New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S9000 May be dying or dead  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Nashional

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Nashional New User has no influence.
  • NLG
S9000 May be dying or dead
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
Worked fine Sunday. Today, it booted up and after a few minutes  (didn't play it immediately) an error was on the screen. Something about a touch screen com error. Didn't write it down. Sometimes this machine is finicky so I just turned it off, waited about 30 seconds and turned it back on. Now it makes the startup POST sound (one long beep, two short beeps) twice and does nothing else.

I changed the CPU battery, removed the CPU from the machine and plugged in on the workbench without anything else attached and the same thing happens, even with no cards in the machine.

I don't have any parts or another machine to swap parts.

Any ideas?

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S9000 May be dying or dead
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:41:48 PM »
More info is needed,  A 512 box, 1-gig,  dual vid.,  dual screen,  reel spinner vid. etc.  It's a simple fix with the proper info.  Some folks use one game as a "slut" and keep jamming stuff in it for years then it breaks is why I ask-excuse the slut part-B.

Offline Nashional

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »
Thanks for the fast response.!

It's a 5 reel 1 gig with top monitor and dual video card (you might remember it). If you need more info just let me know.

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »
Will get with you tomorrow as a lot going on here,  Actually someone is coming to pick up a v-20/20 you had asked for but gave the cold shoulder. After a year or so of you stuffing that old girl you got from me with stuff -she probably is tired-shame to ruin a nice cherry red at a give away price back then. The shuffle wears them out. Can't account for the status of what you have now.  My suggestion is would be to return it back to what was working.  Touch screen error makes no sense in your post.  The game will work and be pending that error to work. 

Offline Nashional

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 09:03:07 AM »
OK.

First, let me vehemently apologize if I came off as committing to purchase a machine. I was only inquiring to see what you had and if it was something that I may want for my collection. But, life things got in the way and I was not able to do what I thought I would be able to do at that time. I am a person of my word and I feel really bad if I gave you that impression. That was not my intention at all.

For the issue I'm having, Cherry Red has been in there for months with no changes to anything other than emptying the cash can one time.

This may be typical of Bally, but I've had lots of small issues such as a bad monitor board (which you sent me a part to repair it) and a bad printer (which I bought a replacement for).

There are also many random startup issues such as the memory would count up slowly or not at all during POST. Sometimes the numbers during the memory test would be in different colors. These issues required a full power off and restart to try to resolve.

Sometimes it would boot to the game but then give me a red box error with the only option to turn the key to restart. Doing so always resolved this issue.

Sometimes, during play or while it was sitting idle, the reels would stat spinning for no reason and would never stop. The machine then would not respond to the key or any buttons. A restart would be required. This seemed to happen more lately.

I would say that it booted as expected about 80% of the time. The other times there were issues.

This last error before everything stopped working said that I should call the attendant, but it would not respond to the key or any button. There was also a very small line of pixels that appeared corrupt on the screen as if it locked up (really wish I'd taken a picture now).

So, at this point, this is back to what was working for months (great game by-the-way).

I'm not adept at troubleshooting Bally's but I am with computers in general and it almost seems like it's a RAM issue. But, again, I don't have an option to swap parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
You may very well have a mpu issue that is not repairable.  On start up the count up for memory will be slow after a battery change.  After another re-start it will/should be much faster.  Does the mpu have a dual video card?.  If so, remove it and use video port on mpu.  With mpu removed and on bench find a external video monitor and power up.  Make sure ALL the fans are running.  Also check the small 3V button cell battery on the backplane.  The reels start spinning by-themselves; This indicates a comm loss,  If you have ever turned the atx switch on the mpu off to clear,game change etc. you have noticed that the reels will start spinning.  Check all pins on back of mpu, check all connections on backplane,reel driver board etc.  Sounds as if something had to heat up to originally cause these issues.  Sometimes cycling the atx switch works because the mpu had gotten out of sequence so how.  Best I can think of at the moment without it in front of me.  *Also as a note the power supply in the mpu has a fan it as well*

Offline Nashional

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:11 AM »
Removed the video card and powered up on the workbench. I get a (slow but steady) memory test, validating the BIOS screen and it fails at "Error opening boot ID file" which is probably expected because I removed the cards during previous testing (process of elimination).

Should I try it back in the machine without the video card?

Offline Nashional

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:03:57 AM »

More information, power cycled and it came right up with fast RAM test. Faster than I think it ever has in the past.

Also, the fan closest to the USB ports is not working.

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
I think that may be ok,  I think one normally runs on that side and the other is for over-temp and will kick it on if needed.  (without me digging one out to see). Yes,  It sees the device missing and will need to be cleared and re-started. 

Offline Nashional

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »
Did a clear and set it back up. Working great so far. Will leave it running for the day.

So I'm guessing the dual video card is bad?

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »
This is a good sign.  You won't notice a graphics diff. probably on that game.  The dual card is needed on v-20/20 and most v-32's for the higher resolution. Keep the video card.  What happens to them over time is fan failures mainly due to lint,fuzz,hair etc. getting under the blade and intertwining in there and slowing the rpm's down-then more heat, then overheating the caps on that little board.  They can be repaired on most of them so worth keeping as they are pricey for a original Bally one.  The draw in amps from this problem causes Havoc in these boxes-Why I mentioned it.  Good Luck.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 04:04:22 PM »
You probably have to re-cap the video board.  I've had to recap a couple of mine already.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal