New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Trying to get a Ultra Running  (Read 3809 times)

Offline jtwine

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • jtwine New User has no influence.
  • Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
Trying to get a Ultra Running
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
Note: not asking for help... Yet. :)

So I happened upon a (Super) Magnificent 7 that is completely dead as far as the game itself goes.  No outer LED activity and none on the board either.

Pulling the board I immediately see signs of battery corrosion (I have worked on older Williams arcade games that used to use AAs for CMOS backup), and battery is completely dead, of course.

After pulling all socketed chips (some have nasty pins, too, gonna have to do the sockets as well, I bet) and some vinegar, soap, water and time in a 200 degree oven gets me something to work on.  Traces near the (clipped) battery show signs of actual damage, which is confirmed by my meter.  The two smaller tactile switches are fulblungered as well.

Some quick patch work restores continuity on the bad traces I find.  Also replaced the two wonky switches.

My replacement battery does not have pigtails and I could not find a holder for it, so I am trying some circuit-writer stuff on the ends of it and waiting for it dry before replacing chips and soldering it back to the board.

Other parts of the board are really dirty, but look salvagable. 
 Bottoms of rocketed chips' legs are relatively clean, so I might try the existing sockets first.

Will also have a look at the power supply to see if it needs any work (caps, etc.) before powering up the repaired board.

Do not think I am gonna get it running perfectly the first time out, but maybe I will get some signs of life...

I will post pics of the board and repairs(?) and update this thread with progress, JIC anyone is interested.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
Re: Trying to get a Ultra Running
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
Pics of repairs so far.  Wiring is "prototype," and likely to get better in the future.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
Oh, yeah.  Forgot to attach an image of the crud on the (socketed) chips.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
Be sure to clean the board pins and spray the backplane pin sockets when your ready to give it a try. The weakest point on these machines is the board to backplane connection.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »
Be sure to clean the board pins and spray the backplane pin sockets when your ready to give it a try. The weakest point on these machines is the board to backplane connection.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

Thanks.  Will do the ole spray-insert-remove-insert-remove-and-let-dry routine a few times when I try the board again today.  Surprisingly, those header pins have the least amount of corrosion on them.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »
Well, also had a look at the power supply and cleaned it a bit and replaced a few caps.  Board is still dead - No LED activity on the board. Tried the clear switches with a power cycle a couple times as well.  No dice.

Does anyone know exactly how much functionality needs to be working in order to get some LED activity?  Just trying to gauge of it is worth trying to get running or just part it out to some people that can use it.

I gather from older posts that there are no manuals for the Ultras.  Is there an otherwise central collection of shared knowledge other that this forum/topic?

Gonna sniff around for what the various test points are used for, might help diagnose the next step, if any.

Edit: well, that was an easy find: http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=14751.0

Might have to pull PS, Backplane and PCB like you (uniman) did to troubleshoot further... If worth it to do so.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »
So, my board does not have test "bead" #4, oddly enough.  Not sure if you are familiar with the different board style(s).  Picture attached.

Anyway, it seems I have no discernible voltages present at any pf test points, regardless of how I connect to them.  Even the coin comparitor has no voltage present between pins 6 & 1, regardless of whether the MPU board is inserted and or connected at the front connector.

Starting to sound like a power supply issue to me, eh?  Does anyone have pinouts for the power supply brick itself?  It would make it easier to get power to it and test outputs without tracing lines (although it did not look that hard when I first had it opened). 

The power supply design (at first blush) looks like one board that does the initial rectification and another that further filters/buffers/cleans the resulting outputs.  Could be totally wrong here - did not study the power supply that well.

Anyway...

-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
Well, it seems that the first "stage" of the PSU is busted.  By removing the cage and disconnecting the larger cable between the two boards, I am not getting any voltages present on the connector.

The large filter cap on the "input" board is charging up to close to 180V, so it seems that initial rectification is working, so something between that and the stepping down of voltages?

My power supply experience is limited to simpler SMPS like those in arcade games, so this one might be a challenge.

Also a bit of a PITA to have to have the damn thing in the game to get power to it...

Anyone got any ideas on this PS to suggest a starting point or known failures with it?

Peace!
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jbshocks

• jbshocks New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 06:58:51 PM »
So, my board does not have test "bead" #4, oddly enough.  Not sure if you are familiar with the different board style(s).  Picture attached.

Anyway, it seems I have no discernible voltages present at any pf test points, regardless of how I connect to them.  Even the coin comparitor has no voltage present between pins 6 & 1, regardless of whether the MPU board is inserted and or connected at the front connector.

Starting to sound like a power supply issue to me, eh?  Does anyone have pinouts for the power supply brick itself?  It would make it easier to get power to it and test outputs without tracing lines (although it did not look that hard when I first had it opened). 

The power supply design (at first blush) looks like one board that does the initial rectification and another that further filters/buffers/cleans the resulting outputs.  Could be totally wrong here - did not study the power supply that well.

Anyway...

Green ground,  yellow 5 v red 12v and orange 30 v.  Rev 4 board dropped the black bead which is also ground. 

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
Green ground,  yellow 5 v red 12v and orange 30 v.  Rev 4 board dropped the black bead which is also ground.

Thanks.  I was able to confirm that the PS was dead when an anonymous benefactor helped me obtain a working power supply.  Once I had that, the game booted with no LED activity  on the board and would eventually display a 15 1 error and would ignore any attempts to perform RAM/ALL clears (the switches were being ignored), and the game would make random sounds.

Flexing the board around the sound CPU would effect the random sounds being emitted and flexing the board near the switches and DP RAM caused the occasional LED to light up on the board.  I reflowed the [size=78%]the pins on the DP RAM and firmly reseated the Sound EPROM.  After that the game performed the All Clear correctly and the game came to life.  [/size]

It had a problem with the handle unlocking inconsistently which I explained in a more recent post and the hopper needed lubrication.  Aside from that and a lot of blown bulbs, it was working pretty well.

However, it has had the occasion to slip back into making random sounds and generate the 15 1 error again.  Again, flexing the board changes this, so I am going to replace all sockets this weekend.  After pulling all socketed items and removing the existing sockets and the battery, I am also going to send the board through the dishwasher and a drying cycle in the oven, just to make sure the board is crud free.

Once dry, I will replace the sockets, reinstall all items, and see how the board does.  I know someone with a SMD rework station with a hot air tool, and I might have to use that to more accurately reflow the pins on that RAM chip if the board continues to give me trouble.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:07:12 AM by jtwine »
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline jtwine

• Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:22 PM »
So, doing the sockets took a lot longer than I thought.  Some unconnected pins were a bitch to get out of the board, and I slightly damaged (cosmetically) the board in some places.  But I eventually got them out and got the board washed and dried.

New sockets and machine pin SIP strips (did not have 28-pin sockets) in, and chips replaced.  Game would either not boot or boot to 15 1 errors, and pressing on the DP RAM chip would get the RAM clear to work, but would boot with a 71 error every now and then.

Had a friend resolder the DP RAM with a SMD rework station and now it boots perfectly, and no sign of the sound issues.

Learned two things: 1: a 71 error can be caused by a poorly connecting DP RAM chip, and 2: I need to invest in a hot air rework station!

Now, onto those tower light colors...

Peace!
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal