New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1965 Gottlieb K&Q  (Read 3282 times)

Offline SummitTrouble

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • SummitTrouble New User has no influence.
  • NLG
1965 Gottlieb K&Q
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:33 AM »
I have a Kings and Queens game, and it has been playing wonderfully for months. During Monday Night football, a friend was having a great game, going over the top at near 1800 points when the game just died, blackout. I looked at the game and saw the fuse had blown for the motor circuit, it's the first fuse on the left side of the cabinet in the front left, near under the left flipper button. I replaced it, and it blew again immediately. I looked under the playfield for any stuck switches, coils, relays and couldn't find any, operating them to make sure they worked correctly, so I rotated the cam on the score unit counter clockwise (the only direction it goes) until it's reset position. I tuned on the game and had a loud buzzing noise, I believe from the motor, and turned the game off immediately, it didn't blow the fuse. I inspect the score motor switches, all seems to be ok. I tuned the game on, the playfield and head lights came on, but the game did not start. Any experienced old school pinball techs out there who knows these Gottlieb games care to help me out? I's appreciate it. I'm going to take the VOM today, and measure line voltages on the transformer. There are main three circuits off the transformer I believe, 6.3 volts for light bulbs, 25 volts for scoring circuits, and 110 volts for coin door. I can use all the help and suggestions I can get, I am stumped again!     

Here is where I am now. The short was corrected by un-soldering a red+yellow wire that has a tab on the 0-9 unit coil bracket. It's on the inside (towards glass) of the bracket. When that wire was disconnected, the game quit blowing the 10 map fuse, and plays. BUT, the match number, center roll over special and 1-10 bumpers sequence no longer function. I believe the wire is common. The whole thing is weird. Any ideas from the experts? I have an idea, but will try before making a fool of my
self again,, lol.   
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:49:14 PM by SummitTrouble »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: 1965 Gottlieb K&Q
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:08:24 AM »
That loud buzzing noise could be from a solenoid. There are many of them in a pinball machine. A solenoid is a round coil of wire, covered with a paper wrapper. They are about the size of a large spool of thread and have a hole thru the center. Passing thru the hole in the center of the coil is a metal plunger that moves back and forth to do something, like work the flipper or a kickout arm or other feature. These coils sometimes get stuck on and then they overheat, burn up and blow a fuse. Carefully look for any burned or overheated solenoid coils. You can get an idea of what a solenoid looks like by looking at what parts under the playfield move the flippers, they are easy to find. Each flipper has a solenoid that fires when you press the flipper button switch on the side of the machine.

Your idea about a bad motor may be the problem but solenoid coils are often the culprit. Don't forget to inspect the parts in the scored head, there are many switches, solenoids and other things there that connect to the score motor.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline puckhead

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
ive gotten a lot of help here, and can finally jump in and return the favor.  ive repaired over 1000 pinball machines, PM me with a phone # and i'll call you. it would be a bit much to advise you in text here.

mike

Offline SummitTrouble

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »
I still have 2 issues to resolve, the special roll over lane and 1-10 point bumpers, it revolves around a feed to a pigtail loop connected to the coil bracket on the 0-9 unit, is that a 6 volt feed or 25 volt feed, I haven't checked with VOM yet, anyone know of hand? and when that wire is connected to the coil bracket, it blows the 10 amp 25v circuit fuse by coin door, damnest thing I have seen. Have more tests to run, Hi Mike! with that yellow+red wire disconnected from loop on coil bracket, it blowing fuses. Now what?

Offline SummitTrouble

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
The 0-9 unit was the culprit. The 0-9 unit was cleaned, lubricated and adjusted lining up the contact rivets correctly, and the 25v yellow-red wire re-soldered to the loop on the coil bracket and all features work correct now, the special lane lights when all club rollovers are activated, the 1-10 point bumpers alternate in medium mode, and the match function is working. Amazing when this unit is out of adjustment causes the 25v circuit fuse to blow. Good to go now.   

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 234
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
Very nice machine!  My favorite! I have a kings & queens myself.  Needs cabinet repainted, someone painted it white.  Did you repaint those cabinets?  Your skyline looks great too.  I have a cross town with those green opening doors on backbox.  Steve Young owns the copyright for manufacturing/reproducing all gottlieb parts.  Good guy.

Offline SummitTrouble

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
Thanks! The K&Q was restored by a collector in California. He did a great job on the cabinet, not so much the mechanicals, but I have that straighten out now. It's a dependable game now, just playfield maintenance forward. The Sky Line game is an original survivor. The cabinet has minimal touch up, and the Glass is near perfect, playfield is excellent. The Flipper Pool game was restored by Bob Huber out of Texas and shopped by Nic Schell with FUN, the store I bought it from. Yes, Cross Town is great game too. Wish I had more room. I guess the next machine I'll get is King of Diamonds. I'm getting another K&Q that needs a restoration which I'll attempt for a friend who wants the game. I have it figured out, the webbing takes a light touch on the spray pencil. Good Luck on your cabinet restoration, really isn't too difficult, preparation is 9/10s the work.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal