New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Noise from power supply  (Read 5922 times)

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • ersk3 New User barely matters.ersk3 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Noise from power supply
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:29 AM »
Hello

I have a noise from the power supply in my S+ "double diamond". Is it posible to fix? Is it a common problem?

Best regards Erik

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Noise from power supply
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:03:13 AM »
What does the noise sound like, is it possibly a fan noise? Does your machine operate correctly, any differences you notice while the noise is happening?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:31:39 AM »
The noise is 23Hz and loud. I have disconected everything from the power supply and it still makes the same noise. I gues it's broken? The machine operates correctly.

Offline slots4home

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
Could not pm you

My email is 1@slots4home.com if you need one

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
If it's not having an overall adverse effect on operation it could be a cap going bad or the transformer "singing". You can look at the caps to see if anything looks bloated or if you suspect the transformer, try wedging something underneath it like a toothpick or whatever. We used to see occassionally where the distance between the transformer and the board would cause a harmonic resonance. Not on slot machine boards, because I wasn't working on them back then, but tv, amp, radio and whatever power supplies. Somewhere to start anyway...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »
The noise is 23Hz and loud. I have disconected everything from the power supply and it still makes the same noise. I gues it's broken? The machine operates correctly.

23 Hz?  That's a very low freq, not sure my old ears could hear that low. Sound levels that low are often felt more than heard, like the deep bass sounds in a movie. Did you mean 23 Khz instead?  Anyway, you could take the cover off the power supply and inspect it, like cowboygames said there might be a part that is loosely mounted or a shield has come off, you might see something that is causing the noise. If careful you can take an insulated tool or a plastic wand and press against parts while it is making the noise to isolate where the noise is coming from. Don't press or touch anything in there with your bare finger, even if power supply switch is turned off, unless you are sure what you are doing. But pressing on stuff with an insulated tool is ok.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
23Hz must was worng, about 200hz is correct. I have pressed against the power supply and the noise changes. I have also measured the secondary side, and the readings seems quite a bit of. The voltage on the primary side looks fine, so it looks like the transformer is broken.

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 06:30:22 AM »
I wonder if it's posible to replace the transformer with this one (see link below). My output gives me 240VAC, so my best guess is that it should work. Any feedback?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Output-AC-6-3V-24V-36V-110V-Voltage-Control-Transformer-/310570256078?hash=item484f6e06ce

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:40:39 AM »
Here is the old trafo

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:51 AM »
I wonder if it's posible to replace the transformer with this one (see link below). My output gives me 240VAC, so my best guess is that it should work. Any feedback?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Output-AC-6-3V-24V-36V-110V-Voltage-Control-Transformer-/310570256078?hash=item484f6e06ce

I don't think that ebay transformer is a suitable replacement.

That transformer you linked to has a secondary voltage of 6.3 vac on one of its outputs, your machine transformer drawing says it wants 7.0 vac. Not a huge difference but still not correct. I think that voltage is probably for button lighting, if so they would be somewhat dimmer. But it might also be used for something else. Also, on transformers you have to worry about the power rating of each secondary output. It isn't mentioned in the ebay xfmr auction that I saw. The stuff in your machine connected to the secondary windings will want to draw a certain amount of electrical current, some amount of amps. The replacement xfmr will need to be able to provide these amps, there is usually a rating on each secondary that says something like "24vac at 4.5 amps". This rating is shown in the IGT drawing you posted but I didn't see any mention of secondary power ratings in the ebay auction. The part number for the transformer in the ebay ad is "BK-100VA".  That makes me think the overall power rating on the transformer is 100 volt/amps. But your IGT transformer is rated at about 230 volt/amps (115x.75 + 24x4.5 + 7x5 = 229.25). The ebay transformer is not powerful enough.

Your xfmr doesn't show any sign of leakage or meltdown or burned. And your machine is working ok so it would seem the power supply voltages are ok. When you measured the secondary outputs did you get 115v, 24v and 7v, all are AC voltages? You said it measured "quite a bit off". But this is the main power transformer and your machine is working ok other than the noise, so how can the voltages be way wrong? When you measure the output voltages you need to put both meter leads on the secondary terminals, not have one lead connected to chassis ground like you might do with dc voltage measurements. [sorry if you already know this, just want to make sure since I don't know your experience level]

The xfmr is constructed of many thin metal plates, they are held together with a long screw going thru each corner. Might want to make sure all 4 of these screw are tight. If loose the plates can vibrate and make a noise. Also look for loose mounting of the xfmr to the machine chassis. I'm not sure you have an electrical problem, could be something mechanical. Also, a xfmr can hum loudly if something connected to it is drawing too much electrical current from the secondary winding, but you said the noise occurs even with everything disconnected from all the xfmr secondary outputs, right?

If you want to proceed and replace the transformer I'd first try to find the exact replacement. The folks that deal with slot machine parts can probably provide one. They don't go bad very often, so anyone that has parted out a machine would have them. Look for a tag with the part number somewhere on the transformer. Or if you have the manual for your machine the p/n might be listed in it. Lastly, someone here might know what p/n to use and where to get a replacement.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:47:26 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
Problem solved :-)

I found out that the wiring diagram I posted was not correct for my IGT machine. I took out the transformer from another early IGT S+ machine I got, and it was the same readings from the secondary side. I think they might have used the same transformers in the early S+ machines as they used in the S slot. I took on some ventilation tape on the sides of the transformer facing the wall and bottom, and it calmed down the vibrations.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:06:55 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Problem solved :-)

I found out that the wiring diagram I posted was not correct for my IGT maschine. I took out the transformer from another early IGT S+ mashine I got, and it was the same readings from the secondary side. I think they might have used the same transformers in the early S+ machines as they used in the S slot. I took on some ventilation tape on the sides of the transformer fasing the wall and botom, and it calmed down the vibrations.

That's good news, can you post a photo of your fix so someone else with a similar problem will know what might help?  Thanks!

Offline ersk3

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
It took me some time, but here are some photos
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:46:01 PM by Ron (r273) »

Offline Cashen87

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Cashen87 Is working their way up.Cashen87 Is working their way up.Cashen87 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »
Hello. I have same issue on my machine. When I power up the machine then its comming a noise from the transformer

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 265
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
Have you read and  tried all the steps that are in this thread, prior to its being resolved?
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Cashen87

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Cashen87 Is working their way up.Cashen87 Is working their way up.Cashen87 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
Yes

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 265
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
Ok - Please start a NEW topic on this, and describe the problem. I want to keep this separate as this particular problem is resolved. Also, please note that you read this thread and tried the solutions from this thread. Thank you - moderator.  :wave:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:16:39 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal