New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Evo video slot - general questions...  (Read 35336 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Bally Evo video slot - general questions...
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
I just bought a Bally Evo video slot, in various pieces. Most of it is assembled now although I have two plugs in the top box that have no home. I'm thinking they may be for a printer, but if anyone knows... please post. There's a two prong plug on the left and a smaller one on the right, with what looks like a ground terminal. I don't see anywhere to plug them.
Also... what model IS the Evo? I'm new to working on these. I have a Game Maker but this one seems much more complex than that. I did find a link "slot tech - interesting stuff" that I believe has some of what I need on it.
Oh... does the CD have to be IN for it to run? I'd assume so...  :Scratch-Head:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:14:55 AM by cowboygames »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally Evo video slot - general questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
I got everything together. I think those plugs are for a printer or something up there. The machine powers up BUT... and I think this IS the problem: the CD rom just makes a loud WHIRRRRING noise. It's not booting up the CD inside. This looks just like a generic drive. Can I just stuck a Goodwill store CD drive in there?
UPDATE: whirrring was not the DVDr; it was the fan below it!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:10:17 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
This is great... I'm just replying to myself. Too bad I can't give self-Karma!  :rotfl:
So... it is just a CD ROM... so, since it's not opening/closing... working, I'll head to Goodwill tomorrow.
Also I measured the battery voltage in the MPU and it was under 3V. I bought a new one, but kept the old one connected with jumpers while I soldered the new one to the leads of the other.
The next problem I saw was the audio out plug in the "suitcase" or whatever you call the unit. It had split in half. I removed the plate covering the plugs and saw that it was covering two more audio plugs. I'm guessing they're for some other model so I just swiped the one to the right.
This wasn't exactly the easiest thing. I had to remove the board from the chassis, along with removing the CDR (which I needed to anyway) and the metal housing covering it. After unplugging another small board plugged into the larger board, I was able to carefully feed it off the stands and up to access the bottom. So... all I need to do is stick in a working CDR, plug thing all back in and see what happens!  :applause: Thanks to member tjlee for PMing me some documentation.
But if anyone else wants to chime in... that would be GREAT.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:14:10 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
From my other post but moving back here...
The fried diode was replaced on my MPU board. I'm back to the non working DVD R!
I've replaced it twice... neither will power up...no light! The old DVD will light up, but it won't work! I have NO CLUE why there would be any difference swapping one out. I tried a saferam clear and I get this after it runs through a test setup. Still no power on the DVD.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
Have you checked the CD power plug with a multimeter? Diodes don't go bad with age, it's usually a short that fry's a diode and you may have other damaged components on the board. If you have a meter and access to the board while it's turned on, try tracing back to the problem component. I would be surprised if it was just the bad diode

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 02:20:07 PM »
I'm not sure what voltages are on the plug.
I found them... +5 and +12. I'll check.
But... when I put in the original DVD, it does power up. Problem is it wont open or close and read the disk.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:38:22 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »
Okay tested ... +5 and +12 are were they're supposed to be. Maybe I just have a second bad DVD? I could completely rule this out I guess by taking out mine from my desktop. I know it works!

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »
Does the original drive spin up it is trying to read? When you turn the machine on it should "hit" the drive and the light on the front should flicker showing that the system looked for it and found it. Could be that the machine just isn't recognizing the drive for some reason. Or you have two bad drives:(  From what I've seen across the 2 NLG sites over the years it doesn't look like the EVO's were widely sold in the retail market< mostly converted, trashed or sold overseas. Finding a good pool of knowledge on these may only be slightly easier than finding the fountain of youth which may be the reason for the lack of responses to your posts on this. That and the fact that the dealers, who are your best bet for information, probably are closed for the holiday weekend

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
is this a evo or evo hybrid, an evo hybrid has the reels. thair will be a small board in the top box that splices into the data line for the printer if this board is not inplace you will not have a working touch screen. the white connecter im not sure what it goes to off the top of my head (i can check next time im near a "stock" evo) but that type connector normally is ac power for fans, lights, and other accessories. yes the drive is a normal dvd drive but make sure the replacement has the correct jumper config and the other side of the ide cable is in the correct port on the motherboard to the computer.

Online tjlee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
Mark  What the top display says has nothing to do with the slot operating.  The codes on the top display are error codes for the Mikohn setup inside the top cabinet and not error codes for the slot itself.  First of all, are you getting a boot up screen with this when it is turned on??  It should say EVO Evolution Series and at the bottom it should show what it is testing--Flash BIOS, LOW RAM, HIGH RAM, and Loading CD Rom.  You will get this immediately when the slot is turned on.  Attached is a picture of the screen.  If your not getting this I would say the game board is not working.  It won't load the CD unless this screen shows up. 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »
Does the original drive spin up it is trying to read? When you turn the machine on it should "hit" the drive and the light on the front should flicker showing that the system looked for it and found it. Could be that the machine just isn't recognizing the drive for some reason. Or you have two bad drives:(  From what I've seen across the 2 NLG sites over the years it doesn't look like the EVO's were widely sold in the retail market< mostly converted, trashed or sold overseas. Finding a good pool of knowledge on these may only be slightly easier than finding the fountain of youth which may be the reason for the lack of responses to your posts on this. That and the fact that the dealers, who are your best bet for information, probably are closed for the holiday weekend

No... no spin no light. But the old one will light up in front.
I think I'll cannibalize the one from my computer!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »
Mark  What the top display says has nothing to do with the slot operating.  The codes on the top display are error codes for the Mikohn setup inside the top cabinet and not error codes for the slot itself.  First of all, are you getting a boot up screen with this when it is turned on??  It should say EVO Evolution Series and at the bottom it should show what it is testing--Flash BIOS, LOW RAM, HIGH RAM, and Loading CD Rom.  You will get this immediately when the slot is turned on.  Attached is a picture of the screen.  If your not getting this I would say the game board is not working.  It won't load the CD unless this screen shows up.

The "dot" screen on the top box goes through a series of ram tests... and then shows what I posted earlier. The CRT only lights up with a "no signal" message.

Online tjlee

• Sr NLG Member
  • tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
Top screen boot is totally independent from bottom of slot.  Forget it for now as it means nothing when slot is booting up.  A no signal screen means no video into the monitor but monitor is working.  THe bottom suitcase is not booting up at all and I can't really tell you if it is the suitcase that is bad or the top game game board or maybe both.  I guess there is no way of testing this without exchanging  the suitcase and/or game board with a working one.  I could  send you a new processor chip for the suitcase just to see if this gets you a boot screen.  I also have video cards for the suitcase.  This could be bad too.  They had loads of problems with the suitcase in these slots due to heat buildup and the ventilation being poor.  Also, do you have an ATX power supply you can sub for the one in the machine??  I have several here I can test to see if they are good and I could send you one of these but any supply out of an older ATX computer should work.  FInd a supply and sub it and see if that gets the suitcase working in the slot.  Again you should be getting the boot screen in my last post.  If you can't find a ATX supply let me know. 

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
Could a bad CMOS battery on the upper CPU cause this issue?

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
I replaced the 3.6v battery on the top board. I checked the battery in the suitcase and it reads just barely under 3 vdc.
I swapped out the DVD with one from my own PC... which I'm on now! Still not working. For some odd reason, the original DVD drive light comes on. The others don't including my last swap...and I know it works.

Online tjlee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
DVD isn't booting because bottom computer is not booting.  I think once you get a boot screen DVD will work.  Try exchanging the ATX supply first if you can find one.  If that isn't the problem then I can send you a processor chip and video card to sub on the suitcase board.  You must get the bottom computer up and running first.  Battery voltages are OK.  Top game board battery I think should be 3.6 volts but 3 volts is OK but I would replace it soon. Things to change in suitcase are processor, video card, and maybe memory.   

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
it sounds like the computer in the big box (suitcase) isnt coming on when it should. can you upload a pic of the inside of it maybe you have one of the wires connected in the wrong place when you repaired the board? also you spoke of a possible power problem in your pm the 12v system (cd drive runs off 12v) is powered off the big atx computer power supply mounted to the right side of the cabinet under the suitcase. this power supply will only come on if the computer motherboard in the suitcase tells it to. so my best bet is something is wrong with the suitcase computer or the 12/5v power supply mounted to the side.

evos are not that popular of a machine i have worked with them quite a bit but mostly i convert them to kiosk or pos computers and i built one into a mame cabinet.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
Thanks everyone so far...
Just to clarify things.

I replaced d9 (diode) in the top board. It was fried... literally. It happened before I bought the slot.
I replaced the battery in the top board. It was under 3volts.
I tested the battery in the suitcase. It measures very close to 3volts.
I checked the input voltage to the DVD rom. It's 5v on one side and 12v on the other so the ATX is working, I believe.
I've replaced the DVD rom with a known working unit. Neither will engage the CD. The original one will light, but for some reason the other one won't.
"Whirring sound" was NOT the DVDr...it was the fan. I blew it out and it's quieter now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:31:25 PM by shortrackskater »

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
in the suitcase you have a connecter that has 2 wires one orange one gray are you sure its plugged in the proper location i think it is the reset lines from the mpu.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 09:06:43 PM »
Removed the suitcase again...checked all wires...the IDE wasn't connected from the drive to the board... BUT it didn't make any change! It may have been unplugged all along. I did lift that board out to replace the audio connector but I left the cables alone. I thought for sure this would have been part of the problem. Everything is as it was listed in my last post.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal