New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Cpu reset circuit  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 110
  • Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
Cpu reset circuit
« on: February 15, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »
Reset is made up of a voltage comparator n schmit trigger .... If I bump voltage to the reset game comes up and stays up ...... Both those ics are new and cap was swapped along with Zener but won't boot on it's own this is what I have

Comparator has 5.01 and 4.34 on it's 2 inputs..... Output is 2.75 with a ceramic disc in there which goes right to pin 3 of the Schmidt trigger 4-5 are tied together making 6 the out which goes straight to reset pin on cpu ...
With 4.3 and 5 on the comparator inputs shouldn't the put become 5 ?
Bump pins 2-3 on the comparator n reset goes to 5.2 n boots .... What's up with this
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:32:40 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Cpu reset circuit
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »
I don't really understand your question. It helps to use complete words and sentences so we don't have to make multiple posts to clarify the problem. This way, the experts here can you get your machine up and running.  :applause:
What's the problem? The machine won't boot, correct?
Do you get anything on the screen?
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:21:07 PM »
the reset circuit on this board consists of 2 ICs the comparator and shcmitt trigger along with a few diodes and resistors...... the cpu reset line is hung low ..... if i jump pins 2-3 on the voltage comparator the reset line comes high and cpu and game boots....based on the inputs of the comparator the output should be high too but its around 2.75v .... which is still logically high but these arent digital chips .....the 5.1 zener along with those 2 mentioned ICs are new, traces all verified good and resistors all lifted and tested out of circuit and are withing tolerance....... so theoretically this should reset on its own but its not

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »
So you can manually reset/reboot it, but it won't do it on its own.
Hang on... help is (hopefully soon) on the way!
Are all your connectors seated properly? Clean contacts, etc?
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:54 PM »
So you can manually reset/reboot it, but it won't do it on its own.
Hang on... help is (hopefully soon) on the way!
Are all your connectors seated properly? Clean contacts, etc?

i went through the while thing already and rebuild and go through the reset circuit... should be working

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
Reset is made up of a voltage comparator n schmit trigger .... If I bump voltage to the reset game comes up and stays up ...... Both those ics are new and cap was swapped along with Zener but won't boot on it's own this is what I have

Comparator has 5.01 and 4.34 on it's 2 inputs..... Output is 2.75 with a ceramic disc in there which goes right to pin 3 of the Schmidt trigger 4-5 are tied together making 6 the out which goes straight to reset pin on cpu ...
Bump pins 2-3 on the comparator n reset goes to 5.2 n boots .... What's up with this

In the Fortune I section I posted a sticky quick fix for reset problems that bypasses the myriad of components used to do a simple reset.

All it takes is one TO-92 part and cut one trace on the board.

When that reset circuit was designed we had to select certain physical size caps relying on the larger plates to make the circuit work.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »

In the Fortune I section I posted a sticky quick fix for reset problems that bypasses the myriad of components used to do a simple reset.

When that reset circuit was designed we had to select certain physical size caps relying on the larger plates to make the circuit work.

I'll check they out thank you ...... This was driving me but cause in theory it should be working .

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 11:55:50 PM »
Another reason for a sloppy reset is that large Xtal in the middle of the board is not firing up with the same frequency on each power up.

Not the crystals fault. Usually the 74LS04 it is driving or the 390 Ohm resistors have changed value.

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:02:29 AM »
This would never reset on it's own .......  That's a strange reset circuit design compared to most of them

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 01:16:32 AM »
Well, Fortune Coin became Sircoma and then IGT so they worked fine for quite a while, amazing what 30 years can do to a electronic circuit with that many parts.

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:13:33 AM »
Amazing any if this vintage stuff still works like as much as it does .......

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 01:25:44 PM »

works great thank you .... thats an AWESOME quick fix for that
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:41:15 PM by mike111 »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »
Ok, let me know. I have done over 10 boards and it worked fine.

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »
It's up n running booting  consistent .... Works good .

Offline ponchovilla

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • ponchovilla New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 06:39:16 PM »
Hi, I too am having a big problem with my fortune 1 board on startup. just a blue screen. takes about 5 minutes of on off cycling along with activating the game records switch to get it to come up. I am desperate for help on this. thanks

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »
Maybe your reset switch is defective and holding the game in reset, or the backplane plug it is connected to has corroded pins.
The reset switch is the bottom one.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal