New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Universal jackpot 7s - handle not working  (Read 7569 times)

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Universal jackpot 7s - handle not working
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 03:15:24 PM »

With the door open you can see the tab that blinds the top optic. The solenoid pulls this tab in the optic when the first coin is counted.
So with the door open and white cherry switch pulled out/door locked, drop in a coin and see if the solenoid pulls in the tab. If it doesn't you can trace the two gray wires from the solenoid to a connector with orange and orange with black stripe wires.

The wires go to the side of the power supply behind reel #1. You should see two connectors on the side of the power supply. In the power supply is a little relay board called the Tower board. There are Tower 3's, 4's and 5's depending on how old the power supply is. These boards all do the same thing, they energize that solenoid. So I would check for voltage at that first connector closest to the solenoid. (the one the two solenoid gray wires connect to) Check it after a coin is inserted and the handle has not been pulled.
If you have voltage and solenoid does not work, bad solenoid.
If you have no voltage to energize the solenoid, it could be bad tower board, orrrrr, the oldest power supplies (1985) had a black relay box attached to the back wall, doubt you have that.

Offline Inetjnky

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Inetjnky New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
Should I remove the reels to do all this?

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 07:46:50 AM »

Yes, remove the reels. (If you pull the handle the machine will tilt when it doesn't see the reels) Test that two wire connector to the solenoid, looking for 24Vac.

With reels removed take a picture of the inside and post it.
Also take a picture of the power supply so I can see the amperage ratings on the fuses. (The pics needed IF there is no power to solenoid, otherwise bad solenoid)

What I'm looking for is; How old is the power supply and is there an external relay mounted on the back wall. Most Universals today are a mix of parts from different machines. If that is a newer power supply and there is an external relay then the relay must go. Or, it could be a very old power supply that requires that external relay and the machine does not have one. Or, the solenoid is just bad. Or, the tower board has a problem. Or, the wiring is not connected!! Etc, etc, etc!!!

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »

Going back through your posted pics I noticed the machines meters mounted next to your mpu in the lower area of the machine. Now I really need to see pics of this machine!
Can you post a full machine pic of outside and one with reels removed of the reel box area.

Here is mine below. This is normal Universal configuration with the exception mine is unpainted and the power supply is a later model Yellow Dot that could be used for 8800 board machines also.
The solenoid connector is hanging there in front of my meters.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
I'll have to figure out how to remove the reels.  Mine looks nothing like yours.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
I'll try and get pictures tonight once I'm off work.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »
Ok I have some pictures for you...

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
Ok if you take a look at the picture with the spring and the metal bar that the solenoid moves to make the handle function or lock, it appears the round metal piece that hooks the end of the spring on is missing a cotter pin or something to keep the spring on that rod to give it tension?  I put the spring back on as it was off but there isn't anything to keep it on there.  Next when I pull the handle the bar moves out of the way and locks waiting for a coin.  Adding a coin is not causing the solenoid to pull in to bring the bar into the field of view for the sensor to release the handle and spin the reels.  How can I teatbthe solenoid with a meter (what setting on the meter) to verify the solenoidnisngood?  I do notice that the wires leading off the solenoid have been electrical taped on both sides of the clip.  Thinking I should remove that and solder them together and the shrink wrap them.  But it looks like they lead directly into the power supply which has the test and sound buttons on it in the bottom cabinet.  Doesn't look like the power supplies in other units?

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
I see the spring actually hooks into the area where I thought a cotter pin went. So I have the spring in place now... I'm dreading you're going to ask me to trace out the wires going to the solenoid and the rats nest below... *bangs head on desk*

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 08:52:57 PM »
Tested the orange wire king to the solenoid at the clip.  Wasn't sure whichbto test so I tested both volts AC and D.C. And both times when a coin is dropped, the meter reading doesn't change *cries*

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
One other question... when the reels spin there is a loud hummmm before they stop.  Anyway to quiet the reels down?

Offline Johnnyboy321

• Reputation Power: 4
  • Johnnyboy321 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »
How do I post on here not on the comments but a thread

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »

How do I post on here not on the comments but a thread

Go to FORUM TOPICS button.
Scroll down to area you want to post, like UNIVERSAL. Click on it to see all the posts.
In the upper right area you will see LAST POST, just above it there is the NEW TOPIC button. Press it and go.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »

For testing the solenoid power you need to test both wires for 24Vac.

Your power supply is obviously in the top box. Can you get a pic of it.

And, can you get a pic of the outside of the machine with door closed showing the entire machine.

If there is a load hum it usually means there is a short somewhere or power supply problem. Most probable is a 24vdc short.

I do not recognize this machine, really need to see a pic of entire machine. And, are you in the U.S. or overseas?

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Hey UNIMAN, I posted a bunch of pictures is both #26 and #27 posting, not sure if you missed #26 and I apologize for them being side ways, not sure what's up with that but here is the picture of the power supply and pictures of the machine outside including a picture with the reels inside.  The only board for the reels is on the front of the reels as shown.  Also, I'm in the US and am told this machine came out of the Sands in Atlantic City but I have no proof of that other then the Sands logo under the top glass.  Also the bottom glass light bulb just went out but I'm not worried about fixing that at the moment.  I'd rather get these other issues resolved first if possible.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »

Thanks for the extra pics. The cabinet and door are standard Universal. The wiring inside is not.
That first pic is NOT the power supply. It is nothing more than a junction box. That is where normal Universal power supplies are located. The big bundle of wires behind it going up to the top box are not found in normal Universals. There has to be a power supply in that upper box area.

So, with door open, remove the Sands logo bar and then lift the top glass up and it should pull out. Behind that should be the light and the metal reflector it is connected to. Behind that metal reflector there should be some kind of power supply.

Should would like to see it! That may tell us why your handle is not working.

Offline Inetjnky

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »
Ok it just keeps getting more interesting.  Behind the glass the lamp is attached to a wooden box as the reflector?  I'm assuming this isn't standard either?  Also on the back of the box I found an old Bell that wasn't hooked up but saw where the plug for it was so I hooked it back up.  Ran the machine and hit a few 10 coin payouts but no sound from the bell so I'm not sure what that's about.  Will unhook it again just to kee things the same for right now.  Pictures to follow!

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »

That looks like what is called a Narrow Power Supply. Usually used on narrow machines that do not have room left of the reels for a standard power supply. On narrow machines the power supply is under the reels/above the hopper. This one is in the topbox. Also it appears to have four circuit breaker reset buttons and they usually have five??
Narrow machines were used where space was a premium like cruise ships. Your cabinet is a standard wide body, not narrow.

Take a look at this thread and the pics of a narrow power supply; http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=9437.msg51161#msg51161

Seems to be missing a connector compared to the pic in the other thread.

I've never seen one like this before. It looks all Universal as was made that way. That wooden light box is vintage Universal, metal came later. The outside of the cabinet once had wood laminate, it was removed and then painted, that is why no nameplate as it went with the laminate.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »

The OFF/ON switch with door wiring connector by the reels look Universal. Never seen that before though. The narrow power supply looks Universal except it looks older with less circuit breakers and one less connector. The wiring in the topbox has been modified quite a bit. I see a lot of clip connectors and not sure why. The power supply is mounted with screws that are not Universal. Probably been removed and worked on.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »

If you look at page 98 of the Universal Manual there is a schematic of the Narrow Power Supply. Not as complete as the Green Dot schematic on page 97, but it does show a Tower 4 board that is used for the handle.
I would check the two wires going to the handle solenoid for 24Vac first. Should be orange and orange/black wires.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal