New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: GPT IBS-41B?  (Read 4505 times)

Offline UnclePaulieB

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • UnclePaulieB New User has no influence.
  • NLG
GPT IBS-41B?
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

Extreme rookie here, just got my first slot.  It is an Atronics Sphinx machine.   The bill validator doesn't want to work though.   On start up you can hear the motor spin although I noticed it spins towards the front of the machine instead of spinning in towards the machine (not sure if that is correct or not).   I can't seem to find much about this model online.   When you put a bill into it the lights show a few green lights in an angled pattern on either side of a red circle with a slash through it.  So it is getting power and recognizing an attempt at a bill feed but showing it doesn't want a bill.  In the software setup menu it shows under the bill validator test "INIT failed".

Ok, so that is all the information I have on hand and would like to know if these are worth troubleshooting or does it make sense to replace the unit?   Are these units available as a direct replacement or is there a more common model that can be retrofit into this machine?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide a rookie.  :)

Just wanted to add that GPT is Global Payment Technologies and this is a unit from 1999.   Have had 9 views in very short time so I am hopeful!  Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:07:54 PM by UnclePaulieB »

Offline iwalker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • iwalker New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: GPT IBS-41B?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:24:51 AM »
Hi and Welcome to NLG

Here is relevant chapter for the validator from the manual. Even if You did get the BV operational its most likely that it would not support any newer notes released post 1999. There are gen2 IBS/IDS validators available but even those are now obsolete.

Regards
Ian

Offline UnclePaulieB

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
Ian,

Thank you very much for the reply and posting the pdf, any information is appreciated even if it is that this is an old and obsolete unit.   Is there a recommended unit I could replace the current one with easily?   Also, cost is an issue, as this is just a home unit.    I'm just hoping there is another BV that is affordable and can easily fit into the same frame setup.   I'm not asking for too much, am I?    :rotfl:

Thanks,
Paul

Offline iwalker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »
Hello Paul

I have never seen these with any other BV installed although from the manuals it seems JCM WBA may work.
At least if You can get currrent BV talking to machine You can then see which notes are supported/not supported. If I remeber correctly the whole bv assembly slides out on a set of rails and the ribbon cable attached to the bv head ran under this and got damaged easily. I would inspect any wires running to the BV for damage.

Regards
Ian

Offline UnclePaulieB

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
Thanks again Ian!   So I looked at the connector and remember thinking when I was messing with it before that it looked like it could get caught up on those rails very easily.  Upon further inspection, it looks like one of the wires was intentionally clipped at the connector.   I say intentionally as it was the brown wire in the middle of the connector and not one at the end you would expect to get caught up accidentally.   Also, it was cut clean and flush with the connector and the wire was looped back and tucked into the harness and not just hanging around.   I have no idea what this means but I guess at least it is clue number one.

I am starting to wonder if things may be a bit more complicated than what I was hoping for, as most of these options in the setup menu say something like "you can't change this option, use setup program CNF109"  or something along those lines (I'm guessing at the actual numbers, but you get the idea).   I could get a laptop with a USB to serial adapter but beyond that would have no clue where to get the program itself.   I was just hoping I could buy a new BV head and plop it in.  :)   I really wouldn't mind even having to just put single dollar bills in, I don't even care about new currency recognition.

Thanks again for your reply and if you have any other ideas or suggestions I welcome them.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline iwalker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
Hello Paul

These things are not exactly home user friendly - apart from the Config program You will additionally need a dongle to enable the program to work.
More info on that here
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=2352.0.
Can You post pics of the harness ? Does the machine have a coin acceptor ?.

Regards
Ian

Offline iwalker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 08:11:19 AM »
Hi Paul

Assuming the BV's is not causing a tilt Your cheapest and easiest way to get some play from the machine is to enable service mode.

Offline UnclePaulieB

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
Thanks for all this great information Ian!    It is actually working with the coin comparitor in there, so I am not stuck with a non working machine.   It just gets old having to load it up with nickels all the time.  :)   If I am chasing a lost cause or looking at a replacement being cost prohibitive I may just have to keep it as it is, with only the coin option.

I may just pick your brain one more time however, by posting pictures of the wiring connection to the BV and a picture of the entire unit.   If you have a wiring diagram and could look to see what the cut wire is that would be great.  I could patch a section of wire to it if it is something that should be connected.   Also, if you see the picture of the entire unit and think "Oh, look at that , a JCM WBA 20 looks like it would fit right in!"  then I might bite the bullet and try to retrofit it.    Still grasping at straws but it sure is fun tinkering with this!  :)

Offline iwalker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »
Hi Paul

WBA is do-able but requires the Upstack unit - a different bill door (Not entirely clear if entire front door can be converted from one to the other)and seems to need an additional interface board.You can place a WTB on the classified section maybe on of the NLG vendors is parting one out and can help You with all the required parts.

You are welcome to post pics but its been a good few years since i have worked on these - The wiring diagrams I have unfortunately are not much use - only gives part numbers.

Tx
Ian

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal