New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: dbv 145 sg  (Read 4011 times)

Offline john7dee

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • john7dee New User has no influence.
  • NLG
dbv 145 sg
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »
145 sg dbv in  bally 5500--  has no eprom----what eprom do I need and do you know who has one
thank you
john

Offline john7dee

• NLG
Re: dbv 145 sg
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
does any body know what chip goes in this 145 dbv---surely some one knows
john

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
does any body know what chip goes in this 145 dbv---surely some one knows
john

Looks like a 27c512 eprom in this old one I have. You are aware that the data in the eprom will vary according to which manufacturer of slot machine the DBV is installed into, right? Different slot companies use different comm protocols for the bill validator to "talk" to the mpu board.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline john7dee

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:29:23 AM »
the dbv is in a bally 5500

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »
the dbv is in a bally 5500
If your question was what chip goes in the DBV-145, it is a 27c512, I thought you wanted to program an eprom and needed to know the part number for the blank eprom.

If you mean what programmed chip goes in the DBV-145 for a Bally 5500 that will be harder to obtain as these bill validators are old and haven't been supported by JCM for many years. There may be a slot vendor that still has a copy of the software, or someone with a similar machine as yours may have a DBV-145 and have the ability to make a copy of the chip or extract the software from it so you can make a programmed chip. Maybe someone here on NLG can give additional advice about that. JCM put a different programmed eprom chip in the DBV head according to which manufacturer of slot machine the DBV was getting installed in. So your Bally machine will need a DBV with Bally style of software in the eprom. This style of software is called the "ID protocol". For Bally machines I think the ID is called "044/045". Looking at the JCM website it appears that the last Bally software for the DBV-145 works with US bills dated 2004 and older. So even if you find the correct chip for your DBV-145 it may only work with the $1 bill.

The DBV-200 model of bill validator head is a direct replacement for the DBV-145, and since it is newer you might be better off finding one of them that already has the correct Bally chip for use with your machine. JCM made several versions of the software over the years as they updated and improved it. So you'd just need to find a DBV-200 with Bally software in it, the newer the software the better. But even then there will be limitations on what paper money it will accept since the US changed all of its bills except for the $1 several years ago and the DBV-200 software was not updated for many of the bills. (it will work with the $1 bill because it was not changed and possibly the $20).

So, while looking for the right chip for your DBV-145 I'd also try looking for a DBV-200 for a Bally slot machine, that may be easier to find. The DBV heads come up for sale on ebay now and then, plus here on NLG. Maybe there is someone here with one available for your machine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:27:55 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline john7dee

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:16:51 PM »

I thank you for the info--I will shop around and see if I can find some one that has the chip--I do not understand why the chip was not in the dbv to begin with--image that--

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »

I thank you for the info--I will shop around and see if I can find some one that has the chip--I do not understand why the chip was not in the dbv to begin with--image that--
Someone may have been in the process of trying to update the software in the DBV-145 and they had a problem finding a chip or the software and never finished the project. Or your DBV may not be working due to some reason and someone took the eprom out of it for use on something else.

Even if you find the newest eprom software for it you may only get it to work with a $1 bill since the software would be so old and nearly all of the bills available in circulation now are different. If that's ok and you just want a working DBV that may only accept a few bill denominations you can put the word out that you want either a DBV-145 or -200 for use in a Bally machine. Someone may have one and help you out. For a while some people here on NLG were practically giving away DBV-145 heads as they did machine upgrades, but they were mostly for IGT machines I think.

One solution would be if you can find someone that has an older Bally machine with a DBV-145 or someone with a Bally DBV-145 sitting in a box. They could take the eprom out of the DBV and download the software to a file and send it to you. Then you or someone for you could burn that software into a blank eprom to create the chip for your DBV. Also there's a slim possibility that someone has a collection of DBV software and they could send the software file to you. But even after all of that you could still have a defective DBV (bad motor, bad logic board, bad sensor, etc) and it wouldn't work. That's why it is probably better overall if you work on getting a good used DBV-200 that already has the Bally chip in it. Just an opinion...

Your first post in this thread implies that this DBV-145 was installed in the machine when you got it, and it was missing the eprom. If so this sounds like someone just stuffed the DBV in there to fill the hole. Is this machine new to you?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:16:08 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline john7dee

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »

I have had it for awhile--I remember working on it a few years ago trying to get the dbv to work, got the green light to come on--  but still would not work  did not think to look at the chip so I do not know if it ever worked----I have a dbv 200--022/023--the chip is soldered in this one-- will that work? --what about the power supply is it ok--what all do I have to do? dip $ are off

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »

I have had it for awhile--I remember working on it a few years ago trying to get the dbv to work, got the green light to come on--  but still would not work  did not think to look at the chip so I do not know if it ever worked----I have a dbv 200--022/023--the chip is soldered in this one-- will that work? --what about the power supply is it ok--what all do I have to do? dip $ are off

Without the eprom the DBV-145 can't work. It contains the necessary software that the little circuit board needs to operate the DBV and communicate with the slot machine it is installed into.

The DBV with ID-022/-023 is for the IGT brand of slot machines so it won't work in a Bally machine.  (see chart in reply #2 above). That's why JCM puts the sticker on the DBV saying what the ID protocol is, so you can tell what machine it is compatible with. The software in that DBV will only work with IGT machines. All of the DBV-200 heads are the same except for the eprom chip, which customizes it for a particular brand or manufacturer of slot machine. The idea was you simply change the eprom (or the software in it) to the version needed for whatever brand of slot machine the DBV is installed into.

If it had an eprom in a socket you could remove the eprom and replace it with an eprom containing Bally software, which I think is ID -044P/045P. That would let it work with your Bally machine (provided the DBV itself is good). Something to be aware of is that there is a difference between DBV-145 and DBV-200 chips since the sensors in the DBV's are different. So I'm pretty sure you can't stick a DBV-145 chip into a DBV-200, or vice-versa. But I've not tried that.

On the newer-made DBV's JCM (company that made them) started using a flash type eprom that was soldered directly to the circuit board. These DBV's are more difficult to modify since you can't just remove and replace the eprom since there is no socket. They are software loaded by using a special setup that connects the DBV to a computer running a program from JCM that transfers software to the DBV flash eprom. There is a procedure explained elsewhere on NLG about how to remove the soldered flash eprom and install a thinline socket, then install a normal DIP style eprom in the socket. This procedure requires careful removal of the flash eprom and soldering of the new socket to the board.

At one time there were slot vendors that would re-program your DBV-200 to whatever software you need. You just ship the DBV-200 head to them and tell them what machine it is going in. They would also test the DBV and make sure it is working ok. Some may still provide this service, you'd have to check around to see. The charge was pretty reasonable, seems like it typically was $15-$20 plus shipping.

If you have access to a variety of slot machines you might come across a Bally with a DBV-200 in it. If it has an eprom in a socket you (or someone for you) could remove the eprom and download the Bally software from it, then make a second eprom that can be installed into the IGT DBV-200 and convert it to a Bally DBV-200.

The external power supply for the DBV you are referring to was something IGT used on their machines. I guess the machine either didn't have the correct voltage the DBV needs, or they were worried that the IGT machine's power supply didn't have enough power to run the DBV along with the other stuff connected to it in the machine. The black JCM power supply mounted inside the machine near the DBV and connected to its power connector. There are 2 models of this black power supply box, one with vents and one without. The one with vents is higher power (more amps, not higher voltage), the DBV-200 needed it to work reliably. For other brands of machines that used the DBV-145 or -200 the external power supply isn't needed, at least on the machines I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:38:10 AM by rokgpsman »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal