New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Williams 40x Stampeed, No Display  (Read 2495 times)

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
Williams 40x Stampeed, No Display
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Helping out a friend with a Williams Stampede 3 reel non dot machine. Machine previously worked. Sat for sometime, said when he got to starting it back up battery was low so that was changed. When I checked it out on start up there is no display lit at all and there is a continuous bong every 2-3 seconds. The bong will not stop. I rechecked the battery, its good. All the red lamps on the right side of the MPU are lit along with the one on the left. I tried running the clear chip and nothing happened. Still no display and the continuous bong. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Williams 40x Stampeed, No Display
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »
Have you tried replacing the lower power supply, or tried the power supply from this machine in another good working machine to see if it is ok? Problems with these machines are usually cpu board, I/O board or the power supply.

You say this is a non-dotmation machine, so by "no display" you are referring to the digital display behind the reel glass, right?

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
I had taken the PS from my Dot machine to try and found out there are 2 different ones. I will look tomorrow I may have the correct one to try. Yes referring to the digital display behind the reel glass. Also spoke with Brent and he gave me some suggestions to try. Thanks, will keep posted.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
WMS used 2 slightly different power supplies, one has a 12 pin cable from the main transformer and the other power supply uses a 16 pin cable. They even made an official WMS adapter cable to accommodate swapping between the two. If you had to I think you can bring the transformer cable from the other machine along with its power supply to swap into the broken machine but that would be some work involved. The other connectors on the side of the power supply are the same on both versions of power supply. Bad luck having a second machine with the opposite style of power supply.

Since you have the second machine I suppose you've tried cpu and I/O boards in the broken machine? The 5 red lites on the right side of the I/O board is a good indication, that means the major power supply voltages are good. But the red lite by itself over on the left side should be OFF.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline tollguy316

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • tollguy316 New User barely matters.tollguy316 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:44 PM »
The 5 red lights being all on is a good indicator that the power supply is good.  I would reseat the eproms and the 2 boards.. be sure to check the back of the country and i/o for bent pins... if all is fine; i'd say the issue is either the u2 or u3 chip or the CPU.  Bill

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
OKKK, I tried the top IO board from my JPP dot machine with the same results. Then I tried my MPU and got 1 bong and the display.  :applause: Got error dot failed because its not a dot machine. So the problem lies within the MPU. As mentioned it could be a bad u2 or u3. Will look into it further. Thanks for the help so far.

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
So when I put his MPU in my machine I got the bong and a display?  :Scratch-Head: And message game change on display. I was expecting no bong and no display  :Scratch-Head:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
Maybe a flaky connection somewhere? Did you also press down on the eproms on his cpu? Maybe the board wasn't fully seated in his machine's backplane? If you try his cpu back in his machine does it now work ok?

As you know the message "game change" is normal since you put a different cpu in your machine and the machine sees that the backplane eeprom doesn't match what software is on the cpu board. But a soft clear will sync them, just press the card cage TEST button once or twice and that should do it. But you may not want to worry about the game change message since you just wanted to see if his cpu would powerup and give the 1 bong in your machine.

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »
I know the message is normal. I had removed all the eproms and reseated them while at his place. I did press the board in hard, actually pushing the machine back. Will keep trying.

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »
After Trying different boards it ended up being the power supply. What didn't make sense was when I tried my working mpu finally got the display but the left red led was still lit and would not clear. Put original board back in and got no display and red left lamp on. Both boards worked fine in my machine and ended up working in his machine after changing the PS.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
Thanks for posting what was causing the problem, and good job on sticking with it.   :cool_thumb_up:

If the WMS-40X machines never had a power supply problem they would practically be problem-free.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal