New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: first timer IGT splus do I need a clear chip ?  (Read 24830 times)

Offline leocat168

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • leocat168 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
first timer IGT splus do I need a clear chip ?
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:58:17 PM »
Hi I recently purchased a IGT s plus double diamond from 1990.  The owners had it from their parents and don't ever remember it being turned on.  It seems a little different than the ones I'm seeing on here.  specifically there is no Bill acceptor and the coin mechanism is not a comparator but completely mechanical.  It seemed very clean and in good shape so I bought it and took it home.  Upon turning it on I got the 12 code and changed the battery.  powered up again and got the 61.  pressed the white button until the ding and got the 61-1. shut the door and turned the jackpot key once and it went back to the 61.  tried the process again but cant get it to go back to the 61-1 except for once in awhile seemingly randomly after messing with the key and maybe turning it on and off.  But the 61-1 just goes back to the 61.  Is this the 61 loop?  do I need a clear chip?  If so which one?  Is there something else I should check first?  There is also a white button which appears to be a signal for the door being closed ,that has nothing hooked up to it,(see pic) I appreciate any help.  I love these types of things and would love to get it running.  I'm very new to all this and only know what I have read on here.  I've attached some pics.  Thank you in advance

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: first timer IGT splus do I need a clear chip ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
Others here with more experience will give better advice than I can. You are probably right about it being an S+, but it possibly is an S instead of an S+. If you can post photos of the inside of the machine with the main door wide open, particularly the lower area where the hopper is, that will help to identify it. There is a large circuit board, called the "mpu", in the lower area. It is mounted to a metal plate called a tray, either along the side wall or the back wall. Closeup photos of that area are helpful to id the machine. If the mpu board connects to some wiring cables with connectors that slide onto the mpu then the machine is an S. If the mpu plugs into another smaller circuit board mounted on the floor of the machine (called the motherboard) then the machine is an S+. I think this is true in all cases.

The large white pushbutton switch is called a "cherry switch", named after the company that makes it. On some machines the cherry switch is not used and there are a couple of door optic sensors instead. The door optics are small round parts, one is mounted near the edge of the cabinet frame and the other on the door edge. An example of a door optic sensor is shown below.

I brightened your photo a little so I could see some details.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:40:23 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 04:29:54 PM »
If it has door optics it is an S+. S machines didn't have optics. If your left side looks like this you have an S+. Welcome to NLG!  :applause:

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline leocat168

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »
Almost positive its an s plus.  it is written on the mpu and does have door optics i believe.   I will post more pics momentarily   thank you

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
If it does have door optics then the white cherry switch won't be connected to anything, unless someone has added a mod or something.

If your door optics are working ok and aligned right then you may be in that error 61 loop and need to do a clear. If so, the CLEAR chips are available at lots of places like ebay, slot dealers here on NLG, etc. They are low cost so a lot of folks get one so they will have it if ever needed. I think the SET chip is only needed if you have to enable a bill validator.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline leocat168

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
Is there an easy way to be sure the door optics are working?

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
Sounds like the 61 loop. An IVC0103 should do the clear. You won't need a set chip since you don't have a bill validator on the early S+.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline leocat168

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »
picture

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
Is there an easy way to be sure the door optics are working?

When you shut and latch the door with the error code showing, does the display blink off and come back on again? If so, the optics are working.

Dave

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »
Early S+ Dude! Got one myself.

Dave

Offline leocat168

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
I'll try that,

another pic

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »
OK before you start that.....does that mpu board have acid damage from the dead battery? If it has leaked and damaged the board you may have to replace it. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings. Because if the board is damaged you'll likely never clear the 61. Make sure power is off before removing any boards.

Dave

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »
From the reading you've done you are probably aware, but just in case someone else is following this tread there is a volume control on the top edge of the mpu assembly. It is a small blue wheel, can be turned one way or the other to adjust sound level. Also, the mpu assembly is removed by pulling upward on the black knob mounted to the front of the mpu assembly. This will disengage the mpu from the motherboard connectors.

Offline leocat168

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
The board looks ok where the battery was,  anything that i should look for in particular?

Offline leocat168

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »
The little "volume knob" doesnt appear to move.... when I open and close the door the 61 on the display just stays constant..

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 05:12:21 PM »
Might want to remove the mpu and see what's hanging up the volume control. It should move freely from one stop to the other. If you take out the mpu you can post a photo of it, maybe we can see something not right. Was the old battery leaking anything out of it, or was it just dead but clean? Since the mpu mounts vertically sometimes stuff comes out of the battery and drips down onto another area of the mpu or even the motherboard.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Well if it's green crusty looks like a Zombie vomited on it that should stick out. If it's clean and the battery wasn't broke open....you should be fine. One I had where the battery leaked the displays just flashed and didn't do jack. I'm trying to cover all the bases before I send you out to order parts. Actually it just sounds like a really dead battery that didn't cause damage. I think you're in great shape. I think Rok suggested some places for clear chips. That sounds like the next step. Make sure wherever you buy the clear they send instructions to you. Good Luck and let us know how it goes. So how was your first night on NLG?  :cool_thumb_up:

Dave

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »
A constant display sounds like the optics aren't working. But a damaged board could cause lots of problems.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:54:16 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
The little "volume knob" doesnt appear to move.... when I open and close the door the 61 on the display just stays constant..

A volume pot could be just stuck. It's far from the battery and that shouldn't cause trouble.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal