New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
cfh                                              Contributing Gold NLG Member
                                                     NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

[/tOdyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « on: June 18, 2010, 06:58:55 PM

I know the stock hard drive for the odyssey is a
SCSI Seagate Barracuda ST15150N model, 7200 rpm,
4.3 gig, 9ms, 50 pin. But has anyone ever tried a
different SCSI 50 pin hard drive? Or for that matter,
an IDE with an SCSI 50 pin adaptor?

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:56 PM »
Slotmaster                                              Contributing Gold NLG Member
                        Sr.NLG Member 501 to 1000 Post

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »

about 5 years ago I tried to get another drive to work and came up empty.

The limitation was SCSI controller but I did not try IDE to SCSI.

Way back when it was easy to get the original drives, I would guess now it's not.

That platform still has games that are better then today's machines to some degree.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »
cfh                                              Contributing Gold NLG Member
                        NLG Member 101 to 500 Post

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »

i don't understand why another 50 pin SCSI drive
with perhaps larger capacity would not work.
what drives exactly did you try?
[/t][/t]

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
Neonkiss                               

Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:42:23 AM

I was speaking to friend in the industry on this topic just the other day after seeing this post.
He advised that he had also tried this a number of years ago but had no success. His thoughts were that there is something weird about the boot sector on the original drive preventing it from copying over to the new drive. He said he would like to try this again with some of the newer imaging copying software now available. It would have to be something that would copy and format bit for bit. Maybe along the line of the newer versions of Ghost.

Maybe RickHunter could elaborate further. He's real good with the computer stuff.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:46:12 PM »
blueridgeslots                                           

703 730-0821

Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:19:41 PM

Actually the OEM Drive was a Quantum Viking, but the better one to use was the Barracuda, the Viking didn't go out on the floor, but they didn't lock when powered down from what I was told, and then when they were moved, well..... you needed a new one, once you put the Barracuda in you were good to go, my first dealing with the "Slotmaster" was on eBay buying a drive for one over 10 years ago, still have it today

[/t][/t]

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 06:49:10 PM »
Slotmaster                                

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »

The viking was also much harder to find off the shelf then the Seagate as well at the time.

The issue of finding a replacement had to do with the controller, needed drive size and that it was a 50 PIN. 

When moving up in size the 50 PIN was no longer as things went to SCSI 3 which is a different controller and had different drivers for booting.  There is no way to update the controller drivers as they were hard coded in the boot software which was the big issue.  The system looks for one type of controller / brand (adaptec)

The issue I remmember at the time there were not many different brands of 4 GIG SCSI 50 PIN drives and you do not want do go down in size either due to what is needed to get all the games on one drive.     You also have to becareful not to change any files or add any thing that is foregin or the drive will fail auth after being on for a while. 

That is what I remember off the top of my head. 

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
cfh                               

Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:40:15 AM            

So are you saying as long as it's a 50 pin SCSI drive,
pretty much any 4gig or larger driver will work?

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
robertwinter                      

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »

I've never been able to get anything other than the ST15150N Barracudas to work.  I've tried larger drives (all manufacturers), similar size drives from other manufacturers, SCSI-2 and SCSI-3 drives with adapters to 50-pin.  Nothing else works.

It wouldn't surprise me if the BIOS did a check on the drive ID during bootup for verification.  Since the drives have RSA signatures all over them, I'm sure there are some other security measures in place as well.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »
jay                                

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 02:54:07 AM »

I have some PC imaging software at the office. On occasion we have had issues (power bump), people unplugging a machine while it is imaging just because it didn't have a monitor on it they assumed it was off etc. In any case the Hard Drive gets pooched and none of the standard tools will work on the drive.

To correct this problem I have downloaded a utility from the Segate web site that allows me to re initilize the drive and create a partition on it. If I try to use the tool on a differenct brand of hard drive it tells me no-go. So it is possible that the slot is doing the same sort of check as well.

One other thing to try is to download a utility called Gpart its a self booting CD (free) that allows you to size a partition to anything you want. I would first use it to determine the exact size/layout of a drive that works - then swapping it for a different brand / size run the utility and size it to be the exact same as the Baracuda and see if that moves you forward.

Good luck

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »
StatFreak                                

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 03:29:01 AM »

I wonder if there is a way to access the bios of a drive and change the drive ID (MFR etc.)? From reading these posts, it seems to me that this might be the key to "fooling" the machine into accepting another drive.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »
pinballjail                                     [/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »

I tried it with a SCSI to IDE adaptor and it didn't work. It came up with a write protect error. Seemd the SCSI drive has a jumper on it to activate the write protect. IDE drives have no such jumper as far as I know. Looks like the bios would have to be changed.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »
ChuckBerg

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »

Quote from: pinballjail on September 11, 2012, 10:07:47 PMI tried it with a SCSI to IDE adaptor and it didn't work. It came up with a write protect error. Seemd the SCSI drive has a jumper on it to activate the write protect. IDE drives have no such jumper as far as I know. Looks like the bios would have to be changed.

You're right - IDE drives do not have the required write-protect jumper that SCSI drives have.  Family Feud slot machines were shipped with IDE drives, because by the time we added two more video cards we had no slots left for the SCSI controller.  To solve the write-protect problem, we built an adapter board that fit the 50-pin connector on the drive.  You can learn more at http://www.google.com/patents/US6823419.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »
rickhunter                                

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »

Just to elaborate further on this topic, the reason other drives don't work is because of drive geometry.  Hard drives are logically assigned Cylinders, Heads and Sectors per track.  In the old days it was pretty straight forward, you could just multiply the 3 to get the total sectors and multiply that by 512 bytes (number of bytes per sector on hard drives) and get the total capacity.  You can see we have limitations in size on this spec, which is commonly called CHS.  The maximum size is 255 heads x 1024 cylinders and 63 sectors per track, giving you a maximum size of 8 Gbytes.  In secured environments, the drive's geometry becomes part of the security hash, so unless the drives have the same CHS numbers, your hash will fail during validation as the bigger drives have different drive geometry. 

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
ChuckBerg                            

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »

Quote from: rickhunter on August 17, 2013, 04:07:00 PMJust to elaborate further on this topic, the reason other drives don't work is because of drive geometry.  Hard drives are logically assigned Cylinders, Heads and Sectors per track.  In the old days it was pretty straight forward, you could just multiply the 3 to get the total sectors and multiply that by 512 bytes (number of bytes per sector on hard drives) and get the total capacity.  You can see we have limitations in size on this spec, which is commonly called CHS.  The maximum size is 255 heads x 1024 cylinders and 63 sectors per track, giving you a maximum size of 8 Gbytes.  In secured environments, the drive's geometry becomes part of the security hash, so unless the drives have the same CHS numbers, your hash will fail during validation as the bigger drives have different drive geometry. 

Correct - the BIOS and disk driver are "hard-coded" to CHS formatting so no drive larger than 8GB will work.  However, while many things are included in the encryption of the drive content, this geometry is not.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
rickhunter                                

[/t]
Re: Odyssey Hard Drive - anyone try other brands?                            « Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »

I figured that on most secured environments, the drive geometry would be part of the security hash, it is so with WMS flash cards.  Learn something new every day I always say.
[/t][/t]

Offline Joeylc

• Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
  • In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!
  • KG7NLG
    • New Life Games LLC
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
the links and images need to be moved to the new site...  see this topic: http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php/topic,79.msg585.html#msg585
"Sell one game, two more shall take its place!"
"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal