the top of the chip.

If you have a Pace desoldering station (with air pump) simply use the ThermoJet handpiece to focus the hot air on the label itself. The chip will remain cool to the touch making it easy to peel the label off.

Of course, use the Adhesive Remover Pen to clean up any glue residue left behind.
I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

http://www.arcadecomponents.com

Offline channelmaniac

• channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!channelmaniac Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Cleaning Chips and Boards
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:46 PM »
Tips from other (some former) forum members:

Quote from: cfh
I just go to the local party store and buy a small bottle of lighter fluid (naptha). it works great for removing old label goo. when i burn new EPROMs i just use a sharpie and black out the quartz window. then one swipe with the lighter fluid, and the EPROM is clean for a good erase. if the EPROM is not temporary, then i'll put a 'real' label on it.

Quote from: Jay
I buy goo gone at our local grocery store or home depot. Its kind of yellowy in color and smells of citris as well.

Quote from: CaptainHappy
I have found that the part that means the most is the window when it comes to cleaning... I do a little trick nowadays when I have burned a eprom and it is label time. I cut little pieces of scrap paper sized to cover just the window, and then I put the label over that. This way the adhesive doesn't mess with the critical window opening. When I remove labels I start it with a razor blade and pull a little of the label back for gripping, and then (after repositioning the razor) I push with the razor side to side at an angle while I pull on the tab of the label and it usually comes up pretty clean. I then clean with an alcohol cleaning pad. For tough ones I have used the razor blade and wd40. I will have to remember to try the goo gone and other adhesive cleaners mentioned.

Quote from: ricker
I like the little paper to cover window. Makes sense. I have used fingernail polish remover(acetone) in the past for removal of adhesive. Seems to work well.

Quote from: StatFreak
I wasn't able to find Goo Gone locally; I bought it at MCMOnline for $7.89 for a 12oz bottle. They make big refills too.
I have too many hobbies! Electronics, gunsmithing, Miatas, arcade games, metal detecting, etc...

Offline channelmaniac

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
There are many different techniques to cleaning boards. One of the most effective is also the most controversial.

**WARNING** Do NOT do this on boards that have suicide batteries!!!

If I have a board that is in NASTY shape, I'll pull any batteries (and chips with paper labels you want to save) then toss it in the dishwasher.

Yup. The dishwasher.

Wash with HOT water, NO dishwashing detergent, and do NOT use heat dry as it might melt some of the plastic parts. (This is why some dishes are marked Top Rack Dishwasher Safe. On the bottom shelf the heat dry will melt them)

After taking it out, some people prefer to do an alcohol rinse to get the water off. This isn't necessary. Besides, most of the alcohol you buy in the stores is 50 to 70 percent WATER anyway! Read the label if you don't believe it.

When the board is done simply dry it. This can be done in multiple ways. Put it in front of a fan overnight (my favorite), use a hair dryer (time consuming but if you want to work on the board right after washing this is the one for you!), or even put it in an oven at 170 degrees for a couple of hours. Whatever method you choose, make sure it won't damage the board. Also make sure the board is completely dry before powering up!

If the board has damage from battery or capacitor electrolyte leakage I clean it up with a stiff tooth brush and Formula 409 Orange. It gets the oily residue off the board nicely. Rinse with pure alcohol (Available at Fry's) or with some good flux remover spray to get rid of the detergents from the cleaner. Dry off the board and start fixing the damage from those pesky batteries.

Offline channelmaniac

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:14:19 PM »
When cleaning Neo Geo mulit-slot boards I prefer to use a toothbrush and Formula 409 Orange cleaner.

NOTE: Top board ONLY. You can clean the bottom boards this way IF you remove the battery from the board FIRST. You do NOT want to get the batteries wet and NEVER put a board with a battery on it in a heated oven for drying.

Rinse the top of the board then spray the top liberally with 409. Scrub the board down with the toothbrush. Don't be afraid to scrub the chips and under the edges of the slots. Rinse the board and the toothbrush then spray the cleaner liberally in the slots. Scrub up & down the length of the slot with the toothbrush to remove the grime that causes problems in reading the carts.

You'll be surprised at how black the toothbrush will get.

Rinse the board thoroughly then dry overnight with it stacked vertically (with the slots vertical too) or place it in the oven at 170 degrees.

If you still have lines on the screen then check for broken/corroded traces and for corroded slot connections. The 409 will clean grime but will not remove the green corrosion. Use a burnishing tool for that. You can get them at automotive stores as they are used to burnish points in old distributors.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal